Author Topic: Wilflex PC's Shifting Lighter on a Base  (Read 4287 times)

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
Wilflex PC's Shifting Lighter on a Base
« on: June 02, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
We recently got a Wilflex PC mixing system, and have been pretty happy with it so far.  This week, we've had to deal with some pretty precise color matching, and every color I mix looks great in the bucket, and then shifts way lighter on an underbase and throws the color off completely.  It doesn't seem to be a heat issue, as it looks the same with the base completely cooled down. 

I've tried both Wilflex Mixing Base and Synergy Base with the same results.  We don't have these issues with our house colors, only the ones we mix.. I'm currently using Miami Superior as an underbase, but am gonna switch it out to Synergy White and see if it makes a difference.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm at my wits end and need to get these jobs out the door today.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Ross_S

Re: Wilflex PC's Shifting Lighter on a Base
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »
Typical.  What color (Blues, greens, reds).  2 ways to deal with it.  Try a lower mesh count for the top color or pick a pantone that is slightly darker than the desired color.  Either one should get you where you want to be.

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 03:06:02 PM »
I am surprised this is across the board.  I would say this is most evident with saturated (middle chip) colors.  Colors with more white, or stronger pigments "should" hold color on an underlay.  Whites with BR that use the expansion agent however, can and will certainly affect (lighten) the over print color.  Do you have any straight cotton white?  If so, do a test print to see.

Are you using the Wilflex IMS software.  If so, it is easy to just decrease the base percentage (thus increasing all PC's equally by percentage).  This will allow you to have stronger color for holding on an underlay.

Wilflex PMS color formulations were approved through 156 mesh printed on white cotton.  First priority was to match color; second was to give a degree of opacity or color strength; third was to factor in cost.  The PC's are the expensive part of the formula.  Most formulas average around 20% load, but the the base can generally hold a lot more.  The software allows you to maximize the strength if required.
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 03:21:24 PM »
My first thought would be the ink's translucency explaining the difference of how it looks in the bucket as opposed to a super thin film atop a white base.
Couldn't you just kick up its opacity?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 03:22:54 PM »
The colors I've had issues with today are three colors in the blue & purple range, on top of a base coat of cotton white.  I am using the IMS software, and just figured out how to clone a formula and adjust the percentage of base.  For reference, what is the max pigment load?  The color I'm currently shooting for lists as 86.65% base, and gives a warning at anything under 75% base.  Is this warning system a good rule of thumb to how far pigs can be pushed?

Thanks for the quick responses.

Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 03:25:27 PM »
My first thought would be the ink's translucency explaining the difference of how it looks in the bucket as opposed to a super thin film atop a white base.
Couldn't you just kick up its opacity?

Yeah, I'm just not quite sure how to make that happen as I'm still pretty green when it comes to plastisol mixing systems.  I was under the impression that different bases would offer different opacity levels, but after using two different bases with similar results, it seems to be the pigment part of the equation that makes the difference. 
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 03:29:15 PM »
The colors I've had issues with today are three colors in the blue & purple range, on top of a base coat of cotton white.  I am using the IMS software, and just figured out how to clone a formula and adjust the percentage of base.  For reference, what is the max pigment load?  The color I'm currently shooting for lists as 86.65% base, and gives a warning at anything under 75% base.  Is this warning system a good rule of thumb to how far pigs can be pushed?

Thanks for the quick responses.

The warning in the software is what you need to use as MAX.  I would always stay a little below. 

The base load depends COMPLETELY on the pigments used.  For instance, you can use roughly 4x the amount of white pc as black pc.  So in your example, less than 14% pc load in the original formula.  If you increased it to 20% (which is 80% base, well below the minimum of 75%), you are effectively increasing the pigment load by over 40%!  This will definitely improve the coverage on white underlay. 
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 03:33:06 PM »
I will add that certain pigments are much weaker in strength.  For instance, Marine Blue (red shade) is highly saturate but very weak.  So increasing the load will have little affect on opacity.  Blue PC (green shade) is very strong.

As a general rule of thumb, heavy loads of flourescent and marine pigment will result in more transparent colors.  Your most opaque will have high loadings of white and yellow.  White and yellow will probably account for 40% of your total pigment consumption.  This is true in the Wilflex systems and the brand R systems.
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 04:42:53 PM »
Depending on garment color and Pantone transparency you could use Russell Grey as an underlay.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 02:19:22 AM »
Give the Wilflex amazing base a shot.

I started mixing with the pc system. Wasn't a fan then and still aren't as I find the pc system requires to much altering to get what you want. If you need precise color control, I mean really precise then pc is what you want as explained by the guys with pigment loading and such.

For the everyday plastisol stuff the Wilfrex epic eq series is my favorite with amazing base.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 07:16:16 AM »
if you a printing a thin deposit of ink (305 mesh) on top of the underbase, it is not thick enough to be opaque and ubase will make it look brighter. you can either compensate for that by choosing a darker shade to start with or going with thicker mesh. In case of printing WOW, thicker mesh is not an option so you'll need to make the ink darker than it needs to be. Mixing systems have to be somewhat translucent in order to work well.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 07:22:10 AM »
Also are you using the base as your finish white in the design?  If so, then you would need to "load" the pigments and use a lower mesh.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Joe Clarke

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 09:01:32 AM »
Most of the comments  so far are true Sqslabs. The problem as you have suggested; the over-print color is incompatible with the underbase. Compatibility means the over-print color wants to "wet-out" the surface of the under-base and that under-base can grip the over-print color.

Synergy Base has excellent wetting properties (low surface tension) but in this case your UB (think "Teflon") is unable to grip the over-print color.  If you put a loupe on the final print it will look "stucco". The worst colors will be blues, blacks and whites due to the type of plasticozer used in those PC's. If the color match contains any fluorescent PC the surface tension will be off the chain.

NexGen Cotton (white) will provide significantly better results. We have two years of success with our Base on our White with WPC's. In a 150-ish mesh it will flash in 1-2 seconds but even if you over flash (3-5 sec) the color will be more homogenouo.

Use NexGen Base over NexGen Cotton and if the results are anything short of superb, PM me and we will work on it together.

Joe Clarke
CPR
Home of Smilin'Jack & Synergy Inks
joeclarke@cprknowsjack.com

Offline AAMike

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 09:22:49 AM »
My former company used two underlays on every job, an in-house made cotton gray (made from cotton white) underbased everything and a white only went under the lighter colors. It solved the color shifting problems. Before that we halftoned the underbase white to allow the different colors to lay on different tones.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 10:50:28 AM »
Like Pierre I'd say mesh count is key.
We have been using Wilflex PC syetem for 15+ years.

From our experience 200, 230, 255 is about as high as one can go and not let underbase effect top colors.