Author Topic: what do you drive?  (Read 18354 times)

Offline jvieira

Re: what do you drive?
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2016, 06:23:25 PM »
Some fantastic deals can be had on used Audis. Not sure why they don't hold the value, but I sure take advantage of it!

They do on this side of the pond. I bought mine with less than 100miles (it was a stand car) with a 10% discount. Sure, could not choose any features or extras but it was a 3 month car and only left the lot once.
Not sure when I'll sell it but I'm sure it'll hold its value for a long time as they usually do here.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2016, 06:59:44 PM »
Perhaps this Audi thing in this country goes back to the spurious claims that gave the 5000 the reputation for suddenly accelerating on it's own (always when pulling into a garage though)
They even had to change its name to the 100 to regain some sales.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2016, 06:41:10 AM »
I recently sold my Audi for a decent price.  Great car.  I'm now driving a 2013 Range Rover and a 1966 ca160 Honda Dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2016, 07:14:51 AM »
Perhaps this Audi thing in this country goes back to the spurious claims that gave the 5000 the reputation for suddenly accelerating on it's own (always when pulling into a garage though)
They even had to change its name to the 100 to regain some sales.

a friend of mine had a 1987 Audi 5000 turbo quattro - he was able to get 415,000 miles on it.  sold it after the gas line and heater core both broke.  now he has an A4 which is a bit less fun to drive - but dosent leak gas.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2016, 01:59:01 PM »
I recently sold my Audi for a decent price.  Great car.  I'm now driving a 2013 Range Rover and a 1966 ca160 Honda Dream.

How is the Rover treating you?  My wife really wanted one but I talked her into the Lexus due to the research I did on the Range Rover.  I know we won't see the Lexus service department other than oil changes for the next 4-5 years but the reviews I read on the Range Rover went from "ok" to "awful".  Everyone absolutely loves driving them, but they spent a lot of time in the shop and not as much time on the road.  But it did seem as if most everyone was willing to overlook the reliability/dependability issues and own them due to the good times being really good.  If I thought I wouldn't be the one dealing with the vehicle every time it has an issue maybe I could see owning one, but I'd be the one taking it to and from the service department and I really didn't want that on my already full plate.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2016, 02:02:04 PM »

How is the Rover treating you?  My wife really wanted one but I talked her into the Lexus due to the research I did on the Range Rover.  I know we won't see the Lexus service department other than oil changes for the next 4-5 years but the reviews I read on the Range Rover went from "ok" to "awful".  Everyone absolutely loves driving them, but they spent a lot of time in the shop and not as much time on the road.  But it did seem as if most everyone was willing to overlook the reliability/dependability issues and own them due to the good times being really good.  If I thought I wouldn't be the one dealing with the vehicle every time it has an issue maybe I could see owning one, but I'd be the one taking it to and from the service department and I really didn't want that on my already full plate.

A few years back, I was shocked and actually appalled at the poor mileage of the Range Rovers; lower than a Suburban! Has that improved?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2016, 02:18:57 PM »

my Land Rover, true to it's British heritage had some electrical gremlins that once left me stranded in the mountains as it would not start. From what I can remember, it was in a shop about every six months for miscellaneous maintenance and repairs.  The dealer could not fix the starting problem as it was intermittent so finally I had to fix it myself. It was a corroded connection to the starter relay (you'd think the dealer would check that after going back for the third time!). Absolutely LOVED driving it, or I should say having it, as it handled like a wobbly truck (my other car at the same time was a high performance sedan which made the loose handling less palatable), but oh boy did I love to drive it in the snow. Even the Audi can't match it's performance in the crappy weather. It really was robust, go anywhere, don't fear anything (except the starting problem) kind of vehicle. It took a century to get to 60 mph (12 seconds or so) and it got 12 mpg. I still look at getting another one every now and then (looking for a 7 passenger vehicle), but then I remember the sloppy handling and disregard. The repairs, the low mpg I could live with, but feeling like a boat with an anchor dragging, was too much.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2016, 02:20:15 PM »
I just picked up the Rover and its certified and under warranty most likely for the duration of my ownership.  It's so nice that I'm going to overlook any slight maintenance issues I might come into.  Truthfully I am motivated by aesthetics over most anything else as I drive so little.  This truck is so nice to drive it would take a lot for me to get rid of it.

The gas mileage is awful.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2016, 05:24:50 PM »

A few years back, I was shocked and actually appalled at the poor mileage of the Range Rovers; lower than a Suburban! Has that improved?

I don't think it has improved at near the level/rate that other vehicles have.  But the Rover is probably much like my 93' Land Cruiser in that it got almost identical mpg as my 2006 Cruiser did.  The wife's GX might get 15 on average and I squeezed 18 out of it driving to Dallas and I had to work to get that.  You compare those 2 SUVs with my Dad's Ram pickup and you have to wonder what the hell Range Rover and Toyota are doing.  The Ram is the Longhorn edition so it has a bunch of features but getting 25 mpg out of it isn't that hard on the highway and that blows my mind.  How can they not build a Land Cruiser that can get AT LEAST 18 mpg?  They are incredibly heavy vehicles but still, it shouldn't be that hard these days.  And don't get me started on not being able to get a diesel engine in a Toyota here in the States, it's ridiculous.  I'd be selling a kidney to buy a brand new diesel powered Land Cruiser or Prado here in the states.  I don't even think you can import one under any circumstances and the engine conversions that a lot of guys do with their 80-series Land Cruisers are around $20K when I checked about 8 years ago. 

My dad had a Tundra 4.7L V8 put in the 93' Cruiser and it's better than the old straight 6 that was in it but it doesn't have near the gitty-up that my 08' Tundra had and it's hard to believe that they had the same engine.  My Tundra would flat out fly but the Cruiser just sounds incredible and could maybe do 0-60 in 11-12 seconds.  But man does it sound tough.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2016, 10:55:23 PM »
We just drove down from Wichita Kansas through Round Rock (and Pflugerville) to Austin to buy another used Subaru Forester. We've been looking for one, and found a decent one on Craigslist. We got back last night. (Alas I didn't see Alan or Mimosa anywhere!) :-)

Foresters have developed significant fan base and we've really enjoyed ours. We may keep the older one and turn it into a rolling billboard. We don't really do vehicle wraps, but we can sure decorate it ourselves. We used to have a sign business before we  began to specialize in garment decorating.

Wowee Dallas isn't much fun on I35 for thru-traffic. I havent been there in about 10 years.  What a mess!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2016, 09:20:00 AM »
Rovers have the lowest owner retention rate of any vehicle.  My wife likes the way they look but I told her I would never own one(unless it's a classic).  the early British wiring systems are easy for me since I've been fixing one since 1999.  The biggest problem is when people screw with them.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2016, 09:32:24 AM »
My buddy used to be a mechanic at a Rover dealer. He said that parts of the electrical systems were designed so poorly that there was no other explanation other than they were designed to fail. I rode in one once, liked it a lot though.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2016, 09:57:47 AM »
We just drove down from Wichita Kansas through Round Rock (and Pflugerville) to Austin to buy another used Subaru Forester. We've been looking for one, and found a decent one on Craigslist. We got back last night. (Alas I didn't see Alan or Mimosa anywhere!) :-)

Foresters have developed significant fan base and we've really enjoyed ours. We may keep the older one and turn it into a rolling billboard. We don't really do vehicle wraps, but we can sure decorate it ourselves. We used to have a sign business before we  began to specialize in garment decorating.

Wowee Dallas isn't much fun on I35 for thru-traffic. I havent been there in about 10 years.  What a mess!

Dude, you should have stopped by.  You drove within about 2 minutes of our shop.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2016, 01:47:16 PM »

Dude, you should have stopped by.  You drove within about 2 minutes of our shop.

I would have loved to!

Unfortunately, our time frame wasn't flexible AT ALL, and I doubt you'd have liked to have a visitor at 11:00 PM on Friday evening, or 9:30 on Saturday morning.

Google said you were open 24 hours, 5 days a week. It just couldn't happen at any reasonable time, so I didn't even call.

I've never driven 1100 miles round trip for a test drive, but my son flew to New Jersey to ride home a Harley he bought sight unseen. And another time he flew to Chicago to ride home a Suzuki GSXR for an employee of mine who bought it online while serving in Iraq.

So far we really like the Forester we drove home. Fingers crossed....

Our shop is 60 miles one way from our house. (50 of it is rural 2-lane asphalt, lightly traveled) So I've often had a mild interest in a Diesel VW or something with really good MPG for when we actually do make the drive. We have an apartment in the city, so often one or both of us stays in town. At 2 bucks a gallon, I'm not so interested in an econobox. If fuel goes nearly double that again, then yeah. Maybe....

Those teensy weensy outfits often do poorly in a collision too.

I sure wish we'd have stayed at some place in Round Rock, instead of The Roach Motel I picked online. The missus will NEVER let me pick a spot again! I did the Travelocity thing and the reviews I happened to read were deceptive.