Author Topic: Casters for Kruzer  (Read 3002 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Casters for Kruzer
« on: January 19, 2016, 04:06:35 PM »
Real quick, anyone know the specs for these (bolt diameter, threading, etc).  Due to the layout of my shop I frequently have to remove platens and scoot my press a bit and I'm tired of it.  Just want to grab some casters and be done with it.  Too busy today to just grab a nut off the press and try to match it up...

edit: it looks like the "feet" are 5/8 - 11 threads, but im having trouble finding a stem caster that meets those specs...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 04:14:28 PM by mimosatexas »

Offline KrisB

Re: Casters for Kruzer
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 05:13:26 PM »
Hello,
 Please contact me at kris.bochenek@mrprint.com
Thank you,

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 06:48:31 PM »
sent.  thanks!

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:19:16 PM »
I have ordered a set from Caster City. The 6" from grainger seemed too tall to me for some reason and no wheel locks. I'll report back when they are on the press if it seems more "tippy" than usual.

Ordered: 4  3RH3BX-TS5/8-TB    $19.03
Swivel Caster, High Capacity 3 x 1-1/4 Gray Soft Rubber Ball Bearing Wheel, Threaded Stem 5/8-11 x 1-3/4, Brake

Ordered: 1  DSC    ($3.81)
Product Discount

==================================================================

Product Total: $72.31
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $14.49
Order Total: $86.80
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 05:42:17 PM »
please do!  Yea the 6" height seemed crazy high to me.  3" seems perfect.  I don't need to smoothly go over cables and stuff, just be able to scoot it a bit now and then.  Let me know how you like em.

I came across a few options for around $15 each on ebay the other day while looking, but cannot say how cheap/shitty they are...

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 08:39:22 PM »
in some ways you might be better off using a base like they use for table saws and shop equipment:

http://grizzly.com/products/Super-Heavy-Duty-Mobile-Base/D2058A

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 09:55:46 PM »
Realizing height may be an issue, but,

The bigger the wheel, the easier the roll, especially on heavy stuff.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 10:58:43 PM »
Can't help you, but I manufactured the most Rube Goldberg-esque monstrosity you ever saw for my Hopkins. You can't see it, because the wheels are hidden underneath, mounted beneath a platform. When I want to move it, I squeeze the base together with the cobbled together frame with 4 C-clamps about 3 turns each. That raises the base up just a skoshe to hang under the plywood, which is on wheels. The wheels (steel) are always on the floor too, but just resting there, out of sight. It rolls around great, but wow. I built it when I installed my auto.

Whoever thunked up that mess needs help, bad.  :o

The UPside, is that the manual press is right where it was, height wise. No brakes needed. It's Rock Solid, and it was cheap enough to do in terms of $$$. Time is another story, but January is always slooow. After a year of using it, I found I don't roll it around as much as I thought I would. But it is pretty valuable from time to time.

Think 4-wheeled dolley...like a scooterboard....where the wooden part is actually ABOVE the square tubing of the base. The swivel casters are always on the floor. Clamp the base to the frame and the press comes up about an 1/8th of an inch. The wooden platform makes a handy table underneath the press where I can put more JUNK that I can't seem to get rid of.

Help. Me. Please.

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 12:27:49 PM »
Got the casters. Threw them on. Work great. Roll easy. Can push the press with your hip to roll it. Doesn't feel like its going to tip at all. I'm not sure if they will roll over cords, so I'm sure the 6" would be better for that aspect.

We threaded them all the way up and locked them with the Kruzers original nuts. Guys like the press as high as it can be.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 03:15:18 PM »
ok awesome!

Any issue with wobble or movement while printing?

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 03:32:58 PM »
Lock them all, the press doesn't move. You can use them just like the previous legs to to level the press. Thread up or thread down. Pretty surprising actually. Now the guys are making fun of how excited I am over casters...pushing the thing all over the place.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 03:42:36 PM »
man crap, I'm excited too!  Being able to move stuff around easily in my shop is essential.  Almost everything I own is on casters...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
Wanted to update this to thank Lucky for the tip on the casters.  Finally got around to installing them and they are rock solid.  Makes moving the press super easy as well.

Offline starchild

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 09:11:09 AM »
Check these dropdown casters from Vastex
http://www.vastex.com/News-Releases/Z-0488-Casters.php

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk