Author Topic: What happened to Marcodie?  (Read 10452 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: What happened to Marcodie?
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2016, 08:04:12 AM »
Would it be possible to somehow copy the programing or whatever all those big words Jason was talking about, off of a running machine in the field?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2016, 08:23:46 AM »
Would it be possible to somehow copy the programing or whatever all those big words Jason was talking about, off of a running machine in the field?

If the machine is complete, and we are talking just someone like Bink putting it together and a plan trip to a running machine to copy the software... still seems like a good deal.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2016, 08:24:05 AM »
it might be easier to buy it from Marcodie directly. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2016, 08:27:35 AM »
it might be easier to buy it from Marcodie directly. . .

pierre
Oh yes,  because they have proven to be a honest bunch....  :P
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2016, 09:06:14 AM »
depending on the type and how the PLC is programmed, it's not just as simple as 'copying' the code off.

Many times you need the original source, and a programmer to 'compile' the code before uploading it. 

this is special, custom stuff that's developed by the PLC manufacturer themselves.  If I remember correctly, the programming 'software' for the Mitsubishi PLC's costs around 5k

Offline SI

• !!!
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2016, 09:20:58 AM »
On Siemens and Allen Bradley PLC's you can upload from the PLC to a laptop if you have the software and correct cable (PLC terminology is backwards from the normal way of thinking)  The problem with this is when the PLC programmer writes the logic they have all kinds of comments that tell you what the code is doing.  None of that gets downloaded to the PLC, just the raw code to save memory.  So if you did get the code off somehow, you would have no idea what you were looking at if it didn't work.  On top of that the Touch screen would have another separate program needed to communicate to it and its own code.  If either of these two pieces were not on the machine you would have a giant paperweight unless Marcodie were to give these to you.  But then even if they did, depending on the PLC you would need a copy of the software, and in the case of a Siemens PLC a special $500 cable just to hook up to it.  Not to mention Siemens PLC software is in the Thousands like Jason mentioned.

If Marcodie wouldn't give either of these two pieces of information to you, it wouldn't matter if the press were free, it would be a waste of money on something as complex as that machine.