Author Topic: Vacuum Platen Recommendations  (Read 3608 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Vacuum Platen Recommendations
« on: June 13, 2016, 06:10:41 PM »
Tried to search here but couldn't find anything.  Anyone have a recommendation for a good, flat, vacuum platen?  We have brackets to mount so brand isn't a big deal, just need a quality one to stick on our manual and one of the autos on occasion.

Thanks!

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Vacuum Platen Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 06:46:11 PM »
Tried to search here but couldn't find anything.  Anyone have a recommendation for a good, flat, vacuum platen?  We have brackets to mount so brand isn't a big deal, just need a quality one to stick on our manual and one of the autos on occasion.

Thanks!

we have the action one, and it's fine. It's hard for us to get our shop vac to stay attached though. this is very helpful, i'm sure.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »
These are really easy to make.  I helped someone a few months back and they posted photos on the boards.  I've made 3 of them over the years and they never take more than a few hours, 90% of it is just drilling the holes.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 09:05:30 PM »
You helped me build one too! Thanks a bunch!

Mine works fine and my hose stays attached. Cheap and effective.

If you have more money than time, or don't have access to a scrap yard, sure. Buy one. Action builds great stuff.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 09:31:04 PM »
Cool, I ordered up Action's.  I really just need it to be flat, like within 1/32".   Flatstock doesn't like a 100% change in off contact from corner to corner of the sheet. 

I'd love to actually build one but we sold an older flatstock press to free up precious space and the idea was to buy a platen to replace it so we have some funds earmarked already and I have no time to tinker.

Thanks y'all.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 10:00:55 PM »
I think you'll be happy. If not, Action will make it right.

Offline Action1

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 03:44:14 PM »
I think you'll be happy. If not, Action will make it right.

Yes of course we would and thank you for saying that sir. However - we won't have to because he will be very happy with it.

They are made using honeycomb aluminum and are incredible flat and lightweight.

Here's a video of the vacuum pallet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwB0BUQpc2I

Erik
www.actionengineering.com
770-717-1000

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 08:30:08 AM »
Make sure you update us on this once you get the pallet Zoo.

Also, I'm curious if anyone has the M&R platen or system and how it would compare.  http://www.mrprint.com/en/Textile%20Screen%20Printing%20Equipment/Pallets%20&%20Platens%20for%20Screen%20Printing/Standard%20&%20Specialty%20Pallets%20&%20Platens/SUREVAC%20Vacuum%20Pallet%20System

I noticed they don't sell these through their store for some reason, or at least I couldn't find it.  Very few reviews or discussion about them that I can find.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 02:35:37 PM »
Did you ever get this Zoo?  Any thoughts?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 04:40:22 PM »
Hasn't arrived or shipped for that matter....

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 04:49:43 PM »
K. how long ago did you order out of curiosity? Feel free to PM me instead.  Interested in comparing theirs to my DIY one...

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 09:43:17 PM »
June 15th.  Will do my best to post a quick review when it finally gets here.

Offline Action1

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »
June 15th.  Will do my best to post a quick review when it finally gets here.

It's shipping today.
Erik

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 09:40:52 PM »
Here's a quick review finally:

The holes are super big on this vac platen which concerned me at first but printing T-105 transfer paper, which is all we've used on it so far, is no problem.  Might present an issue with thin or light flatstock but all we do is trans paper and the odd poster on heavier cover stock so no real worries for us, we don't print on tissue paper or anything.  The suction is serious and a major plus.  I have it hooked up to a little shop vac with a remote.  A heftier vacuum would likely be way too much on this platen. 

Platen is flat.  Which puts it above and beyond the one we initially purchased.  A dead flat platen is critical imho for tight flatstock printing, you have enough to deal with already with the sheets changing dimensions on you. 

It looks like it'll just barely take an 18x24 sheet but it's smaller size let's it table up on most autos.  The overall size of the platen could be a pro or a con depending on how you want to use it.

Only cons I have are that the edges adhered to the vac bed to provide some real estate for reg tabs aren't on plane with the rest of the platen.  Ours stick up a little proud of the plane of the vac bed on a slight upwards tilt.  Hasn't been an issue but I don't like metal edges poking up into high mesh screens.   Also, the platen is "higher" on the plane than a standard M&R style platen due to it's thickness which requires o.c. adjustments.  Would like to see tooling like this have a shorter bracket to compensate and avoid adjustments but I get that the engineering of this matter can be complicated with so many presses using the M&R style bracket. 

I'd recommend this overall, decent price and quality build.