Author Topic: Printing positives  (Read 4463 times)

Offline jvieira

Printing positives
« on: June 19, 2016, 04:41:55 PM »
What do you guys use to print film positives? We're running an Epson 4900 but it's crap, the heads keep clogging and we're just about done with it. It's our most frustrating piece of equipment right now.

We're not large enough to buy into CTS and I know there's other options out there (Techstyler, etc). What are you running and are you happy with it?

Offline ol man

Re: Printing positives
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 05:27:23 PM »
The 4900 is the worst equipment purchase i ever made,,, however we just replaced it with the t3270, so far i very impressed -

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 06:14:51 PM »
the 4880 with refill carts is the goto printer for film

If you run accurip you can pick and choose what print head to use if the main black head is a little off.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 07:28:10 PM »
I have been absolutely loving my 4800 since getting it setup with the refill carts and accuink.

Offline jvieira

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 07:51:10 PM »
Epson 4880 has been discontinued, i can no longer buy it new :/ I'm not a fan of buying used, really don't need other people's problem

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 08:37:47 PM »
Epson 4880 has been discontinued, i can no longer buy it new :/ I'm not a fan of buying used, really don't need other people's problem

buy new.. hah!

it's the workhorse cause you can buy a used one for a couple hundred bucks, drop in the refill carts and off you go. When it kicks the bucket you just buy another used cheap one.. and now you have a parts machine and can start swapping heads and whatnot.

I spent 200 bucks on my 4800 and it ran film for a year problem free before giving it to a friend who still uses it 2ish years later
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:40:17 PM by jsheridan »

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 10:46:34 PM »

If you run accurip you can pick and choose what print head to use if the main black head is a little off.
Word on that is though that from 2020 Epson will stop making spare parts for the 4880.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 12:22:45 AM »

Word on that is though that from 2020 Epson will stop making spare parts for the 4880.

the market is still flooded with used ones so that won't be a problem

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 08:34:06 AM »
hell, we run a 3800 with AccuRip, one head only, we're on the third channel now. Got it for $350.00 2 years ago, after our 4800 pooped out. We are considering the P800 from Epson, as we don't see DTS in our immediate future... and always buy used if you can, it's not always that somebody's having a problem as the reason that they are selling it...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 09:49:21 AM »
My 4800 was $100 because all 8 heads were clogged.  Took 2 power cleans with refill tanks full of cleaning fluid and one overnight sitting with windex under the head and it is printing like new.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 11:28:57 AM »
and always buy used if you can, it's not always that somebody's having a problem as the reason that they are selling it...

That and the second you put a refillable cart with Dye or pigment ink that isnt xxx manufacturer brand into a new printer you just voided the warranty anywho

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 02:16:12 PM »
That and the second you put a refillable cart with Dye or pigment ink that isnt xxx manufacturer brand into a new printer you just voided the warranty anywho

the courts have ruled against that. although I think that it should.  also, you drain the printer before sending it in anyway...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 04:05:05 PM »
and always buy used if you can, it's not always that somebody's having a problem as the reason that they are selling it...

considering the models we're talking about, I'm not sure they are going to find a new one anywhere. But yes, it a warranty void issue, but when the printer was a 1400, it was OK, we went through 4 of them. The new ones that Epson has teamed with AccuRIP on use the epson ink...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 01:19:12 PM »
I've been using Epson 4000's for a few years, we now have a 4880.       It does the job well but Epson do everything to make our lives difficult.
If I remember correctly you are in Portugal, in Europe the Epson printers cost four times what they cost in the USA.     Why?   Epson say they have a different pricing structure in Europe.
I bought mine in the USA from B&H in NY.    They had the best price but will not sell to you and ship outside the USA.    Some agreement with Epson, you need to pay in the USA and have it shipped to a USA address, could be your shipper and then ship it Portugal.
I also buy the refillable cartridges, black UV dye and rolls of water proof film in the USA and ship it to Israel.     I'd get two sets of cartridge chips and don't forget a re setter for the cartridges and waste tank.
If I have to get a new printer I'd get the 24" Epson, they have a T series, starting at 24".    The T3270.
They sell in with Accurip but check if you can use it with bulk cartridges.     I use Accurip on my 4880 and it works very well.
The T 3270 24" costs $2295 from B&H with a $500 rebate.
Personally I'm looking forward to going to CTS and now having to deal with Epson but I must say that if you look after them they work well.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline jvieira

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 12:45:55 PM »
I've been using Epson 4000's for a few years, we now have a 4880.       It does the job well but Epson do everything to make our lives difficult.
If I remember correctly you are in Portugal, in Europe the Epson printers cost four times what they cost in the USA.     Why?   Epson say they have a different pricing structure in Europe.
I bought mine in the USA from B&H in NY.    They had the best price but will not sell to you and ship outside the USA.    Some agreement with Epson, you need to pay in the USA and have it shipped to a USA address, could be your shipper and then ship it Portugal.
I also buy the refillable cartridges, black UV dye and rolls of water proof film in the USA and ship it to Israel.     I'd get two sets of cartridge chips and don't forget a re setter for the cartridges and waste tank.
If I have to get a new printer I'd get the 24" Epson, they have a T series, starting at 24".    The T3270.
They sell in with Accurip but check if you can use it with bulk cartridges.     I use Accurip on my 4880 and it works very well.
The T 3270 24" costs $2295 from B&H with a $500 rebate.
Personally I'm looking forward to going to CTS and now having to deal with Epson but I must say that if you look after them they work well.

That is exactly right. My 4900 cost around $3000 new (and I searched everywhere, it was the best price I found). I was looking at used 4880 and only found one for almot $900. Whenever I see guys from the US saying they bought used ones for $100 it just makes me angry.

Also looking forward for CTS but cannot justify the cost just yet. Maybe when they go down to $15.000