Author Topic: Retro faded look  (Read 16516 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Retro faded look
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2011, 07:18:12 PM »
Eventually, Gilly is going to pay me (or you, or someone else in his building) to proofread.

He could also always send a proof to his clients to both put the responsibility on them, (and show how things get by him! lol)

Sorry Gilligan, we all make mistakes, but you are batting 0 for 2 with the last things that you have posted.

They way I taught my kid about periods and commas are relating them to breathing when the words are spoken. A short breath, a comma, a long breath, a period. Pretty simple.
A pause during a thought, a comma, A completed thought, a period.

Now, apostrophe use in this country is a losing war, to be fought another time.

I seem to recall beating the apostrophe "horse" to death a few months ago...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2011, 07:26:06 PM »
As you say, the horse is pretty dead, I mean minimal offense, so let's just leave it at;
Many apparently missed that thread. ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »
I did.....

And I think I'm glad....  :)
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2011, 10:30:25 PM »
I blame the internet and these damn "smart" phones and texting and what not.  I find myself using exceptionally bad written grammar and punctuation more and more as the years go on.  My verbal grammar was hopeless from the get go, but I'd sure like to maintain some air or mild sophistication in the written word. 

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2011, 10:54:14 PM »
BOCTAAE LOl!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2011, 11:03:27 PM »
You guys sure know how to kick a guy when he's down. :p

ACTUALLY... both of those grammar mistakes were on the wife.  She's the artist, I'm the technician.  The brochures were proofed by me and several others... granted I didn't check spelling I just checked for content and how it read... gave some input on what I didn't like and what I did and kept proofing each edition.  Others did proof for spelling... oh well.

This one was the wife and daughter (she was essentially the customer).  I caught it about 75% through the run.  Wasn't stopping then.  I asked if they noticed and she said yes (they were for a class field trip)... she said the teacher fussed at those that said anything about it.  Saying if they want it "right" then they can pay to have theirs redone.  LOL  But the daughter proofed and had final say over the whole project, even printed a test shirt and brought it in for her to look at.  She designed the shirts on paper and the wife transfered it to illustrator.

BTW, guess which to pro "is that all we need to know" screen printers didn't lift a finger to print the shirts?  ;)  They did take FOUR hours sorting and folding 110 shirts... not sure how that works. LOL  At least I wasn't paying them for it! haha!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2011, 11:04:14 PM »
Back to the topic though...

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php?topic=2084.0

There is the halftone test results.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2011, 12:09:26 AM »
I was already off to a bad start before the internet even began and before we had any phone other than a rotary dial.

I spent quite a few years sending out dots and dashes around the world and we had our own set of abbreviations.

By the way, I still hold an Advanced License (WB5WMF), but my equipment has not been powered up in over 15 years.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2011, 12:16:53 AM »
LOL... I never messed with HAM stuff but I did fool around with some CB's... I still have an export model in the shed... I use it from time to time on long trips but it's rarely worth it.

I had a buddy that had some bootleg homemade linear stuff... he had a switch with a bank of batteries in his trunk that would kick on.  He could talk to Seattle from here in Louisiana... it was actually Sir Mix-a-lot on the other end... he's big into CB's also.  Interesting stuff... but a whole different world than HAM.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2011, 11:18:30 AM »
Well, I started out shooting skip on CB myself.  It was fun, very sporadic, but whetted the appetite enough for motivation to spend the time and money and go the "right" way.

Oddly enough, I really enjoyed working Morse Code.  When you get up to about 20 words per minute, you start to recognize simple words like 'the' 'and', etc as words and not letters.   Like screen printing, I guess, it was something not everyone could do.  Anyone could pick up a Mike and talk. 

I sent in my confirmation cards for WAS (Worked All States on Morse Code) certification from ARRL.  I did have to cheat a little.  Alaska was a rarity to find on by chance so I called a guy on the phone to set up an on-air time schedule.

I collected cards (QSL) from many countries that no longer exist (radio wise).  Mostly the old Soviet Bloc ones that have been split off.  It was great fun back in the 70's, but alas a time gone by thanks, in part, to the internet.

My most notable (and tragic) confirmation card is from the People's Temple.  It still gives me shivers when I think about it.  The guy that was on the radio and sent the card was Albert Touchette.  It's been over 30 years now and I don't think I'll ever forget that name.  He later was identified as one of the group that attacked and killed the California Congressman (and others) at the airstrip.  My contact was nearly a year before the suicides (12/30/77) and I remember he was very upbeat as to the good they were doing.....at the time.

http://users.tellurian.com/gjurrens/WB6MID.html

I still have the Kenwood TS-520, but the beam antenna and other stuff is long gone.

BTW, the halftone looked pretty good, but I only looked at one due to the extremely slow download time.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:31:23 AM by screenxpress »

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2011, 12:00:44 PM »
Hmm... I'll move them over to my server here at work and repoint the link... I have 10mb uplink here (but I get 20!!) :)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2011, 01:14:39 PM »
watching the image download was like I remember with dial-up - painting one pixel line across a second.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »
Got it... Sorry about that... the wife has been complaining about transfer speeds but she also has a flaky wireless card and I just assumed it was acting up again.

Obviously not... you are right though, it was EXACTLY dial up speed.

Hey, I told you this was RETRO! LOL

Now they should FLY at least 10mb speeds!  Again, sorry for that please take look again.