Author Topic: EZGrip Squeegee Handle  (Read 45662 times)

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Re: EZGrip Squeegee Handle
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2016, 03:32:51 PM »
Just a short review.

So far I've only did some test prints and I printed a few add ons for a job I did last week.

First impressions - I really like the materials used. The plastic has a nice feel in the hand and I like the shape of the grips. Also, like said before, I love how the squeegee is installed. I think it is way better then screws, glue, staples, etc. This should be the standard for manual squeegees in my opinion. I'm also a big fan of how you can lay the squeegee down without the blade getting ink all over the place. It's a simple feature, but I love it.

After a few prints this felt very natural. I felt no tension or pain in my fingers or wrists. It actually feels like you are getting a little pump in your forearms and biceps, which I'll take any day over wrist and finger pain.

Afterwards I went back to print with a tradition squeegee, and I gotta say, I don't think I like them as much anymore. I can put much more even and consistent pressure down when using the EZgrip. I think this may be my go to squeegee, but that remains to be seen as I'd like to do a larger run before I make up my mind. I think for long or oversized prints, this is a real winner. I understand not everyone will feel the same because many manual printers out there are getting exceptional results with the push stroke. But I've always been a puller and this just feels right to me.

I'll put it though its paces over the next week. I have plenty to print so I hope my positive first impressions will remain that way.

« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2016, 04:36:40 PM »
PROS

First, I'd like to thanks everyone for following this thread; it has been very enjoyable sharing my product and story with you.

I stated early that I felt like I was putting my reputation on the line by offering printers from the forum to act as spokesman for TheEZGrip's introduction to the market place. Remember, this product is basically brand new and has never been judged in public before.   

This could make me or break me! Bad reviews and I'm dog meat.

Well, if any of the subsequent reviews are 1/2 as good as Nation03's, I can breathe easy.

The following are some quotes from the review. My intent is to give you a condensed synopsis and not alter Jake's intent, so please take the time to read the above post.

"First impressions - I really like the materials used...

I love how the squeegee is installed...This should be the standard for manual squeegees...

big fan of how you can lay the squeegee down without the blade getting ink all over the place...

no tension or pain in my fingers or wrists...

tradition squeegee, and I gotta say, I don't think I like them as much anymore...

more even and consistent pressure down when using the EZgrip...

getting exceptional results with the push stroke..."

Thanks Jake, it doesn't come much better than that.

3 min. video     http://www.theezgrip.com/video-demo.html

Read great reviews and more info on the EZ Grip here:
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,18181.180.html

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2016, 04:52:17 PM »
I appreciate the free sample. I'll definitely have more input, but so far I already plan on ordering at least 4 more. I can't weigh in on printing water based ink with this squeegee as I don't really do much water based at all, but for pulling plastisol, I'm very pleased.

If these end up taking off, you should consider making oversized handles for jumbo printing. I'm sure a lot of manual printers are struggling with doing oversized/jumbo prints in large volumes, and I personally feel that this handle makes printing long and wide prints much more bearable.

« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2016, 05:22:56 PM »
Jake, plan on making a wider one in about 1 year.

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2016, 03:32:32 PM »
PUSHING OR PULLING?

People really get stuck in old habits, and my WAS pulling. WAS? I just printed 104 - 1 color (Union White) Gilden adult 2000's using the pushing method and got the same result as when I pulled. NO DIFFERENCE.

So that ends the whole "I push so I can't use TheEZGrip" argument". If the imprint stays the same, then what does it matter? It's personal choice.

To achieve the correct print angle for the push stroke, all I did was tilt the handles in my direction by about 15 to 20 degree and the blade was perfectly aligned.

It was so easy, I'm not sure if I'll become a full time pusher, but I think I will. My helper was with me today and he liked pushing TheEZGrip better and claims it's his new method for printing.

I've added 2 pictures of TheEZGrip during a push stroke, you can see the angle is tilted my way a little bit, but not enough to diminish the ergonomics benefits of the 2 handle system, notice how straight the wrist is.   Looks like a winner pushing or pulling!

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2016, 06:46:12 PM »
WHAT HOLDS THE BLADE IN PLACE?

The blade is secured in place by our exclusive, patent pending "FRICTION GRIP SYSTEM". In the pictures below, it's clear to see the ribs that hold the blade. The ribs, 16 in all, press into the blade, assuring a secure fit every time.

Blades are advertised to be 3/8" or 375/1000. However, this varies by 20/1000. Point of reference, a piece of paper or human hair is 3/1000. Theses tolerances are within limits for the squeegee blade to function as intended, so no problem with the blade. 

Through trial and error, we discovered it was a problem for us, so we engineered opposing ribs to act as grip intensifiers. Each one at the top is 28/1000, then tapers and ends just above the base of the slot, this way, the blade's edge isn't affected and can be used later. In fact, with our system, all 4 edges can be used for printing, another money saver. The ribs are opposing, so combined they equal 56/1000, way more than the 20/1000 variance, making our grip 36/1000 tighter than need be.

Everybody really likes this system and I bet you will too.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2016, 11:49:07 AM »
Okay, Ron is anxiously awaiting my feedback on his EZ Grip. (And the sooner we all report back, maybe the sooner he'll take a deep breath and relax and slow it down a bit, you think?)

My report will be quite brief as a couple of other testers have pretty much spelled  out their pros and cons (and Ron has re-printed, and reprinted)
I also have only a pretty short run of a few dozen shirts on which to try it. That's just the way the jobs are falling this week.
I am a pusher, and as Ron has pointed out, it works fine with a push stroke. I think though that as a puller, he is not allready experiencing the positive attributes of the push stroke, including biggest reduced fatigue and wear and tear on the body. So, the benefit of this handle, in this casem, is somewhat reduced.

As others also pointed out, the easy loading of the blade is great.

The need to flood (fill) with one hand is do-able, but quite awkward feeling. I would never do this step with the screen down like Ron does, using both hands as with printing.

My first thought is that a conventional handle, made of the same material, and with the same blade locking channel could be a winner. Not everyone is completely turned off by the old standard shapes, and even some of them have a profile that is more comfortable than a conventional old school wooden or even aluminum handle.

Bottom line after my quick trial, I will continue to check it out and probably keep it for white ink, though I doubt that I will be getting a dozen or more to replace my current arsenal.

I do want to reiterate that these findings were after only a brief trial, and, if I was stuck in an all day printing situation, results and impressions could vary.
Fortunately, as I constantly point out, I am slowing down.

Thanks Ron, I was happy to be able to experience first hand your brainchild of which you are obviously quite proud.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2016, 02:16:29 PM »
PROS & CONS UPDATE

REVIEW FROM FROG (please read Frog's full review)

Well Frog didn't disappoint me. In his first paragraph he's right "(And the sooner we all report back, maybe the sooner he'll (Ron) take a deep breath and relax and slow it down a bit, you think?) YES,
I WILL! PROMISE.

Again Frog's right "your brainchild of which you are obviously quite proud"
I AM.

But seriously, I not sure how to review Frogs review.

Frogs wrote "I am a pusher, and as Ron has pointed out, it works fine with a push stroke", and then goes on to say with the print stroke the benefit of the handles are diminished. That's true Frog to some extent, but the wrists don't bend like with the wood squeegee, whether you push or pull TheEZGrip, and that's a plus, so there is a benefit to the handles. Additionally, part of the handle system (long rods at end of handles) allows one to place the squeegee in the screen during use, another advantage.   

"easy loading of the blade is great"
Thanks Frog, your right again.

"The need to flood (fill) with one hand is do-able, but quite awkward feeling." This as I have acknowledged is the MAIN CON. If holding the screen is your preferred method, sorry, TheEZGrip just won't work well for you. At this point in time, a 3rd handle won't be added, so it is what it is for now. But, If you flood with 2 hands, TheEZGrip seems to be an exceptional breakthrough for the printer.

"Bottom line after my quick trial, I will continue to check it out and probably keep it for white ink".

"though I doubt that I will be getting a dozen or more to replace my current arsenal"
 How about 1/2 dozen?

Therefore, TheEZGRIP HAS MERIT, No one can deny that, but is it for everyone? No it's not. some will love it, some won't.

THE CHOICE IS YOURS.   

Thanks Frog for you preliminary comments. I really appreciating you taking the time to work with it and share your honest thoughts.

The rest of the FREE SAMPLES have been delivered, expect more reviews soon.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2016, 02:21:15 PM »
I love Frog's idea of regular squeegee with the little rods to keep it out of the ink!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2016, 02:31:43 PM »
I love Frog's idea of regular squeegee with the little rods to keep it out of the ink!

pierre

I truly LOVE the ErgoForce handles, and they have little wires. I rarely use them and I push 100% of the time when printing manually. So the handles which are the subject of this thread don't interest me.

Anatomically, I can't fathom pulling for several hours, no no no.

I so wish Ed Long would create an auto squeegee with the "deflection extension" that his manual handles employ. I would tape them like I do my manual handles for easy clean up. But the regular M&R style deflect too much for taping. I have tried electrical tape which is quite stretchy, and it helps with ink in the cracks, but its about 6 of one vs 1/2 dozen of the other. No so the Ergo Force manual handles. I tape them every time.

Anyways, I'm all for innovation and my hat is off to this guy. It just isn't for me....

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2016, 02:35:01 PM »

pierre

The little rods are okay, but everyone seems to like the ease in which blades are installed and replaced. That being the first hands-on operation makes quite a good impression.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2016, 02:47:50 PM »
Printed a little more with it today and like I originally mentioned and others have echoed the need to two handed flood is a real deal breaker.  I can pretty confidently say that the vast majority (like 95%+) of people who print manually with any regularity do not flood with the screen down and both hands on the squeegee.  It simply slows everything down too much and wouldn't work with the minimal off contact most of us use to keep registration tight.

The other things like adding the extension to the "back" like the ergoforce design, and adjusting the handle angles etc are secondary improvements, but I would strongly encourage looking into adding some kind of rounded grip to the top center of the squeegee holder for any future iterations.  I'm actually thinking about gluing a piece of pvc to it and seeing if that "fixes" it.  Not sure why the new mold would cost $40k when it looks like most places charge closer to $8 to $10k for these kinds of molds (according to google), but that isn't my area of expertise at all so I'll have to take your word for it.  If you're already going to be making a new mold for a wider model, you should look at adding the other changes possibly...

I think everyone agrees the squeegee holder is the most valuable design feature, and I would look into possibly licensing that part of the design so other form factors can take advantage of it.  I would definitely use a traditional squeegee with it.

edit:  I could care less about the rods.  Honestly they got in the way more than the helped, and I prop my squeegees either against the back of the frame holder or use a lightweight squeeze clamp attached to the side of the frame to hold my squeegee closer to the print area for small designs which works fine.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:51:14 PM by mimosatexas »

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2016, 03:06:47 PM »
I printed 63 shirts yesterday with it. Went pretty smooth and I didn't notice any loss or gain of quality. but my hands seem to like this squeegee a lot more. I could do without the rods on the handles as well.

I don't really flood the screen since I'm not printing water based, so that hasn't effected me really. But I see that is an area were it can be improved for the people out there that are flooding the screen often.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2016, 03:26:48 PM »

I don't really flood the screen since I'm not printing water based, so that hasn't effected me really. But I see that is an area were it can be improved for the people out there that are flooding the screen often.

Not quite sure about your approach on this. With waterbased and solvent inks, floods help to keep the ink from drying in the open areas of the stencil. With plastisol, the flood or fill stroke fills the well created by the stencil, to be then sheared by the squeegee, depositing the ink as a kinda' capillary action.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2016, 03:31:18 PM »
Understandable. I never noticed a difference in quality on plastisol prints when flooding vs not flooding. Tried em both and I felt like the flood was just slowing me down with out any real gains in quality.