Author Topic: Grayscale to color in Photoshop  (Read 2666 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Grayscale to color in Photoshop
« on: July 15, 2016, 03:41:12 PM »
Ok I got a family that's wants to use one color royal blue of all colors for a a black persons picture, I got in grayscale/desaturate, now how do I get that in all blue color...yes I have forgot a step, it's just for them to look at.  If I didn't have to show them I'd be fine LOL
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Grayscale to color in Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 04:07:06 PM »
I am no PS wizard, and in fact, still use v7, LOL! I hope that this is what you are talking about.
At any rate, the question intrigued me so I grabbed a pic I had open anyway, mode to grayscale (like I think you said you already did)
Then it was Mode/Duotone (where I then changed Color 1 to some Pantone blue, and it then made a monotone like you see here.
You'll just have to play with what color you use.

btw, check out my uninvited house guest on the Mercedes wheel cover
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 04:27:08 PM »
This is best done as a duotone, using two blues, a light and a dark.  And no, the duotone function built into Photoshop won't pull it off.  I have duotone software that does this (shameless self promo LOL) although you can probably figure it out somehow.  If you'd like to send me the original high-res image, I'll be more than happy to do it.  It'll take all of a few minutes.  From there you can change the colors of the blue channels to specification. :)
Developer of UltraSeps and QuikSeps Color Separation Software. 
Oh yeah, I actually printed t-shirts too for over 30 years.
www.ultraseps.com   www.quikseps.com   www.customseps.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 05:21:22 PM »
in photoshop go to IMAGE>ADJUSTMENTS>HUE/SATURATION then when the window pops up click COLORIZE in the bottom right.  You can change the hue/saturation to whatever shade of blue you want.

Offline Full-SpectrumSeparator

• "Knowledge is possessed only by sharing."
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 05:59:06 PM »
There are many ways to do this in photoshop, here is one easy way showing in the attached image, some other methods would be to use the gradient-map adjustment, or go to multichannel from greyscale or just duplicate a neutral greyscale rgb red, green, or blue channel and change to a spot-color and set to the color you want... set a substrate channel and set the color to have it going over a shirt color you could change.    Do you have the image you are working with and want to see some options, using built-in aspects of photoshop? 
"Science and invention benefited most of all from the printing press."   https://www.youtube.com/user/FullSpectrumVideo  ||  https://sellfy.com/planetaryprints

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »
There are many ways to do this in photoshop, here is one easy way showing in the attached image, some other methods would be to use the gradient-map adjustment, or go to multichannel from greyscale or just duplicate a neutral greyscale rgb red, green, or blue channel and change to a spot-color and set to the color you want... set a substrate channel and set the color to have it going over a shirt color you could change.    Do you have the image you are working with and want to see some options, using built-in aspects of photoshop?

That's how I would do it... Screen.