Author Topic: Screen Opener - Locking Mesh?  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Get Shirts

Screen Opener - Locking Mesh?
« on: October 30, 2016, 05:43:03 PM »
I swear that I have read in the past that Screen Opener can lock the mesh if overused... did I make that up?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Screen Opener - Locking Mesh?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 05:46:37 PM »
Screen opener is a nasty solvent.

If you have an emulsion that is not solvent resistant - it can make it much more difficult to reclaim in those areas.

If your emulsion is under exposed - it can lock it up.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 08:12:06 PM »
If by locking the mesh you mean that the emulsion won't reclaim, underexposed emulsion is really succeptible to react with all petrochemical solvents making it tougher to reclaim. Years ago, in fact, a wipe of xylene was even used sometimes to make them tougher for long runs.

Some emulsions, like the early photopolymers I used when this nasty screen opener stuff was still in common use in shops I worked, will soften when the  sprays are used, and can clog open areas, especially fine details.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:48:47 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 06:15:45 AM »
If you put emulsion remover on a screen and let it dry its almost impossible to remove.
Gets hard like a rock.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 08:28:38 AM »
We've had the opposite around here, it killed the emulsion.  We've got a couple screens where we are constantly flipping colors and the emulsion just dissolved over the course of a couple weeks.

And as I type this out I am wondering why we didn't cut an extra set of screens.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 08:47:40 AM »
We've had the opposite around here, it killed the emulsion.  We've got a couple screens where we are constantly flipping colors and the emulsion just dissolved over the course of a couple weeks.

And as I type this out I am wondering why we didn't cut an extra set of screens.

This is with the spray screen openers? Or press washes?

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 09:29:12 AM »
spray screen opener.  We probably switched colors about 10-15 times.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 09:46:34 AM »
Brad, you gotta look at some other chemistry. That stuff is bad enough when used for its original use, but total color changes I could not imagine.
And, as I said, i have seen it soften and dissolve photopolymer emulsions, (and it doesn't seem much better with lungs, throats, and brains)

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 10:07:25 AM »
Oh, I have plastiwash back there, but when it's 3 extra steps because it was put in the wrong place and somebody doesn't want to walk over and grab it, it's frustrating.

I actually prefer to do my color changes in the washout booth with ink degrader off press.  It's much easier and to me it's faster with less risk of contamination.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 10:10:34 AM »
Anyone ever read the warnings on the spray tack cans? I always hated the stuff, but after seeing the words "may defat the skin," I soon thereafter tried waterbased tack for the first time. I'm sure the respiratory problems are worse, but that struck me as too weird. I can't imagine screen opener is any better.
Nice guys laugh last.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 10:23:57 AM »
we avoid spray cans, but they are a necessary evil.  I will say we've been using real deal TexTac and it's better than any knockoff ever.  We can run 2-3 rounds of sweats with it before we get shrinkage. 

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 11:09:57 AM »
I only used screen openers back in the 70's, after a while, I learned to mix the ink so it wouldn't freeze up, (keep it moving, no stopping to ponder life) and clean the screen if I did have to stop, or leaving a heavy flood coat over it for a couple of minutes. I have never used it for plastisol...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 11:13:14 AM »
Pretty much the same as me.
I was more than a little surprised to discover, on forums, that some folks thought it was a good way to actually clean screens!

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 06:08:08 AM »
Thanks everyone for your responses!