Author Topic: Convince me to (or not to) buy a better pressure washer  (Read 9588 times)

Offline DCSP John

Re: Convince me to (or not to) buy a better pressure washer
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2016, 10:42:17 AM »
spend as much as you can afford, spend it once, and never look back.
Penny pinching on a washer makes no sense. Been there, done that.

John

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2016, 10:48:41 AM »
Just replaced a part on my pressure washer. It's a good industrial unit that we paid about a grand for. about 7 years old now. I can take care of most repairs myself, and is puts out a solid 2000 PSI (new gauge was just put on also) I like knowing I have the power I need.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2016, 12:10:13 PM »
Can someone who has spent a bunch on a pressure washer post a video of them reclaiming with it?  Bonus points if you are using a diazo emulsion and it is actually taking off 6-8" wide strips in a single pass.  My greenworks does about a 2-3" strip and needs the occasional second pass depending on eom.  Would love to be able to really power through it in one and much wider, but having watched a bunch of vids online of reclaim it doesnt seem like many are actually able to do that...

Offline Screen Dan

• !!!
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2016, 12:13:20 PM »
We replaced our pitiful little 1000psi 1.4GPM Mi-T-M we use for developing with a Annovi Reverberi AR630 "Blue Clean" 1500psi 2.1GPM unit.  Man that thing kicks. 

Sometimes when we have a giant pile of screens we double-team the de-stencil duty.  I never would have put myself through that torment with the last one...but it isn't even a struggle.  I'm moving just as fast as the guy with the 3000psi 2.5GPM 3-phase Hydro Engineering HydroBlaster...which is an absolute monster.

However the AR630 didn't take 2 months for assembly and delivery, I got it the next day with free shipping for a little over $600.  If that HydroBlaster ever dies (which I highly doubt) I'm just getting another AR630 and calling it a day.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2016, 12:34:40 PM »
post a video!!!!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »
Can someone who has spent a bunch on a pressure washer post a video of them reclaiming with it?  Bonus points if you are using a diazo emulsion and it is actually

good chemicals and soft emusion and you should easily get that 6-8 pass. You may find getting a better trigger, wand and tip angle can help. It seems the most popular are the 15 and 25 degree quick change nozzles.. you can actually get just about any angle you want from mcmaster and then opt for the screw in vs the quick change. 20 degree will get you your 6-8 pass.

or.. you can make a double tipped head if you're crafty.. then you can make a 10-12 wide pass each time.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Screen Dan

• !!!
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2016, 12:44:42 PM »
I don't have the time today, I'm stuck in my office doing buyer stuff all day.  I'll probably be able to do that tomorrow though.  There's no de-stenciling going on at the moment since our drying room is absolutely maxed out.  The presses are on huge runs right now so I told my reclaim guys to work in big batches to clear the dirty screen rack off by the end of the day.

I'd say it's more like 4-5" strips at a time with the HydroBlaster...we scrub on ER-2, so depending on how long and how hard you scrub I could probably pull off 6-8" in one pass.  The AR630 works in 3" strips or so...but once you get going with the pressure washers taking the entire coat off doesn't usually take more than 20 or 30 seconds if you've scrubbed enough....not counting the pooled edges of emulsion on the side, especially on base plates.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 12:48:53 PM by Screen Dan »

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2016, 12:47:32 PM »
you can adjust your tips on the hydro and with 3k pressure.. you can use two even three tips on a wand and get really wide passes.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Screen Dan

• !!!
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2016, 12:50:49 PM »
you can adjust your tips on the hydro and with 3k pressure.. you can use two even three tips on a wand and get really wide passes.

Yeah, the gun this thing comes with is completely absurd...and boy does it have kick.  That thing could definitely take skin off if you weren't careful...the polypropylene washout boot has plenty of scars from slow days when I tell them to clean the emulsion bits off the back with the pressure washer.

It actually has two tips.  I always thought that one of them was for soap or chemical, but it sure looks like it's coming out of both at once...especially when you use the adjuster on the gun.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2016, 12:57:32 PM »
Can someone who has spent a bunch on a pressure washer post a video of them reclaiming with it?  Bonus points if you are using a diazo emulsion and it is actually

good chemicals and soft emusion and you should easily get that 6-8 pass. You may find getting a better trigger, wand and tip angle can help. It seems the most popular are the 15 and 25 degree quick change nozzles.. you can actually get just about any angle you want from mcmaster and then opt for the screw in vs the quick change. 20 degree will get you your 6-8 pass.

or.. you can make a double tipped head if you're crafty.. then you can make a 10-12 wide pass each time.

On the greenworks I "upgraded" the end and have tested a bunch of angles, and no matter what it is not going to strip wider than 3" at a time in a single pass.  It just doesnt output enough pressure or volume.  Even in Kitson's reclaim vids they are doing little tiny strips and I know he has a nicer pressure washer.  I have seen a video of people doing 6-8" wide from a foot or two back with no issues, but can't find it at the moment and I have no clue on their setup.  Would love to be able to do that, but I can't see the value in spending 5x-10x as much to get the same reclaim speed (2-3" passes) that I currently have with my $100 unit...

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2016, 01:10:26 PM »
As Judge Judy puts it- the cheap comes out expensive.

As many times as I have heard the wimpy unit is replaced over and over and over.
The time spent going to get another along with downtime, ugg. Our Northstar ($700) is well over
12 years old humming along. Find the funds, save for the funds, or spend time waddling back to the store.

Swaths of intense spray 4-5" are standard and enough for the largest of shops going gangbusters.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2016, 01:16:06 PM »
My experience is probably not the norm, but I have had 3 total pressure washers in about 6 years, all $100 greenworks, and 2 are still humming along fine. 

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2016, 01:32:31 PM »
I've also found the cheaper units to be WAY over rated.  Either they are not putting out what they say they are or the nicer ones are putting out more than they say.

You clean faster with more pressure and water.  So it's also a time saver in that end.

For a hobbyist, the cheapies are fine, when you're paying a person to reclaim, it doesn't make sense.

Offline Screen Dan

• !!!
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2016, 02:03:54 PM »
I was banned from Home Depot and Lowes.  Not even kidding.  Cheaping it out didn't work for long at all.  usually three days, max.  Return it?  Yeah, after the 10th one they start to get salty.

These are industrial purposes, you need industrial units.