Author Topic: Wilflex PC mixing ink Newb  (Read 6668 times)

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
Re: Wilflex PC mixing ink Newb
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 03:35:28 PM »
PANTONE® approved EPIC Rio boasts an extended color range of 18 finished ink mixing components. Together, these provide a perfect balance of color accuracy, vibrancy and opacity for peak press performance and color design.

•Colorful – vibrant colors that pop
•Accurate – best in class Pantone matches
•Opaque – get to color on press faster and achieve greater flexibility in mesh sizes, print strokes and direct printing
•Creamy Inks – manual or automatic press, press ready, no need to slow down print stroke
•Simple – finished ink mixing system, easy mixing, easy matching, easy printing
•Consistent – short run, long run, color to color and batch to batch consistent

Click Here
Dale Hoyal

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 05:59:13 PM »
From my testing RIO chemistry is different then MX chemistry....... My first test was taking the finished ink and rubbing it between my fingers, quite surprised that rio and mx feels entirely different(think tacky honey vs non tack cold cream)........ I will be doing a lot of testing with rio in the next week to determine if its something we want to move to. The few jobs that I have used rio with I was quite impressed but still way to early to give a solid opinion on it. I'm trying to get some lab equipment in here that I can break some of this stuff down to find the real differences but initially my thoughts are its no doubt different chemistry then mx.

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline matisx

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 01:17:23 PM »
From my testing RIO chemistry is different then MX chemistry....... My first test was taking the finished ink and rubbing it between my fingers, quite surprised that rio and mx feels entirely different(think tacky honey vs non tack cold cream)........ I will be doing a lot of testing with rio in the next week to determine if its something we want to move to. The few jobs that I have used rio with I was quite impressed but still way to early to give a solid opinion on it. I'm trying to get some lab equipment in here that I can break some of this stuff down to find the real differences but initially my thoughts are its no doubt different chemistry then mx.

This is an ansver from Technical Services Manager;
These inks are chemically compatible.  We do not have any formulas crossing the two systems, but you can certainly intermix the components.

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 07:50:46 AM »
So after 15 years of using stock inks I'm taking the plunge with the Epic PC Equalizer system (didn't realize how inexpensive it was). We're trying to expand our customer base and I'm realizing that I can't rely on a couple dozen colors to get us by. My question to you folks that have been mixing for years now, do you still buy any premixed inks such as blacks, reds, whatever or do you just mix everything? Thanks you.
Tees and Coffee

Offline Admiral

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 10:18:57 AM »
So after 15 years of using stock inks I'm taking the plunge with the Epic PC Equalizer system (didn't realize how inexpensive it was). We're trying to expand our customer base and I'm realizing that I can't rely on a couple dozen colors to get us by. My question to you folks that have been mixing for years now, do you still buy any premixed inks such as blacks, reds, whatever or do you just mix everything? Thanks you.

We use the equalizer system but not for our stock inks, there wouldn't be much of a cost savings there, so we just use it for quarts of tons of colors that we have in a spreadsheet that we use as needed.  I figure our stock inks are just a bit more formulated for performance than using all of a mixing system.  There are a couple stock inks that don't print perfectly wet on wet though - so perhaps we should replace those ones.

Let me know if you have questions about the equalizer system though.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 10:50:13 AM »
Rio is ready for use supposedly high opacity system.  Got my kit but have not used it yet.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 06:23:06 PM »
Rio is ready for use supposedly high opacity system.  Got my kit but have not used it yet.

We are switching all pms colors exclusively to rio next week........ It's really good chemistry from all the testing we have done.... Once we start running it 100% full time for a couple weeks I'll report back

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 09:40:58 PM »
I'd be curious to see how it prints wet on wet, especially after a flash on white UB,
and... with only the suggested 1% viscosity buster. Love Wilflex.

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 03:08:29 PM »
Just got our equalizer system in and the scale I got with it does not go to .01 grams, only .1 Will I be ok rounding up or should I return it?
Tees and Coffee

Offline Rob Coleman

Wilflex PC mixing ink Newb
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 10:34:15 PM »
Just got our equalizer system in and the scale I got with it does not go to .01 grams, only .1 Will I be ok rounding up or should I return it?

Farm boy:  you should be okay with 0.1 accuracy as long as you are not trying to weigh very small amounts. Think this:  if you are trying to weigh 0.5 grams, anything from 0.45 to 0.54 will register 0.5. That is a 20% swing from low to high. No way to be repeatable.

Now imagine weighing 0.1 gram - .05 to 0.14 will register as 0.1.  That is almost a 200% swing.

Scale pricing is driven by capacity and accuracy. I would look at a 3500-7500 gram scale x 0.1 accuracy for production. For color matching, you can get reasonably priced 300 or 500 x 0.01 gram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com