Author Topic: Same old question - Which seps program?  (Read 5796 times)

Offline jvieira

Same old question - Which seps program?
« on: October 27, 2016, 07:29:50 AM »
Hey guys,
I know this has been asked a ton of times but we're looking into purchasing a seps program. We already use AccuRIP as our RIP software but are having trouble with some "little bit harder" seps, that we've been sending to Dan (great job he's been doing!!). We would, however, like to do more of it in house and, more importantly, speed up our currently separations. We are growing and trying not to hire but to invest in stuff that makes us work faster (and easier).

We mainly do spot color stuff, up to 4 colors. I know most of these programs specialize in process/cmyk jobs but we don't (and won't) do that kind of thing.
Another thing we're moving to is discharge printing (which apparently involves totally different seps for underbase).

No need for the most advanced software out there, we're looking into something easy to work with.
I know T-Seps will automatically makes us mock ups which is a plus for us.

Thanks in advance

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Same old question - Which seps program?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 07:35:21 AM »
Ultra seps hands down.  Even I can sep with it. 8)
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 07:51:49 AM »
Then it must be easy to use
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 07:52:19 AM »
what design program are you using? I would recommend Mitch Different's book on manual seps in photoshop. You said you won't do process or sim, but you may realize how simple it really can be. I sep as I design in corel and live by monochrome bitmaps.

If you use photoshop, there is a link to a free plug-in created by a now banned member...d'hell was his name? the guy that spewed off about led lights or some damn thing....he talked a lot to make himself appear smart...see if I can find it.

this dude.
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php?topic=11849.0
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 08:46:24 AM »
Then it must be easy to use
[/quote
]Ha!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 08:59:11 AM »
As a guy who learned to sep the old fashioned way, Ultra-Seps saves me a lot of time, lots of good stuff in there. Knowing what to do with the channels generated is something else again. I also second Mitch Different's book, though I had already been doing for a long time when I got it, it was still really good to see another person's take on the process...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 09:46:48 AM »
I learned 'the old way' from hours and hours of youtube tutorials and just doing it. It's a good way to know what's going on so when a sep program spits out the channels, you have a better understanding of what's going on and how to make adjustments.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 11:16:02 AM »
Another vote for Ultra seps, I might have to get Mitch's book,  you can also pick Steve's brain aka Sbrem dude knows more than he is telling ya, he's help me plenty of times
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Jay Kay

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 05:49:18 PM »
I would throw another vote for Ultraseps and Mitch's Book. I've tried Quickseps, Ultraseps, T-seps, Separation Studio. IMO, Ultraseps comes out on top. But I rather enjoy doing seps manually now, unless I'm crunched for time.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 10:23:41 PM »
Ultra seps hands down.  Even I can sep with it. 8)

This ^^^^
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline rogerholien

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 11:30:25 PM »
Simple Seps 3 hands down. Great program, very reasonably priced and just works. Its a Corel Draw plug in. For $ 149.00 it's a steal! http://www.advancedtshirts.com/products/simpleseps-3.html

You can get version 4 with RIP program for $ 249.00 Tom Knight at Advanced T shirts does great software at a great price and he is a great guy!

http://www.advancedtshirts.com/products/simpleseps-smartrip4.html

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 11:35:17 PM »
Looks like you always have to change programs and output from a vector program?
Seems labor intensive and confusing. Can't you output from Ps5 and later in other sep programs,
or are they all like this due to Photoshop now a days?

Maybe some others can weight in and show advantages of ones they like...

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 11:53:36 PM »
I know most of these programs specialize in process/cmyk jobs but we don't (and won't) do that kind of thing.

Ultraseps does not specialize in process/cmyk.  Channels are printed out for selected RGB colors.  There is an option for CMYK seps, but only if you select it.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Online Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 12:39:21 AM »
If you really need something for 4 color process then you can get Ben`s Easy 4 C scripts
http://risingsungraphics.com/easy-4c/

Offline XG Print

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 09:55:06 AM »
Simple Seps 3 hands down. Great program, very reasonably priced and just works. Its a Corel Draw plug in. For $ 149.00 it's a steal! http://www.advancedtshirts.com/products/simpleseps-3.html

You can get version 4 with RIP program for $ 249.00 Tom Knight at Advanced T shirts does great software at a great price and he is a great guy!

http://www.advancedtshirts.com/products/simpleseps-smartrip4.html

I've been using Tom's stuff for years.  We are a Corel shop which I know is unusual but it just works for us.  Separating 6 and 8 color jobs and being ready to print in seconds is just awesome.  I need to learn AI or PS just in case one day but for now we are good with the advanced t shirts stuff.