Author Topic: Same old question - Which seps program?  (Read 5802 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Same old question - Which seps program?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 12:01:27 PM »
Question:
If a customer sends in a .jpg file, even high res, you can use Corel and Simple Seps without messing with the trace option?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline starchild

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 12:42:52 PM »
FullSpectrum Separator toolkit-  aka SimpleSeps.. I've used them all and this is what my decision came down to..

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 01:13:10 PM »
Question:
If a customer sends in a .jpg file, even high res, you can use Corel and Simple Seps without messing with the trace option?
Yes if you have simple seps raster version

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 02:07:46 PM »
Question:

I just use corel, no need for SSR or photoshop.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 02:57:40 PM »
I know most of these programs specialize in process/cmyk jobs but we don't (and won't) do that kind of thing.

Ultraseps does not specialize in process/cmyk.  Channels are printed out for selected RGB colors.  There is an option for CMYK seps, but only if you select it.

and they work very well too...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2016, 03:12:42 PM »
What we could use much more than an auto sep program is a better way to view channel separations.  I find the way spot channels view in PS extremely limiting to say the least- low % areas that you can't see on screen but will image, solidity not showing true opacity especially with black and dark colors, lack of blend modes to simulate overprinting and blending, etc.   

That and a way to get a quick and accurate halftone preview, we currently have to take our tiff rips and convert them over to grey scale channels and stack them up in rgb as alpha channels, reassign colors and mess with opacity in order to get a preview that is vaguely accurate on critical jobs. 

Reading coverage levels is handled with an astute plug in and in acrobat but it's still clunky although the inkquest temperature style map is the jam.

Is there anything out there that allows a more accurate view/preview?  I thought I had heard of something called iris perhaps, that netseps utilizes?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 05:39:55 PM »
ICIS

Previews are about the same.

It gives you access to the HSB spectrum ( if i remember right)  and allows you to set color points.  Essentially it becomes a multi-color CMYK sep.  Where CMYK is whatever 6-12 colors you choose.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2016, 05:56:55 PM »
Gotcha.  I like the HSB access, kind of long winded and clunky in PS from the dabbling I've done.  I like being able to set color points and sep from there.  Guessing it costs a miniature fortune.

Offline TheGhost

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 09:36:13 AM »
What is ICIS? Link to the product?

Offline BorisB

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 09:48:19 AM »