Author Topic: Wilflex white Lava  (Read 13806 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Wilflex white Lava
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 03:14:34 PM »
That was a big issue we had with most too that pin tip sized pot holes, and with Leg we stopped having that. That is one thing the new Rutland Peak has is a very very smooth finish for underbasing, I just didn't think it compared to the Legacy. I think my rep Ginny from Ryo is coming tomorrow, I'll ask her to send us a sample of the Lava to give it an honest try, who knows, we may find it better.

I'll be interested to hear how you find it works for you being that we are both Legacy users. I will say the Lava has near perfect characteristics, much better than the Legacy. I just don't find it opaque enough for a P-F-P. That said, Danny switched to using Lava and he puts out some pretty amazing work.

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 03:48:02 PM »
Swapped over from Legacy to the new Lava stuff and love it. The opacity is a little bit lower, but i'd gladly trade that for the other areas it excels in.

Offline ryanmoor

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 04:33:40 PM »
I ordered in a gallon to sample it. Printing on a Roq automatic with 150/48 S mesh

It feel it has the best properties/characteristics of and white I have used. Floods nicely, clears the screen easily (one stroke at a print speed of 10), doesn't climb the squeegee, and priced right.

But I'm not happy with the opacity. I tried a 65/90/65, 70/90/70, and 80 duro. Squeegee Angles of 5, 7, and 10. Speed down to 7. Double stroking. But seem to get the same result regardless. As of now I am only seeing this as a good underbase white. I'm finding I need to do a P-F-P-F-P to get what I consider a good white.

I'm currently using IC Legacy white. 70/90/70, one stroke, speed of 10 and get a real nice white P-F-P. But the Wilflex has much better properties (the IC does climb and needs a little more carding). For those of you using the Wilfelx Lava and are getting good results, any advice on what to do differently? I would really love to be able to make this our new white.
From what we know it's not another Wilflex ink, I did a split fountain with Brett and Printed Threads with Quick White and it's about 95% opaque but we were running he squeegee around 5 speed. Danny says he compensates by running the squeegee almost full speed if not at 10 to get the fluid momentum of the LAVA really going. SingleInk Also is getting very good results with one pass. I am asking Danny on his angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ryanmoor

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 04:34:18 PM »
Just heard from Danny he runs a little lower angle at 12-15 with a fast speed

Offline ryanmoor

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 04:35:10 PM »
I ordered in a gallon to sample it. Printing on a Roq automatic with 150/48 S mesh

It feel it has the best properties/characteristics of and white I have used. Floods nicely, clears the screen easily (one stroke at a print speed of 10), doesn't climb the squeegee, and priced right.

But I'm not happy with the opacity. I tried a 65/90/65, 70/90/70, and 80 duro. Squeegee Angles of 5, 7, and 10. Speed down to 7. Double stroking. But seem to get the same result regardless. As of now I am only seeing this as a good underbase white. I'm finding I need to do a P-F-P-F-P to get what I consider a good white.

I'm currently using IC Legacy white. 70/90/70, one stroke, speed of 10 and get a real nice white P-F-P. But the Wilflex has much better properties (the IC does climb and needs a little more carding). For those of you using the Wilfelx Lava and are getting good results, any advice on what to do differently? I would really love to be able to make this our new white.
From what we know it's not another Wilflex ink, I did a split fountain with Brett and Printed Threads with Quick White and it's about 95% opaque but we were running he squeegee around 5 speed. Danny says he compensates by running the squeegee almost full speed if not at 10 to get the fluid momentum of the LAVA really going. SingleInk Also is getting very good results with one pass. I am asking Danny on his angles.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 04:46:28 PM »

Thanks Ryan!

I'm going to try that. I think my parameters are pretty close to Danny's (or at least from some of his posts I read) Roq press, 150S mesh, OC, speed, etc.

I'm going to try the lower angle and see if that makes a difference for me and will report back here.

Ideally I run everything at 10 with a single stroke, but I'll also try a print speed of 5, it is slower than I'd rather print but in reality probably won't make much of a difference. Any idea what squeegee duro and angle Brett is using?

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 05:13:10 PM »

What's up Ryan! Do we know what duro squeegees Danny runs this with to get that opacity? Ginny and Mark are supposed to pop by some time tomorrow, maaaaybe they will have a sample for us to try.  ;D
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 07:53:27 PM »

Iv'e been trying different whites and still can't find one to beat legacy in opacity, underbasing with a 225 s mesh, holding 8 colors on top with no lift off, unless one is a very large white open spot, but even that it holds very nice, fiber matt down, flashing, and over all feel. Not to mention, having used it for a while now, old shirts in personal use, seeing how it holds up very very nice over a few years time--- also important. I'd give the lava a test but I've been warned to not expect the same opacity, which rules it out right away, but I'd still have to try for myself in our system to see. It's hard to beat legacy.
Did you try the Epic Bright Tiger White? Apparently that ink is very opaque and very  bright white. Wondering how it holds up compared to the Quick White.

Offline ryanmoor

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 08:07:35 PM »

Thanks Ryan!

I'm going to try that. I think my parameters are pretty close to Danny's (or at least from some of his posts I read) Roq press, 150S mesh, OC, speed, etc.

I'm going to try the lower angle and see if that makes a difference for me and will report back here.

Ideally I run everything at 10 with a single stroke, but I'll also try a print speed of 5, it is slower than I'd rather print but in reality probably won't make much of a difference. Any idea what squeegee duro and angle Brett is using?
He also said, The lava needs a lot less squeegee pressure and a harder flood fill to work properly. 30-35 psi at Brett's we used a triple and about a 7 angle . The way Danny runs completely makes sense to me getting the ink flowing faster and the fluid momentum transferring through the screen mesh quicker allows for more opacity at higher speeds

Offline ryanmoor

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 08:08:09 PM »

What's up Ryan! Do we know what duro squeegees Danny runs this with to get that opacity? Ginny and Mark are supposed to pop by some time tomorrow, maaaaybe they will have a sample for us to try.  ;D
What up Mostly 70 but some triple

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 12:58:22 PM »
Quick insta I took as I walking through the shop this morning..... Single stroke max speed, super opaque print. Probably too much squeegee pressure according to some but the print looks perfect and it will run 1000 pcs an hr all day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM4UEd6AokZ/?taken-by=denverprinthouse
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 01:01:30 PM »
Quick insta I took as I walking through the shop this morning..... Single stroke max speed, super opaque print. Probably too much squeegee pressure according to some but the print looks perfect and it will run 1000 pcs an hr all day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM4UEd6AokZ/?taken-by=denverprinthouse

Super hard flood on that, which I like.   No issues with damage to mesh? 

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 01:23:03 PM »
Also with hard flood like that we have found screen touches shirt and ghosting slightly on second flood...
Tension on Newmans 25-30 here and still happens with 1/8th off contact sometimes.
Not any of this on the second flood with your s-mesh?

Offline Admiral

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
Also with hard flood like that we have found screen touches shirt and ghosting slightly on second flood...
Tension on Newmans 25-30 here and still happens with 1/8th off contact sometimes.

He's doing 1 pass per shirt.

If you are in fact doing 2 then you would have to do it so the table is down on the flood or on a press where the screen raises back up for sequential strokes.

If it's still an issue after that then perhaps you don't have much of a gasket on the garment side of the screen with the emulsion.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 01:43:18 PM »

I have seen that with the presses that have stationary heads as well - like ours.  Not all the time, but enough that I watch ink rheology and flood pressure to avoid it.

Getting in some today and I am looking forward to trying it out!

Fyi - pleeeeenty of gasket with our screens.  Its a screen deflection issue due to the flood stroke.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.