Author Topic: Topic: How to handle $$ owed to you  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Topic: How to handle $$ owed to you
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 03:32:31 PM »
I just had a major overhaul on my compressors, holding tank, dryers etc from a great ole Southern boy who has a million stories (yes more than me!) He has one where a company owed him money and delivered nothing but promises. He showed up one day and while he was "waiting to get paid" he explained he needed to do some preventive maintenance on the compressor. I'm sure they were all giggling up front about how gullible he was as he was out back installing a remote kill switch.
Next morning they were dead in the water. So he followed them to the bank, got his bag of cash, and "fixed the problem".
I like this guy.

Ha!  yes, thats a good one.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 04:31:54 PM »
Did you tell them in the beginning that this might happen? He was still a little harsh but if it was not discussed up front that it would take you a bit it might be a problem.
When I got the bill, I emailed that day to explain that it might take me a week or into the next week. I let them know, because I'm sued to paying right  then or withing that same week. Not even 15 days, 30 days or 90 days. Thats when I got the billing department that informed me of setting me up on weekly payment arrangements. That wasn't bad at all.  That was even better for me since i was going to pay it within a week or two at the most. It's when they threaten me with legal steps IF I don't pay it on MONDAY.

The guy just wanted to be an A-hole. Sometimes it happens... ;D
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 06:06:55 PM »
I did some artwork for the cover of a half-assed financial magazine back around 1991. The blowhard that owned the company raved about how good it looked. I tendered the bill to the editor and left.

When the check didn't come through, I paid them a visit. All these high-rollers in suits standing around getting ready for a junket to South America yakking it up, and I'm told to come in the next day to pick up the check.

So the next day I go in, and figure if they blow me off again, I'm gonna walk over to the receptionist's desk, lift the computer off it, and head out the door with it. Fuk 'em. I go into the bookkeepers office for my check, and he cries poor. I tell him, "You mean to tell me in this whole organization you can't cough up a check for $350???  He pauses for a moment, pulls out a checkbook, fills it out for the correct amount, hands it to me and says, "Go straight to the bank and cash it. Do not deposit it. This account will be closed in the morning." I haul ass to the nearest branch and cash that mutha. He probably caught hell for it, but at least there was one honest guy there.

The kicker is this: in the credits for the cover, absolutely NO mention of who did the art (me). The blowhard who owned the rag wrote that the cover was "inspired by a poster his snot-nosed son had drawn in junior high school" which was bullsh!t, then mentioned that his son was now an attorney. What an a-hole.

They were out of business shortly thereafter.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 08:09:29 PM »

The original issue of this thread has been handled and I've asked for it to be removed.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 08:46:07 PM »
On John's request the original post was deleted. The rest was left as a new thread. This is to explain any reference to John's original post which is not visible any more . . .

pierre
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:48:43 PM by blue moon »
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!