Author Topic: Water-based/discharge printers  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Water-based/discharge printers
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 09:32:12 PM »
Aren't you on the East coast? They don't run gas everywhere? As long as the building owner is cool with it and they would place it, you could put the tank behind the building/wherever and pipe it up to your spot...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I'm going to talk to the landlord. I believe their is a gas line into our building, but I think it's on the other side of the building (it's a large mill building). I am thinking it's going to be a pretty big job to get that into my space. Hopefully I'm wrong and I find out there is a gas line somewhere closer to me than I can tap into. I'm also not certain how long I'm going to stay here. We are getting to the point where we need more space. We can make do, but I also have goals of more growth.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 10:08:06 PM »
With the cost of the flexible pipe these days, you may find it is not so bad. If the landlord raises a fuss if there is only 1 meter you should be able to get a sub meter easy.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 10:43:08 PM »
Maff, we run the dryer at 350 deg F typically with that retention time.  Can go as low as 320 if needed to mix plastisol and wb jobs. 

Airflow and recovery are a factor.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Hemi

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 01:26:58 PM »
Both work well, but the belt crawls along to make sure we get correct retention time!

This is my biggest concern, I want to make sure if we start offering it that we can realistically run production. We're a small shop so we don't need to be able to crank out 800 pieces an hour with it, but need to be able to put out a semi-realistic number.

Hey Shanarchy, similar situation for us. Smaller shop looking to upgrade to a larger electric dryer to be able to start offering more wb/dc printing. Any progress in finding something suitable? I'm looking at a minimum of 8' of heat, not sure if I have room for something larger so hopefully that will do the job. A couple hundred shirts an hour is all I really need to pull off.
Inked Up Graphics
Redding, California

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 01:32:28 PM »
Ill tell you what.  I was working in the Workhorse booth at ISS and saw the Powerhouse 2 in action.  That thing is a beast! a lot of airflow 6' chamber, and forced air.  It probably would do anything you are asking...

Offline Hemi

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »
Yeah I checked it out there, definitely an option, just a bit concerned about the overall tunnel length. Not sure it would leave too much room for further growth. But hey, it would look real nice alongside my Sabre!
Inked Up Graphics
Redding, California

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »
Hey Shane, we run 2 old Advance Tex-Air Machines with convection in the middle, gas. We used to have one with the convection that was electric, but the electric bill was insane, and the heaters burned out too frequently for our liking. Not to mention removing the old one and installing a new one. The Gas company will be the ones moving your lines most likely, so check with them first. Ours only have 12' of heat, so we send them down twice, no problems after that. Hope this helps...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 04:17:19 PM »
Hey Shane, we run 2 old Advance Tex-Air Machines with convection in the middle, gas. We used to have one with the convection that was electric, but the electric bill was insane, and the heaters burned out too frequently for our liking. Not to mention removing the old one and installing a new one. The Gas company will be the ones moving your lines most likely, so check with them first. Ours only have 12' of heat, so we send them down twice, no problems after that. Hope this helps...

Steve

This.  Big time.  It doesn't matter how you heat up the air in terms of curing, just as long as it's hot and moving/exchanging.  But it does matter when electricity costs so much more than gas. 

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 04:35:01 PM »
First statement not technically correct. Second is of course true and theres the labor of running them through twice

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 04:52:56 PM »
First statement not technically correct. Second is of course true and theres the labor of running them through twice

What's technically incorrect about "we run 2 old Advance Tex-Air machines"? Or do you mean Zoo's first line...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »
If you took a gas dryer and pulled the gas train out and put an electric plenum heater array in there with enough oomph to heat air as rapidly as the gas train did (what the texairs did on all electric models) what would the difference be?

There wouldn't be, technically.

Offline Steve Harpold

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 07:31:40 PM »
The Fire Fly fits the profiles listed above
45" chamber or 90" chamber
45" chamber has an equivalent capacity as a 8' to 12' gas dryer
90" chamber has and equivalent capacity to a 16' to 20' gas dryer
(Assuming dwell time in the gas dryer is 120s to 180s, or running them twice @ 60s or 90s)

Energy usage, for the above capacities:
6kw - 18kw pr/hr. In many cases it takes more energy to run the blowers and exhaust than the entire consumption of the Fire Fly. (If interested I can post a live energy consumption graph of full production energy consumption)

Offline SI

• !!!
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 08:44:47 PM »
We run a HIX 3616.  8' heat 36" wide belt with air knives. All electric. Can do about 350 an hour with it (discharge). Costs me $3 an hour to run the dryer 220v single phase.   It will be for sale in a couple months as we are going to a gas dryer for faster speeds. You might think 350 an hour is fine unti you get a large order then the slow pace will feel like torture

Offline Hemi

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 10:07:54 PM »
Good to know SI. I am actually considering that exact dryer but 3 phase. Have you been happy with it other than out growing it?
Inked Up Graphics
Redding, California