Author Topic: Suggestions for taking up space in a big tank?  (Read 3073 times)

Offline Prince Art

Suggestions for taking up space in a big tank?
« on: December 19, 2016, 05:25:31 PM »
Recently purchased a CCI dip tank for the profile - shorter & wider instead of thinner & taller. It also has a 6 screen capacity, vs ~3 for other tanks I looked at. Didn't think much more than, "Hey Bonus!" at the time. But now I can't envision being able to have 6 screens in the tanks at a time if dip time should be in the 1 minute range. (Maybe I'll figure out a quick rhythm I'm used to it, but can't yet see myself keeping 6 in a row going nonstop.) And so the extra capacity translates to paying for more chemical than I need.

So the question is: Any suggestions for filling up space on one side of the tank, so I don't have to waste extra chemical? And also so I don't have screens falling over too far in the tank. Obviously it's got to be something that won't degrade or affect the chemical. (On the money side, I'm planning on filling with Supra, not something cheap like Gemzyme.)

And maybe these are imaginary problems - feel free to tell me if so. I'm a newbie to tanks.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Suggestions for taking up space in a big tank?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 05:40:27 PM »
You can always just dilute the chemical more to slow the process a bit if necessary.

As for putting 6 screens in and having them soak longer, I use Supra full strength in my giant 6 screen tank and with SP1400 the screens could sit in it all day without the emulsion falling off and becoming sludge at the bottom so it doesnt really matter how long it takes with that emulsion.  For whatever reason it just sort of does its job and "stops" (not actually, but it doesn't end up melting or locking the emulsion in with excessive soak times, though I have no doubt if it became a habit you would shorten the overall life of the chemicals).  With 6 screens in my tank they are usually in it around 4 or 5 minutes tops before being sprayed out and are super soft and easy to reclaim.  That amount of cycle time/rhythm works great for me.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 06:22:25 PM »
Cinder blocks? Bricks? As long as they don't affect or are affected by the chemistry...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 07:00:01 PM »
you can make a PVC pipe rack that holds and separates the screens.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 08:16:14 PM »
How about three old screens that just stay in there?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 10:49:41 PM »
@mimosa: the 4-5 minute soak sounds do-able. Have you ever done photopolymer in yours? Something like Saati's Textil PV or PHU. If so, did you have similar results? I'm thinking the SP1400 probably has more resilience than those.

@Sbrem: I was thinking along those lines possibly. At a local salvage place, I saw some of those frosted glass "bricks" (for lack of a better term) used for bathroom windows. Just don't know how to contain them, keep them from falling over.

@jsheridan: Have you put pvc in reclaimer? Is it different enough from plastisol to be safe in there over the long haul? If so, I could def put together what I need that way.

@Frog: That's the backup plan, I'm just hoping to displace more liquid if possible.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 12:15:08 AM »
Can you get PVC 4" and 6" drain pipes?
I'd cut one to the right length, fill it with sand, stones or water so it won't float.
Seal the ends with cap sealed with silicone and stand it it the tank.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 06:23:44 AM »
how much more chemical are you looking at saving? You may spend more money messing around than just filling the tank the right way. I say this because I used to cut corners to save buck only to waste time and money.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline dsh

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 07:15:07 AM »
My tank holds 5 20x24 and 4 23x31 screens.  I use the cover of the tank as a drain.  The small shelf angles down and toward the drain hole in the corner of the cover.  I soak, drain, and then wash out 5 screens and the screens waiting are draining back into the dip tank.  The screens never set too long to cause a problem washing out.  The other smaller tank is a washout tank.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:09:31 AM by Frog »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 08:43:12 AM »
@mimosa: the 4-5 minute soak sounds do-able. Have you ever done photopolymer in yours? Something like Saati's Textil PV or PHU. If so, did you have similar results? I'm thinking the SP1400 probably has more resilience than those.

@Sbrem: I was thinking along those lines possibly. At a local salvage place, I saw some of those frosted glass "bricks" (for lack of a better term) used for bathroom windows. Just don't know how to contain them, keep them from falling over.

@jsheridan: Have you put pvc in reclaimer? Is it different enough from plastisol to be safe in there over the long haul? If so, I could def put together what I need that way.

@Frog: That's the backup plan, I'm just hoping to displace more liquid if possible.

If you used bricks or cinder blocks, gravity will keep them in place...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 09:20:28 AM »
I used to put spring clamps on each end and then put the lid on if I only had one or two to do (in development tank) but I imagine the same theory would work. It would force the screen down enough.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 09:49:07 AM »
I used hvp for a while, but I honestly don't remember how long they sat in the tank at that time. Was still figuring outhat you method. I do remember there being more sludge though, so I think some of the emulsion was coming off in the tank.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 10:56:12 AM »

perfectly safe in a dip tank. drill some holes here and there to allow the frame to fill up or it'll float or make the base pipes and fill them with sand before you glue it up.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 12:03:10 PM »
Thanks for all the input! I'm hoping to get this done this week or next. Goal is to reduce chemical need by about 1/3, so I'm leaning toward several wide PVC pipes, weighted at the bottom & sealed. (Unless spare time for projects runs out, in which case I may just fill completely and live with it. ::))

@dsh: thanks for the shot of your setup. I've been figuring out a drain stand, too, and hadn't considered using the lid as part of it. Don't know if I'll do that, but I appreciate the food for thought.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 09:03:46 AM »
if I was going to put PVC in the bottom I wouldn't seal it with silicone, i would use the blue lava pipe solvent.  That stuff is seriously good at gluing PVC together.  I had a couple joints in the house that just wouldn't go, and that stuff nailed it.