Author Topic: 8 color sim process with using black shirt color.  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
8 color sim process with using black shirt color.
« on: November 02, 2011, 06:33:26 PM »
This is an example of using the shirt color as the black of the art. I don't prefer to just use the shirt color for the black ink but some customers think it makes for a cheaper print if they take out the black ink. The print quality (mostly the detail) comes out far better to me. In addition, it adds more time to the sep process because you need to knock out the black in just the right way so that colors get darker and black are black. I can make it work nice, but I'm not fond of that technique as much. You have more image control by using black on black shirts.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:36:41 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: 8 color sim process with using black shirt color.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 06:49:42 PM »
Dan I agree with you. I like to print black on black shirts. I have even printed white on white shirts to give a design a little more depth. It also makes really fine detail possible. The only time I using the black shirt for a color is on designs that have alot of negative black space. No one want a shirt covered in ink.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 11:39:14 PM »
I have been printing black ink on black and white ink on white tees for years now even though most say no, you can see the black ink on a black shirt just as well as white on a white shirt.  I agree with both you guys it can help make the print look better in cases anyway unless you just don't have the room for it or trying to save a screen.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:39:59 PM »
Dan the wood part Rocks!!!
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:00:19 AM »
Thanks Darryl,

I should also say, that had I been able to do it completely my way, I would have

A,  used a gray ink for the base instead of actually using gray ink.  It would have been softer. They wanted a Base white, (had to use white in the base) as that is what they were familiar with.

B, I'd of used black ink. They didn't want to use black as (it's a black shirt and could save a color). If they were real squirmish about saving colors, they could have taken that gray out also. They are the paying customer so, I do what they want. I can only make suggestions. All in all, I'm sure it came out pretty decent. They were good people to work with, but a little stuck on how they do things.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 11:03:39 AM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:35:57 PM »
That is funny to me.  Let me hire you, but I am going to dictate the details of the job.  Seriously, when my customers start telling me how to print, I block them out and jack up the price. 

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
I would have printed the black anyway, even if not getting paid for that color.  4clr process black would help make those areas pop and stay crisp without adding much more hand to the print.  Some designs work well without printing black yet many could use it.   Nice job though, Dan 
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 10:43:39 AM »
Nice! 

We did a print recently with ink colors/style similar to this:

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 10:48:22 AM »
nice print & design
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 11:02:37 AM »
hmmmm.  Galveston.  Galveston,  who do we know that has shop in Galveston? 

Nice job on that.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 11:24:13 AM »
hmmmm.  Galveston.  Galveston,  who do we know that has shop in Galveston? 

Nice job on that.

Someone that lost business to me... LOL.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 09:44:28 PM »
That is funny to me.  Let me hire you, but I am going to dictate the details of the job.  Seriously, when my customers start telling me how to print, I block them out and jack up the price.

The best is when I get a client who tells me how long something will take.

"Shouldn't take you more than an hour."

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs