Author Topic: Moving to a different location with a M&R Diamondback. Any tips?  (Read 2981 times)

Offline inkstain

Moving to a different location with a M&R Diamondback. Any tips?
« on: November 11, 2016, 12:18:16 PM »
Hi guys!
I'm moving to a different location.  I have a M&R Diamondback S.  I've never taken the press apart and am kinda scared.
I will be calling M&R for some direction but I figured I'd ask the pros who may have done it before.
Any tips would be helpful.  Thanks in advance!
Kyle

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Moving to a different location with a M&R Diamondback. Any tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 12:23:42 PM »
with some guidance, you should be able to take the press apart yourself (unless you have two left thumbs). You will also need help making sure it is properly supported (crated) for the move.
Once at the new location, hiring a tech is the only way to go.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »
You can essentially pick up a diamondback with a forklift and put the entire thing onto a flatbed truck and then pick it up and put it back on the floor of the new place.. that is as long as you have a wide enough door
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 01:54:51 PM »
you can take off any print arms needed to make it fit.  I think we took one or two off the gauntlet to get it out the door.

I would also do this on a smaller press, a larger press might torque the arms if you hit a pothole or something.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 04:03:24 PM »
You can essentially pick up a diamondback with a forklift and put the entire thing onto a flatbed truck and then pick it up and put it back on the floor of the new place.. that is as long as you have a wide enough door

This.  Did it with our old Gauntlet.  Drop it in the new spot, plumb and go.  If you didn't bang it around moving it you should be where you were prior.   

Offline inkstain

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 07:54:45 PM »
with some guidance, you should be able to take the press apart yourself (unless you have two left thumbs). You will also need help making sure it is properly supported (crated) for the move.

pierre
Thanks Pierre and congrats on your new presses coming!
Gonna try without a technician as I'm in Hawaii.  Costs an arm and a leg to get one over.

Offline inkstain

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 07:56:46 PM »

pierre
you can take off any print arms needed to make it fit.  I think we took one or two off the gauntlet to get it out the door.

I would also do this on a smaller press, a larger press might torque the arms if you hit a pothole or something.

Thanks guys for the info.  Probably gonna take off the printheads and arms.  Then put back together at the new location.  Wish me luck.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 11:02:59 AM »
The print heads go back on easy.. the arms need to be leveled and split.. i do not recommend taking them off if you don't have to.

I'm serious, just pick the entire thing up and put it on a truck... if you can't get a forklift, you can use a flatbed tow truck and with a pallet jack, pull it up the inclined ramp.

We did this with a 10 color years ago at 2 in the morning for a drive across town. Went smooth as can be and by 4am the press was plumbed and printing by 6am.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline inkstain

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 05:29:46 PM »
The print heads go back on easy.. the arms need to be leveled and split.. i do not recommend taking them off if you don't have to.

I'm serious, just pick the entire thing up and put it on a truck... if you can't get a forklift, you can use a flatbed tow truck and with a pallet jack, pull it up the inclined ramp.

We did this with a 10 color years ago at 2 in the morning for a drive across town. Went smooth as can be and by 4am the press was plumbed and printing by 6am.

Thank you, I wouldn't have know that I'd have to level and split the arms if you didn't mention it.
I will try to do it like you said. Appreciate it!

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 10:32:49 PM »
Actually, I have a DB, and you should (we did) be able to remove the print arms and replace them without re-registering the machine. The arms are removed separate from the part that the reg bearings are attached to. The arms end at the "ring", and the reg bearings are within the ring.

Actually, it looks like you could remove the print arms as well, since they are independent from the reg forks.

I think the machine was originally designed this way so they could be installed without a tech, making them more cost effective and attractive for first-time Auto-owners....but M&R changed policy on that not too long after release. Rich, is this correct?

When we moved a few years ago, I removed two print arms, so a forklift could get in close enough. It was only a few hundred yards down a quiet road, so we just drove the lift+press right over to the new building and set it down. reattached the two arms with no problems, and no need to re-reg.

Still, we had a tech in anyway installing the new dryer, so he gave it a quick once-over.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 07:39:21 AM »
Actually, I have a DB, and you should (we did) be able to remove the print arms and replace them without re-registering the machine. The arms are removed separate from the part that the reg bearings are attached to. The arms end at the "ring", and the reg bearings are within the ring.

Actually, it looks like you could remove the print arms as well, since they are independent from the reg forks.

I think the machine was originally designed this way so they could be installed without a tech, making them more cost effective and attractive for first-time Auto-owners....but M&R changed policy on that not too long after release. Rich, is this correct?

When we moved a few years ago, I removed two print arms, so a forklift could get in close enough. It was only a few hundred yards down a quiet road, so we just drove the lift+press right over to the new building and set it down. reattached the two arms with no problems, and no need to re-reg.

Still, we had a tech in anyway installing the new dryer, so he gave it a quick once-over.
That is correct. The machine was originally designed to be installed by end user.
Rich Hoffman

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 01:17:53 AM »
Bumping this thread to see if you got the press moved? How'd it go? Looking to move mine to a new location over next weekend

Offline inkstain

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 01:50:38 AM »
Bumping this thread to see if you got the press moved? How'd it go? Looking to move mine to a new location over next weekend

Move went good.  Was a bit scary and nerve wracking as my dryer, compressor and press went on one flat bad at one time.  The boys figured it out and did their stuff.  Was blown away.  To make things sketchy, the weather had been rainy for a while, no rain during the move, thankful!  Kept my 7/8 press together.  Only moved a couple miles away and everything went smoothly.  Hope your move goes good as well. 

Online Admiral

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 11:18:29 AM »

Interesting info.  We were lucky that our move was less than 100 yards (across the street) so we just used a pallet jack and moved our 7/8 Diamondback ourselves.

Too bad we didn't get a picture.