Author Topic: Dryer belt marks on thin or blended shirts  (Read 4698 times)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Dryer belt marks on thin or blended shirts
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 01:21:47 PM »
When the install for the 3k was going on, I remember a conversation about blower settings for additional drones, belts or something and pulley sizes.. is it possible yours is setup for additional drones?
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 02:57:46 PM »
Brett, you ever figure out what was up?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 11:37:46 AM »
Brett, you ever figure out what was up?

Not yet, but I do have an update.

Nothing looked weird under a loupe at both high and low magnifications, so nothing seems to be burning or anything like that. 

Yesterday I ran a standard performance shirt (Sport Tek ST350) through the dryer at 200 degrees for 30 seconds and we still got belt marks on the shirt. This is obviously a much lower temp than we'd need to get a cure, so its looking more like the airflow is the key and not the temp. Basically, my best guess at this point is if the shirt is thin enough (or the right material) to get pressed into the belt via the air knives, and the temperature is hot enough, the marks basically get pressed into the garment.  We are not seeing this effect on cotton shirts or more sturdy blends at all.

As I have no way to adjust the blower, I can't test that variant but if John's statement above is correct, then I'd imagine there is a chance it could be the issue. The transaction on the dryer happened very quickly (which I am extremely thankful for!), and if I remember correctly was pulled from another order which would have required a longer belt (they had to make the belt for mine). So if I wanted to get all CSI on this, and of course I'm just making assumptions, I'd imagine there would be a possibility that the dryer was set up initially for more drones and was shipped out with those settings due to the quick turnaround.

Guessing that Rich and the crew are gonna be busy for the rest of the week so if I don't hear from them here I'll just take this over to the M&R forum or to the service line as I have a big run of performance shirts on Monday and we've had to use our mini backup dryer for those until we figure out what's going on.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL