Author Topic: Films off register. Really.  (Read 4900 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Films off register. Really.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 10:24:49 AM »

Are you talking DPI or PPI?

Printer dots, DPI... and Dan, how come you can't increase the resolution that the printer is printing at? I think you should be able to with the Epson Printer Utility... or, if you're using say, AccuRIP, you can set the printer resolution using Setup under the File menu in AR... our 3800 is at 1440 x 720...

Steve

Printer ink resolution is (ink density) as in (how many times it goes over a given area) to build up density. If it were full color, think of it as saturation of the ink onto the print. Making it more vivid.  I confirmed with with Epson Tech support.

So, the 720 x720, the 1440x 720, and the 5760 X 1440 only pertain to ink laydown. Not image detail (I guess).  I assume even Epson loosely refers to the standard ink laydown options as (DPI) but then in other literature, and in my email they contradict that. Sooo.  They tell me that the SUPUR COLOR printer is what I want.  SO check this out.

Epson 1430 highest = 5760 X 1440 max. and theSureColor P800 I'm told, prints at a max of 2880 x 1440 dpi and IT, is supposed to be) a higher DPI printer than the Epson 1430.  ?

I'm also told that on a PC it doesnt show as (DPI) and in order to change to a higher resolution DPI, you need to change the PAPER TYPE.  On a Mac, it clearly says image resolution rather than "paper".

Since we weren't ready to go DTS, we just bought the T3270, for $2,295, we already had AR, so the upgrade to Black Pearl was only $149.00. Why the extra money for the T3270 instead of the P800? Speed, it's 10 X faster, and auto cuts the film.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
Re: Films off register. Really.
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »
been said before:
drop the 1400 series.
get the 4800 series.

the advantages are HUGE for a relatively tiny change -
roll media (huge time saver, larger print area, less waste)
can easily handle using the multiblack function to run ONE color as a GOOD black ink (Accuink) and cleaner in the others. large empty chipped tanks (my preference) or one of the cobra systems.
print quality MUCH better and MUCH more control (we run 720x720 (15/full strength ink deposit) for anything without halftones, 1440x2880 for anything with halftones - the 1440x2880 is FANTASTIC but uses more ink and is MUCH slower to print).

i stole this from pierre (excepting the RIP we use).
take the time to set up the gain curve.
if you really want to you can control the stretch gain as well - but we don't trust it and simply print everything off in the SAME direction to avoid the stretch issue/keep it in the same direction/amount.

it's really set it and forget it, good output, possibly even cheaper than any 1400 based system for the ink costs. way better print using ONE head rather than needing multiples to get the ink density where you need it leading to scattering.