Author Topic: Sublimation on plastic water bottles  (Read 918 times)

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
Sublimation on plastic water bottles
« on: February 25, 2017, 09:35:16 PM »
Has anyone tried a sublimation transfer to plastic water bottles? I'm thinking of high end bottles like Nalgene and using a mug wrap or similar.

They have the hard BPA free plastic and the softer white plastic versions, and I'm wondering if the transfer would work and also not somehow cause issues with the health aspects of the bottle.

Offline farmboygraphics

Re: Sublimation on plastic water bottles
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:39:28 AM »
You might waste quite a few bottles trying to get the time and temp correct to get a good transfer. Not to mention would they hold up to the heat?
Tees and Coffee

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 01:00:49 PM »
You'll need a polyester bottle, not polycarbonate or HDPE, and for clear bottles you'll need to be able to print and sublimate white won't you?
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 09:41:28 AM »
You'll need a polyester bottle, not polycarbonate or HDPE, and for clear bottles you'll need to be able to print and sublimate white won't you?

Not really thinking about colour reproduction at this stage, more looking at the info you gave on plastics that will/won't work. Not sure what plastic the Nalgene bottles use but will investigate. They're pretty tough but no idea how heat would mess with them.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 02:20:58 PM »
Mostly Polycarbonate for Nalgene.
Wishin' I was Fishin'