Author Topic: printed discharge on gildan 5000's and American Apparel  (Read 11479 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: printed discharge on gildan 5000's and American Apparel
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2011, 03:02:16 PM »
Just bumping this as Pierre added the pic after I posted. There are no dots visible even under a magnifying loupe.

Offline squeegee

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2011, 05:18:45 PM »
I had seen this before and thought it was really cool, I don't know when but at some point I want to try it.

What I wonder is done differently from seps perspective for this?

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2011, 05:25:52 PM »
My shop sample of the discharged shirt is starting to stink up the shop, smells like a dead mouse (thought it was).

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2011, 05:31:05 PM »
That means discharging was not complete. There should be very little if any smell post dryer.

Offline DanK

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2011, 11:36:36 AM »
It'll probably be a six color set plus white and black... but I'm not exactly sure on that part yet, need to get my feet wet and do some studyin up on color theory as well.

Discharge and water base ink in general is very forgiving for printing wet-on-wet to mix colors. Just try to keep white pigment out of the mix until the last screen. (it builds up on the screens really quick)

This was done with 4 colors on Gildan "sand" shirts. The gold and orange are discharge, (the make them "pop", the black and light blue are regular Matsui wb.

The gold and orange fade down and up respectively from 100% to 0% to simulate a split fountain. The blue, orange and gold mix at varying percentages to make secondary and tertiary colors. (light and dark greens, light blue, browns, tans, etc.)

Most of the extra colors are buried in the details... hard to see in the pic.

This was mostly separated in GIMP, then pulled into Corel Photo-Paint to do the fades/channels.

Beautiful OM print!  One of my old friends has a poster shop in Emeryville (actually they just moved to Alameda) called Monolith Press that does the posters, an old friend of mine did that art...  Do you know those guys Evo?!

http://monolithpress.net/

The specific OM poster post is back from Sept 2009 on that link above...
Dan Holzer

Offline DanK

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2011, 11:38:14 AM »
That means discharging was not complete. There should be very little if any smell post dryer.

Right on, if your final print is stinky, best to run them all through the dryer again, cook em til they don't stank.
Dan Holzer

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2011, 11:46:31 AM »

Beautiful OM print!  One of my old friends has a poster shop in Emeryville (actually they just moved to Alameda) called Monolith Press that does the posters, an old friend of mine did that art...  Do you know those guys Evo?!

I do know those guys. I worked on the colors for the shirt with Davey, this was actually printed to simulate the split fountain that Monolith did on the posters.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline DanK

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2011, 11:55:05 AM »

I do know those guys. I worked on the colors for the shirt with Davey, this was actually printed to simulate the split fountain that Monolith did on the posters.

It looks great.

Crazy, another little coincidence on TSB (Inkwerks and I figured out a couple months ago that we were old friends in high school but hadn't seen or talked to each other for like 20 years).  Mauz is an old buddy of mine from SoCal where we both grew up.  Our families go camping every year, and I think he may even be bringing his family and mom over to our place for Thanksgiving.  Did you know he just moved?  Got a nice much larger shop on the old Alameda Naval Weapons station.  He bought a new press last year too, things are looking great around there...

I recently read an older post from you selling equipment.  We needed that dryer for a new shop in Napa, but when I had finally seen the post, you had already sold everything.  I was bummed I missed it cause that would have been perfect...
Dan Holzer

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 04:16:06 PM »
His press was pretty sweet too. I should have got a hold of that baby. Hey Dan are coming back down here for turkey day?
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline DanK

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2011, 04:38:19 PM »
What's up Jason?!  I've been thinkin I owe you a call.  Nope, not going down for Thanksgiving, we're hosting at my house this year...  I will be down there the weekend before Christmas though, we should def go grab a beer then.  Also, ISS a month later.
Dan Holzer

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 10:54:55 PM »
Cool. I will give you a call Friday. I am interested to hear how the other place is doing.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin