Author Topic: Inkscape and Gimp  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Inkscape and Gimp
« on: February 25, 2017, 10:52:02 AM »
Is anyone messing with these open source alternatives to the mainstream offerings from Adobe and Corel? (RIP Macromedia and Aldus with a tip of the hat to Altsys Masterpiece)
Are you receiving client files created using them?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Inkscape and Gimp
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 11:15:54 AM »
You're dating yourself Andy. I loved Freehand, started when it was still Aldus... I've checked out both Inkscape and Gimp and they are functional, but I've had the Adobe products for so long I don't use them. Affinity Designer, a $40.00 app looks like a good budget product for those who want to check it out.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 11:24:56 AM »
I don't think that anyone who has the mainstream products would switch to these open source programs, but I do find folks new to the game balking at the high prices when usable freebies exist.
I know that I'm not plunking down money on Word or the other Microsoft Office programs any longer. Open Office is a viable alternative for my needs. Perhaps these graphic equivalents are sufficient for artistic dabblers (God help us, LOL!)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 02:51:38 PM »
I have never received or have been asked if I can open or work with an inkscape or gimp file.
It was the talk (small talk) for a while, but I haven't seen much mention of them these days. Like I've seen a discussion on it maybe one in two years, so that kind of tells you something.  Not sure why.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 05:03:03 PM »
I have never received or have been asked if I can open or work with an inkscape or gimp file.
It was the talk (small talk) for a while, but I haven't seen much mention of them these days. Like I've seen a discussion on it maybe one in two years, so that kind of tells you something.  Not sure why.

The inkscape files I got last week were fairly straightforward svg vectors.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »
I've had a few customers who did their own design work in GIMP. But it's been for really simple spot color stuff. As long as they got it to me at 300ppi, actual print size, it was plenty good enough. (And it's easy to have them export it as some universal file type.)

One of these same customers would also fiddle around with some app on his phone, and mock up text-based designs with really cool fonts. They looked great, but all he could send me was low-res PNGs or JPEGs. I'd have to charge him to redraw in Illustrator. After paying for that a couple times, he went so far as to contact the app developers, & managed to get the names of the fonts. Most were free / open source, so that lowered his art fees. I always thought it was a cumbersome way to do things, but he really liked that app!

That said, it's been 2-3 years since I've knowingly gotten something from any of those programs/apps. Of course, for all the JPEGs & PNGs we still get, there's no way to know exactly what the customers are using.

I actually keep a copy of GIMP around; I never use it personally anymore, but sometimes walk friends & family through it when they want to do something to their photos that less-robust products can't handle. It has a lot of capabilities, it's just not production-friendly.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »
Gimp isn't bad but I feel like I didn't have enough control doing seps. I'm sure with more tinkering around it could be worth it.