Author Topic: Astute Graphics Vector First Aid  (Read 3614 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Astute Graphics Vector First Aid
« on: May 03, 2017, 09:31:49 AM »
I got one of those PITA vectors files loaded with clipping masks and hidden vectors way down deep, the kind of file I would routinely take into Photoshop to work on. Then I had a recollection of the Astute Graphics tools, and found Vector First Aid. It looks like just the thing, has anyone used it and have a review?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Astute Graphics Vector First Aid
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 10:18:52 AM »
I think that you can download a 15 day trial.
https://astutegraphics.com/

How about Vector Magic? A standalone program rather than a plug-in, and a little more costly to buy, but also available as a subscription for $8 a month.
https://vectormagic.com/
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 10:30:47 AM »
the Vector First Aid is for working on vectors specifically, as opposed to tracing; fixing broken lines, removing unnecessary points, hidden vectors and clipping masks. Vector Magic looks great for the tracing, as does that site that recently changed it's name that I can't recall, for $15.00 a shot...

Steve

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 11:18:09 AM »
Ah, interesting, (not being an AI guy, I glossed over the details in the description and jumped to a false conclusion). I'm curious as to what constitutes a crappy vector based design, and what decisions are made by the program as to how it should look.
Please keep us posted if you make the plunge yourself.

Oh, and the company that changed its name you're referring to is probably Artwork Source changing to Ignition Drawing

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 11:38:33 AM »
Ignition, that's it. And here's a good example of messy vectors

Steve

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 11:49:15 AM »
Ah yes, that's how a great number of AI files look when we open them in CorelDRAW. I've always thought that many amateurs often create their art using the digital graphics equivalent of sweeping dirt under a rug.
By all means go for this program as you know I'll eventually be asking you for help with a problem file, LOL!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 01:46:39 PM »
Ah yes, that's how a great number of AI files look when we open them in CorelDRAW. I've always thought that many amateurs often create their art using the digital graphics equivalent of sweeping dirt under a rug.
By all means go for this program as you know I'll eventually be asking you for help with a problem file, LOL!

Ah, it's good to know I'll make the money back quickly, LOL!

Steve

I'll probably need a few minutes to learn it...

OK, now that I've run it a dozen times, holy cow. The file I showed cleaned up in about 2 seconds, literally. Even if I place (import) a file from a more current version of Illy (I run CS6) and the inherent extra clipping masks that come with that, they clean right up, all unnecessary clipping masks gone, literally, 2 seconds...

Steve
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:41:06 AM by Sbrem »