Author Topic: BLADES About how long do they last?  (Read 748 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
BLADES About how long do they last?
« on: June 08, 2017, 10:57:16 AM »
I've been here over 8 months and had never changed out a blade for cutting vinyl. I don't suspect we use it "that much" compared to others to ware it down that much, but some colors cut great like the white....while a few others like Royal, don't cut "as well".  Takes more effort to peel it up.
I think it's cutting ok, just maybe the characteristics of some colors maybe?

Do some colors just cut better than others?  They are all the same manufacturer.  So I'm also thinking AGE. If that were the case, then perhaps it vinyl might be more brittle than the other newer vinyls.

Colors can be odd. Like some ink colors print easier than others. I might be reaching, but say a Royal, contains more minerals that might make it more difficult for a smooth cut.  For inks, the Cyan ink particles are more oblong shaped and is often why Cyan tends to pubg up more in the screen (I'm told by an ink manufacturer at one time).
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: BLADES About how long do they last?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 11:07:19 AM »
I am still on an original blade for close to two years now, but i am also pretty low volume.
When you say that Royal is more difficult to weed, do you actually have spots that aren't cut completely through to the backing film? If so, perhaps you could increase the cutting depth a whisker.
There could be slight variances in the thickness of some of your films.
Also, some models have cutting strips that wear and need replacement to work well.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: BLADES About how long do they last?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 02:10:31 PM »
We go through about a blade per month. But we also cut every day. One thing about the blades is when you get a fresh one make sure to back off your cutting depth till your getting a good cut and just barely contacting the backing with the blade. When the blade starts to show signs of getting a little dull add a little more depth. You can keep doing this till you get close to cutting the backing material itself. Then its time to swap the blade. Adding pressure does not help a blunt blade, should only be increased for tougher materials. Your plotter should have a test it can cut for checking cut depth and blade sharpness. It should be a little triangle with in a square. If the corners are not cutting well then the blade is usually dull at that point. Also the blade only cuts on one plane left to right, that means the mylar strip under the blade, it only wears out along one single line, there is no need to replace that strip just simply peel it up, move it forward or backwards or rotate it to a new surface. That strip is not that big of a deal on thicker materials like heat press vynil but when it comes to sign vinyl it makes a huge difference.
"No man is an island"