Author Topic: Here is the ghostscript questions Andy!!  (Read 10434 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Here is the ghostscript questions Andy!!
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 11:01:40 PM »
Yep... not sure what or where it went wrong... but I selected all then picked the greyscale black (tooltip says 100%k) that seemed to do the trick.

I definitely learned a few things in this little glitch!

Thanks EB, didn't know you could assign a psd file a color (kind of weird but I guess that works!)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 12:01:06 AM »
Ok, new problem maybe someone knows the answer to.

I have some solid black (the bars of the cross hairs) that is ABSOLUTELY 100% K when I pass the eyedropper around.

Yet, when I bring the PSD into AI and run it through ghostscript and print out of ghostview to PDF (just to view it) the 100% ends up looking like about 95% (maybe less).

this clearly won't work.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 10:56:46 PM »
Anyone have an answer for this issue?

It's getting to be crunch time and I've got no answer.

Just did the artwork for the back of the shirt and had to place some PSD files into the rest of the stuff in Illustrator and it's not reading them as 100% black.

The PSD's are saved as grey scale and are 100% black.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 11:32:48 PM »
Print a piece of paper out of GS and see if it halftones.

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 11:34:20 PM »
Can you send the PS file to me? 

I'm not touching the import to Iilly problem as I would not be doing that so have no clue.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 11:43:55 PM »
Attached.

Obviously it should work.  People do it all the time and it shows up as 100% black but oh well.

anything you can offer is great!

This is actually the front of the shirt.  The cross hairs should be SOLID as welll as the outlines on the turkey.

You will see the text is fine as well as the cajun wineglass (originated in Illustrator).

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 11:58:33 PM »
I just opened the .ps file (I actually had meant to send the Photoshop (PS) file, lol). 

However, having said that.  I used Ghost to open it up for printing. 

The crosshairs, except for being a bit raster jaggy are definitely solid as is the outline of the turkey. 

The insides have several densities which I believe is what you wanted. 

Skip the Illy step and open that .ps file in Ghost.  Print from Ghost.  End of story.

Attached is the screen print of the scanned back in top of your pic.  I only printed on 8.5x11 so chopped off the bottom but that's irrelevant.

Printed the bottom part and the scan back in is now attached as well. 

Wine glass is solid.  So solid it laid down so much ink it made the paper wrinkled so it may look like it has lines, but it don't.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 12:11:29 AM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 12:07:04 AM »
Hmmm... I wonder why when I render it out of ghostview to a PDF that it shows crazy halftones on the 100%?  :(

The photoshop file was just that turkey in gray scale.  I'm sure you can imagine it.  Nothing fancy.  Yes, there is some nasty raster artifacts going on... but it is what it is.  I'll run a test print on the printer and see what it looks like in the morning (no printer at the house).

Actually I print it out remotely so I can have it when I walk in the door. :)

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 12:23:17 AM »
Dunno,

But I think you go down a lot of dark alleys (Photoshop to Illy, render from Ghost to pdf, etc) when just printing it out directly might have solved most of your issues. 

An investment of $150 or less for a printer "at the house" might have saved you a bunch of posts, lost time, and mild frustration. 

Actually the reason I didn't print your entire image at once is I'm using a cheap azz $49 Brother multiifunction printer/scanner for draft stuff.  My HP9800 is what I use for film. 

Just my 2c.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 12:23:46 AM »
Attached is the screen print of the scanned back in top of your pic.  I only printed on 8.5x11 so chopped off the bottom but that's irrelevant.

So how did you do the "test" screen capture with the halftones?

That's why I'm dumping to PDF because I can't see another way of doing it so I can look at the dots before printing.  I know it's just a little paper and ink, but have my printer set up to print slowly so it's faster to check it digitally.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 12:25:36 AM »
LOL... you are correct... but once this is all sorted out I shouldn't be printing out at home very often anyway.

Just got to work out the kinks here.

Juggling all the businesses gets a little hectic at times so I end up hammering this stuff out late at night while in bed.

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 12:32:41 AM »

So how did you do the "test" screen capture with the halftones?

That's why I'm dumping to PDF because I can't see another way of doing it so I can look at the dots before printing.  I know it's just a little paper and ink, but have my printer set up to print slowly so it's faster to check it digitally.

Printed out to paper, scaned back in to a .jpg file, which I should have attached, lol, but instead i have a little screen capture tool called Print Key Pro that is like Snagit and others and creates a small .png file. 

Like I said, in retrospect, I could (should have?) have posted the .jpg, but went to more trouble, lol, catching the screen print of the .jpg display and saving and posting that, doh!!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 10:29:03 AM »
Well... I guess I got a new problem.  Lucky you guys.

I got to work to find this (attached).

Now, if anyone remembers I had no problem rendering my halftones out of ghostview for my block test.  AND the PDF's show half tones (albeit too much)... so it seems there is a disconnect between the printer and ghostscript.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 12:07:52 PM »
That's some weird stuff man. What printer and what driver are you using? Also what are your
separation settings out of Illy?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 12:33:01 PM »
Epson WF1100, windows 7 64bit driver.

Settings out of Illy is Postscript file using the 5500 driver, output is set to separations (host based), 25lpi 25 degree elliptical.