Author Topic: Holding registration -- what is a reasonable expectation?  (Read 5381 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Holding registration -- what is a reasonable expectation?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2017, 12:44:46 PM »
Yep, it was mentioned before that the frames themselves may be moving within the clamps. Assuming that they are really snug, adding something with a little friction can only help.
I have to say, that I don't seem to have this problem on my old Workhorse, but who knows? As I said, the addition of non-skid sandpaper tape can only help.
I'm less concerned about the bolts extending further than a fatter frame would have them.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2017, 03:20:20 PM »
I know on my workhorse, they only welded a nut to the top of the clamp and with no screen there is a noticeable wiggle in the bolts and bar that holds the screen if you wiggle the nylon knobs back and forth. 

But, I put a wooden frame in the clamp, tightened it down and pushed it left and right and did not notice any deflection at all.

If it's moving both left and/or right enough to throw off registration, you have to be able to stand to the side, hold on to the clamp and bump (in the air) the screen forward and back and see deflection SOMEWHERE.  If not, then don't hold the clamp and do the same thing.  SOMETHING......is giving. 

Since he said the screen is held in gorilla tight, I'd agree that it's probably not in the screen clamping.

I know this is off the chart, but.........there is a bearing in the middle that holds the carousal.  Could the bearing be loose enough (or dry) to cause a shift?  If there is, the very smallest of movement in the center would be a lot on the outer parts of the arm holding a screen.  Workhorse has instructions for assembly and disassembly for removing the top carousal.  It might be worth the effort to remove the center bolts, have someone help lift it off (it IS heavy) and inspect and lubricate the bearings.  I know that's pretty bizarre, but might be worth a shot.  Does the carousel turn easily?  Any grinding sounds?  Even if the center bolt is the slightest bit loose, there could be a deflection if it rides up and down.

Maybe the assembly never did get tightened down in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:33:18 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline redwoodtees

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 12:47:56 AM »
I think it is the screen moving in the clamp. If I put a screen in the clamp and tighten it partway, the screen obviously is easy to move around. I gradually tighten it, and it becomes more stable, but it will still move around slightly. I can see the clamp bolts pivoting back and forth as the screen moves. I think there is still a slight amount of movement, even when the screen is as tight as I can make it. Have you ever tried to clamp something small with a very large C-clamp? the c-clamp has a lot of strength in one axis, but it is downright wobbly in the other axis. Seems like the same idea with the clamp on the press.

So I heard the advice about putting non-slip tape on the clamp surface. My only concern with this is that it does not sound like it will be very good for the screen.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 11:45:06 AM »
So I heard the advice about putting non-slip tape on the clamp surface. My only concern with this is that it does not sound like it will be very good for the screen.

Maybe try some of the non-skid rubber they make for kitchen shelves first? (Sold in rolls.) Cut to fit, and put it in loose, maybe above & beneath the screen frame edge.  That might help the grip when you tighten down. And if it doesn't work, just take it off & try something else. (Never tried this myself, btw. But I do use the stuff under furniture to keep it from sliding on smooth floors.)
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 12:01:49 PM »
I think I was the one that mentioned the non-skip tape above.  I did use that on an old POS press and it definitely improved the grip on the screen.    Yes, it will dig in the points on the tape into the wood and leave some small impressions, but not sure what other options exist, especially if you are noticing movement when clamped down tight.

In my post yesterday I had clamped a wooden screen (1 3/8 frame) into my workhorse (does not have the non-skip tape).  I tightened down but not what I would call gorilla tight and I cannot notice any movement.

This is a silly question, but after you adjust the micros, you are tightening down the back set of knobs to hold the adjustment, right?  I'm sorry if that sounds insulting, but I can't think of much else going on.

Can you post a picture of your press so we can see what model it is?  Workhorse has made several models.

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline TORB

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 11:54:50 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that, looks like you have a loose pair of nylon bolts, yes the white ones and you have to tight the micro registration head .This problem is so common with this brand of machines.
Do the same on all the machine's heads. :)
Best Regards
Fernando Nieto
714 341 7667
The Old Ruler T-Shirt Co.

Offline push_pull

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2017, 01:03:30 PM »
There are small Allen head bolts that secure the screen clamp to the tightening knobs/rods.  Over time they back out and will do wonky things to how the clamp interacts with the frame.  Try sticking a folded cleanup card between the clamp and the frame directly under the threaded rod of the clamp.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk