Computers and Software > Separation Programs

Ink Seps

<< < (2/4) > >>

zanegun08:

--- Quote from: Colin on September 10, 2017, 12:38:32 PM ---If you have an option to use an original image, get a program that lets you use that original image.
--- End quote ---

Yes, but the question is what format is an original image?  If it's made digitally of course, but a scanner can san into any format.

Since I have to much time, I made a vector smart object at 600 dpi, could be 300, or 150 it's all the same.  Transparent background, and saved it as a jpeg, tif, png, all zoomed in at 300 percent in the same tip of an arrow.  The only one that has a downside is jpeg makes it non transparent so I added a white background to the others for a fair comparison rather than the two being on checkerboard.  You see they are all the exact same.

Unless you are compressing your images when you save it, filetype doesn't really mean anything towards quality (within reason, gif is color limited, obviously I'm not advocating .ppt and .doc)

Sbrem:
Many years ago we used to use Jeff Campos at Electronic Design Group for our high end seps after meeting him at a show, nice work always. He required that we sent a 300 ppi jpeg, which confused me based on what I had read up to that time, and the seps were beautiful. As long as they were at 300 ppi at the finished size or larger. When you get down to it, converting to halftones, putting it on screen fabric and printing onto a t-shirt pretty much mucks up those finer points, but if the shirt looks great, it looks great.

Steve

tonypep:
Yeah Jeff closed up EDG ys ago he was one of the best. Expensive though and that was one of the issues that forced him to close

ScreenFoo:

--- Quote from: zanegun08 on September 10, 2017, 11:42:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: Colin on September 10, 2017, 12:38:32 PM ---If you have an option to use an original image, get a program that lets you use that original image.
--- End quote ---

Yes, but the question is what format is an original image?  If it's made digitally of course, but a scanner can san into any format.

Since I have to much time, I made a vector smart object at 600 dpi, could be 300, or 150 it's all the same.  Transparent background, and saved it as a jpeg, tif, png, all zoomed in at 300 percent in the same tip of an arrow.  The only one that has a downside is jpeg makes it non transparent so I added a white background to the others for a fair comparison rather than the two being on checkerboard.  You see they are all the exact same.

Unless you are compressing your images when you save it, filetype doesn't really mean anything towards quality (within reason, gif is color limited, obviously I'm not advocating .ppt and .doc)

--- End quote ---

Just a couple points:  GIF and PNG are usually referred to as 'lossless' compression standards.  As you point out, GIF had color limits, that's the main reason PNG came about.  Either format should not have significant print issues inherent to the type of file being used for spot color.  JPG on the other hand, can be anywhere from really nice at high resolutions and low compression ratios to horrid at the opposite.  Even the best examples will have significant differences from the original file if you look close enough, and even simple spot color designs will rarely come away unscathed. 

Colin is right on here, you may be able to get a decent looking shirt out of 120 DPI JPG, but it won't be easy, and it could easily look better with the proper file up front.
If you can get either a lossless compression format, or even just uncompressed like TIFF at high res, your life is easier period.

Sbrem:
I'll recommend having PhotoZoom Pro in your Photoshop arsenal (Homer will chime in here I bet) When I can't get anything else, this will give some fairly good results, depending of course on the original.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version