Author Topic: Anyone ever checked out this DVD?  (Read 5423 times)

Offline starchild

Re: Anyone ever checked out this DVD?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 07:52:11 PM »
Hi everyone this is my first post. Lurking for months now.

I would also recommend Deke Mcclelland various one on one training series on lynda.com.
It's a bounty of information on PS and Illi and will take you from novice to master on knowing all the tools and professional techniques. I currently have almost every title in his collection. On more than on one occasion I have tried petitioning him to do a training series on  color separation for screen printing. Taz Tally has a pre-press essential training dvd on lynda but it's for webb and offset printing. However few designers prepare designs with screen printing in mind so learning/mastering PS does not require you to get it from Dane plus it's outdated.

I think who ever comes out with a proper color separation training title would change the game. Bye bye Quick-Seps, T-seps, and Separation Studio. But I figure the people that do know how to properly color separate has to earn a living and will take their secretes to the grave with them. Welcome back Quick-Seps, T-seps, and Separation Studio. We will loose the art but mediocre automation will see us through.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Dane is an incredible artist and it really surprises me his stuff was so basic.

Everything I've learned about PS and AI, separations and making art I've learned from looking over the shoulder of artists over the years and now that i have to do it, the web and tutorials. I found a guy on YouTube who gets down and dirty with PS channel seps and DCS files and shows how easy they really are. I just stumbled upon his stuff and it helped me get into channel seps as layers and that darn eye dropper just wasn't doing it for me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/eternyl

I watch his stuff over and over and over and take notes each time. I made a tech sheet with all the steps and tips so now I grab the sheet and make my seps. Working one now for a friend that has a Mardi Gras style mask. I was having some trouble with the gray and he has one video dedicated to getting the gray.. I never would have thought to make a gray plate that way but so far, it's the best way I've seen. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/eternyl#p/u/3/_6Pvtz-Jmvw

I've seen and been around just about every available seperation program avaialable out there and the best seps are the ones you do yourself or pay a separator to do them for you.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 01:32:22 PM by jsheridan »
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 08:43:07 PM »
Yeah, here is the table of contents which tell you also how much time is spent on the topic.

IF I'd had seen this I wouldn't have gotten it.  Plain and simple.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 08:44:40 PM »
I just stumbled upon his stuff and it helped me get into channel seps as layers and that darn eye dropper just wasn't doing it for me.

I watch his stuff over and over and over and take notes each time.

I just stumbled on his stuff the other day while at the computer shop and I still have the video up right now (this is why I end up with 60+ tabs open)... I just haven't sat down to watch it all yet.  Looks like I need to make it a priority!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 12:08:27 PM »
Just spoke with a guy.

They will be giving me a refund.  They were reluctant, for good reason, but eventually understood.  Refund minus shipping of course which I understand.

As I explained to them, it was a simple misunderstanding of the product not being the right fit for us.

I wish they would list their table of contents on the site but they won't do that.

I'd also like to see the description worded more along the lines of "Basic skills for Photoshop from a screen printers perspective" as opposed to "Basic skills for screen printers"

This video would be great  for someone that doesn't know photoshop as they give a lot of good tips and go into great depth of photoshop.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 12:18:59 PM »
The fact that it is titled for Direct to garment and Sublimation as well as Screen Printing should have been a red flag for you. DTG and Sub does not require what print seperations and such does.
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 01:05:23 PM »
Almost NINE HOURS of information.

You don't think they could touch on each subject.

I mean, I watch 30 mins of vids on youtube and get more screen print orientated tricks than I got in 9 hours.  So no, that's not a red flag.  How much time to put in some simple spot color sep info?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 04:02:33 PM »
Hey bud, sorry if I helped lead you astray; based on my few dealing with them, I found them helpful. Well, at least they took it back, a lot of places wouldn't do that.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 04:52:54 PM »
Yea, me too.  Sorry for directing you towards purchasing something like that. Like you said tho. It's how it's worded that makes a difference. They should make it more advertised for the beginners.  I assumed with all of his hype and the saturation of his product at all the shows that he had good product.  Again,  I "assumed".  Sorry for that.

D

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 05:02:07 PM »
I don't hold you guys responsible.

I guess as they suggested I should have called them to verify.  I would have thought they would have heeded my suggestion of making the TOC available but they did not.

It was kind of funny though, they said at every show they do that is one of the main questions people ask, "Does this talk about separations in photoshop".  So I would think they could see how one might be led to believe that.

Oh well... taking it back wasn't all THAT simple.  Rightfully they don't like to take a product like this back given the nature of how easy it could be copied.  But I was fairly certain from our brief discussion that he could tell that I wasn't really a beginner trying to get something for nothing and that this product just wasn't the right fit.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »
I found a guy on YouTube who gets down and dirty with PS channel seps and DCS files and shows how easy they really are. I just stumbled upon his stuff and it helped me get into channel seps as layers and that darn eye dropper just wasn't doing it for me.

Not that it wouldn't work for basic spot colors but isn't this more of a Simulated Process separation?