Author Topic: If anyone has ever wondered...  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
Re: If anyone has ever wondered...
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 02:47:47 PM »
In defense of cans, they have their place. They chill really fast. While camping, a soak in a cool stream does not take long to reach the good stuff inside, and if one has access to to a shallow bowl and a few ice cubes, and a little water, a can be chilled in less than a minute, spinning it in the icy water.

Add some rock salt to that ice water and it will get colder even faster.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »
Like with an ice cream maker. Now you could even make a malt beverage slushie.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 03:08:23 PM »
Bad draught is a result of unclean beer lines. Quality establishments would not let this happen.

Canned beer is making a comeback, at least here on the west coast. More and more microbrews
are being canned as opposed to bottled. Same rules as any beer applies, don't get it hot, don't
swing the temperature too much, etc. A quality beer tastes as good at room temperature as it does
cold.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 03:12:18 PM »
I actually like my beer not freezing cold.  crappy beer needs to be uber cold to cover the flavor.  good beer should be served slightly colder than red wine IMHO.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 03:13:34 PM »
Bingo Brad. Cold = numb taste buds.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »
Well, it's not that you necessarily suck at cutting, but like so many other things, experience can count for a lot. Some folks can follow a straight guide line better than others, but that can often be fixed by the use of a correctly placed, clamped wood, plastic, or metal guide to which the side of the saw can ride against.
The other common problem with accuracy to newbie saw-ers, is not compensating for the kerf (the width of the material we now see as sawdust or metal shavings)

Instant edit since last post:
Mike has the same idea with his "fence"

One of the funniest newbie wood worker mistakes is when lets say they have a, eight foot 2x4 and they want three peices all 2 feet long, they grab the tape measure and measure out 2 feet mark, 4 feet mark and 6 feet and mark. They then cut the three marks and wonder why two of the pieces are so short!
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 03:27:31 PM »
you measure?

Offline bj

• !!!
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »
I get annoyed when I see a contractor making a mistake, point it out and they look at me since I am a woman like I am one that doesn't know what I am talking about.   I just walk away and tell them they can fork over the money for their own mistake then because I warned them:) 

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »
Now first off, Oly is not malt liquor.  What do I seem like a malt liquor guy or something?  (not saying I'm not)  I do firmly agree on the beer temperature to quality correlation.   

Second, we can't recycle glass here.  Yes, that is dumber than hell and I hate throwing glass out all time, just feels stupid.  It typically needs to be shipped so far that the fuel used outweighs the benefits of recycling.  The Target store up here does let folks load up glass on their empty trucks heading back West to drop off at recycling centers on the way and there are a couple of glass crushers around the area who make product out of the bottles that's used inside concrete and whatnot.  So even our finer beers brewed here in town, and fine they are, come in cans.  Olympia is not one of those beers but it's pretty decent for $5 for a sixer of tall cans.  We also use a lot of cans here because we spend a lot of outdoors and specifically river time, busted glass in yer foot or waders is a buzz kill and swigging bottle on the river is bad form.

Last off, I've cut aluminum platens, rubber and all, in a more proper fashion on a table saw and it seems most any carbide tipped blade works quite well.  The platen I hacked up above with the 'ol circ saw is actually fairly smooth.   You want to be sure your blade is spinning away from you though, lest you get impaled by a spear of aluminum.

You all don't like my cut job?  Come on, I drew some lines on there and yes I know what a kerf is.  I even 'rounded' the corners if you look at the pic.   :o

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »
I don't know, I liked it.
Great pic.
 :)

Offline terryei

• !!!
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 06:26:36 PM »
In defense of cans, they have their place. They chill really fast. While camping, a soak in a cool stream does not take long to reach the good stuff inside, and if one has access to to a shallow bowl and a few ice cubes, and a little water, a can be chilled in less than a minute, spinning it in the icy water.
Hmmm. Andy, I'm guessing you were in Nam?
They had plenty of beer and big blocks of ice.  Spin the can for 30 seconds and it's cold!
(no I wasn't in Nam, just a little to young, but I knew a lot that were)