Poll

NO micro setups, what percentage of the time? (multi color jobs, duh) (with a CTS or OTHER FPU setup)

with CTS 99% - 100%
0 (0%)
with CTS 95% - 98.99%
0 (0%)
with CTS 90% - 94.99%
3 (23.1%)
with CTS less than 89.99%
1 (7.7%)
without CTS 99% - 100%
0 (0%)
without CTS 95% - 98.99%
3 (23.1%)
without CTS 90% - 94.99%
0 (0%)
without CTS 80% - 89.99%
1 (7.7%)
without CTS less than 79.99%
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Film Position Unit accuracy  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
Film Position Unit accuracy
« on: November 21, 2017, 11:17:02 AM »
two thing I want to learn from this - are CTS's hyper accurate?
can a cheap alternative to a CTS provide CLOSE TO or AS GOOD AS off-press registration?

feel free to comment your take on those as well.

We are a 1 auto, 1 manual shop. 10-15 screens per day. Mostly 2-3 color work. Some 5-6-7 color work at least 2X a week.
Setups are slow. We run an Alan style inverted Tri-Loc fpu for taping film, and a Tri-Loc jig/stop black on our RPM. We are well below anything like 80% accuracy, no micros needed. Closer to 15% perhaps. Trying to determine if this is simply human error or something we're missing. 80 to 99% accuracy from the get-go would be effing amaze balls.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Film Position Unit accuracy
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 11:31:17 AM »
Human error or some issue with your setup. On my diy inverted flu I am around 80 to 90%. On spot color stuff it might honestly be almost 100%...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 11:39:22 AM »
On my DIY unit I built for our press I will say it's 98% when I use all the correct screens and not mix and match or get sloppy taping art
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 12:30:31 PM »
Yea, it really should be extremely accurate unless:

-films arent lining up fresh out of the printer due to drag on the roll or printing them at different rotations (landscape vs portrait).
-not precisely taping the films when on the FPU
-Your FPU stops contact the screens in a different spot or height than your registration pallet on press
-screens are shifting when you lock them in place
-your screens are significantly different tensions
-off contact between heads is significantly different
-squeegee pressure and angle are significantly different between heads

All or some of these combined will cause a world of headaches and slow you down...

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »
you get out what you put int. When I was doing the FPU it was 40% more accurate than when the screen guy was doing it.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 01:39:47 PM »
Yea, it really should be extremely accurate unless:

-films arent lining up fresh out of the printer due to drag on the roll or printing them at different rotations (landscape vs portrait).
-not precisely taping the films when on the FPU
-Your FPU stops contact the screens in a different spot or height than your registration pallet on press
-screens are shifting when you lock them in place
-your screens are significantly different tensions
-off contact between heads is significantly different
-squeegee pressure and angle are significantly different between heads

All or some of these combined will cause a world of headaches and slow you down...

- epson 4800, always print rotated 90 degrees to feed direction ( i never trusted the "adjust the pull difference" setting to be close enough)
- not taping accurately (THAT is always my guess - I'm hoping I'm wrong and I've missed some mechanical logic thing that will bring it all together instead...)
- static screens (no up and down worries from newman corner "shoulders" as I understand it). inverted Tri Loc expo frame has identically located stops to the Tri Loc on press jig...
- shifting when lock ... possible, that's the second user possible error, but it's the same printer and it's his headache when it's not perfect so HE'S pretty incentivized to get that part right
- diff tensions? not noticeably enough. they start low (24N and end a bit lower 18-20N) static thin threads
- OC is central on my machine, we don't use physical blocks to get away from that
- we run pretty low pressure and low angle coming from the school of Joe Clarke

you get out what you put int. When I was doing the FPU it was 40% more accurate than when the screen guy was doing it.

pierre

I agree, I think it's people (and the other reason to run this poll was to give them some baseline of general "this % of accuracy is possible elsewhere why do we suck" perspective)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »
A local shop that has a G3 and recently got a CTS and their setups have gotten so much faster since then.  But, and I will preface that I believe that he's "mostly" honest with me when it comes to production, but I think they are still behind us when it comes to setups.  He's given numbers here and there and I think when I tell him what our average day is like with a competent press op I can read from him that he's questioning what I'm telling him because it's more than what they are getting done.  He knows what they are getting done and when he asks me our numbers I can just tell he's not buying what I'm telling him. If you were to add pre-press into the equation then they would probably outperform us overall, but strictly from putting the screens on press to first shirt of the order being printed, I think we are ahead of them.

I'm not saying we are faster than most CTS shops.  But I know we're faster at a very specific area than at least a small percentage of CTS shops.  When we go CTS our production rate should increase a good bit, but I can't fathom our setups getting much faster since the room for approval in that area is almost nada.  Maybe we go from averaging 2 test prints for a 6 color to only 1 test print, but I doubt it since it usually takes us 2 just to get the print settings dialed in and it's not usually a registration problem. 

The 3 guys (including myself) that put film on screens do a great job and I can't tell a difference with who did the screens once I start test printing.  BUT... we have had employees that were absolutely awful at film placement and they were not allowed to do it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 11:29:02 AM »
Who in Austin has a G3 and CTS?  Seems like every shop out here getting new stuff is getting Sabres...

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 11:31:13 AM »
Who in Austin has a G3 and CTS?  Seems like every shop out here getting new stuff is getting Sabres...

we had one, and our set ups were never dead on.

Now that we've switched to roq, we are still working out our system, but 75% of the time we are perfect reg.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 11:34:24 AM »

Actually in G-town and a shop that used to be in north austin but they moved recently I think.  They have the RPM knockoff though, and a G3.  So I think there are 3 shops within a 20 mile radius that have a 2M/RPM and a G3 on their production floor.  Weird, but they work well together.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.