Author Topic: DIY Roller Frame Screen Prep Table  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
DIY Roller Frame Screen Prep Table
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:14:04 PM »
So my trusty old MDF table I used for stretching screens that I made years ago was getting long in the tooth. I had originally made it as a sanding table for prepping drum shells as shown here:

http://www.drumfoundry.com/t-cutting_drum_bearing_edges.aspx

I noticed some of my frames were not so flat anymore. Looks like the table was a bit warped. Time to replace it!

I went down to the local tile and stone retailer and asked them if they had any scrap granite surfaces for cheap. I use 23x31 Newman M3 frames so I knew I wanted a 24x34 or so table.

The nice gentleman in the cutting room looked around back and came up with this:
24" x 36" x 1" thick. Perfect! Price: $0.00...Extra perfect!

I took an ancient 90 duro squeegee with a busted up handle and cut up the blade into four squares. These burly shop shears from home Depot come in handy for this. Cut right through em.

To attach the bits of squeegee to the table, I used this excellent double sided carpet tape made by Intertape. My local hardware store stocks it. It's very thin, almost as thin as masking tape but the adhesive is tenacious. I also used it to stick my Tri-Loc frame to the exposure unit. (it takes a bit of strong orange solvent to get it off...)

See? Very thin.

Viola. Exceedingly flat and stable surface for stretching screens and checking flatness. The 90 duro squeegee pieces provide a safe place for the frame to sit off the table allowing clearance for the wrench, yet are hard enough and consistently flat so each corner is held to the same plane.

Materials cost:
Tape: $5.99
Squeegee bits - hmm. Can't remember. The handle was trashed anyway. Figure about 10" of hard duro squeegee material, preferably used/retired.
Granite surface: $0
Table underneath: Anything sturdy and relatively flat for the granite to go on. I used a wire shelf cart. Find a free old workbench on Craig's List for free and you're golden.

Total cost: $5.99
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:26:58 PM by Evo »
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
Re: DIY Roller Frame Screen Prep Table
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 11:19:27 PM »
Note the bit of black tape around the wrench handle? Old bike shop trick. With any combo wrench or other tools you use all the time, put tape near the end you use most. Quick visual and tactile reference.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 08:16:40 PM »
Have I mentioned this table is fantastic and my frames are super flat?

Oh yes. So good.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »
Niceskies broseph.

That rack in the background looks pretty boss as well.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:54:25 PM »
Niceskies broseph.

That rack in the background looks pretty boss as well.
The added benefit is I can pull the whole surface up and stash it out of the way, which is essential in my shop.

Dude....if I can ever find where that rack came from, I'll buy more. I picked it up used.

It has double step rails. It will fit 23" or 25" wide screens, up to 38" long. It's all powder coated steel, welded. Brilliant.