Author Topic: short bodied white inks. looking for a suggestions. . .  (Read 25789 times)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: short bodied white inks. looking for a suggestions. . .
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 05:37:18 PM »
Not to beat a dead horse but the only really good white that does what you want it to, is the one you modify yourself. Pick a brand, and startadding modifiers. Track what you added and just keep fiddling until you find a mix that works right.

I'm using Epic quick white and I'm having great results with it so far with minimal modifiers.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 05:43:41 PM »
Not to beat a dead horse but the only really good white that does what you want it to, is the one you modify yourself. Pick a brand, and startadding modifiers. Track what you added and just keep fiddling until you find a mix that works right.

I'm using Epic quick white and I'm having great results with it so far with minimal modifiers.

you know, that is a good point. I am hoping though that since there are so many of them out there that one is close to what I need. If not, I will have to go your route. But it sounds like I can get exactly what I want if I mix it myself!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 05:44:10 PM »
Our problem with puff is we deposit enough ink as it is with our mesh selections and stencil thickness that if we print a white with any puff, it is very noticeable.  WM Plastics Ultimate was unbelievable when I tried it, it literally looked like it had a good % of puff additive.

I've used Triangle's Phoenix and it is a decent all around ink.  I wouldn't mind going back to it at all and if the streetfighter doesn't work out then I might just do that.  It's got decent bleed resistance but not as good as triangle excel, which I also liked quite a bit.  Unfortunately, I don't know exactly which streetfighter we have, it says SF LB on the bucket but it's from a supplier who uses their own labels and buckets so they don't label it exactly the same as Rutland does.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 05:50:55 PM »
Homer send me some buffalo white very nice printing ink, but dang I hate having so many gal of inks "white"  I thought for a sec Sonny had a good but the next gal I used flopped.  WM Plastics utilmate  white is a good stand alone white for me and thats what I keep it around for since has some puff in it.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 05:53:30 PM »
Pierre, I am using Wilflex Quick white and it is nice. I have used about 3 gallons and I have no problems. It does have a tint of blue to it. I didn't like that when I saw it the first time. The prints look white not tinted blue. I put some reducer in it not much. It is stickier than I like but it prints really well on the auto. I am printing it really fast right now. 165 mesh first down, flood 6, print 6, with a winged flood bar, about 2.5 - 3 pressure 7 for angle, soft flood.

Tony, Have you used Quick white? How does it compare to street fighter white?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:59:48 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 05:55:13 PM »
one thing I do not wish to fight is the consistency. With some of my customers being as picky as they are, the ink has to be right on every time.

On a similar note, yesterday we had to go through 4 different ink color adjustments just to print an order that we already did about a dozen times without a problem. I think that switching to phthalate free inks is just reeking havoc on all my colors and the ink seems to print differently on different substrate. It was OK before as the originals were all printed with the same ink and when we printed the reorders, ti all looked the same. Now what's happening is when I mix the cool gray 11, it looks like cool gray 11 in the tub, but when printed on the thermals, hoodies and T-shirts, the results are different from what they used to be and we are having to resample and mix inks until we get it right. After two hours of dicking around today, I finally said it's enough and we are printing everything with the formula from the book. The customer is going to have a heart attack, but we can't have 10 different cool gray 11's and take 4 hours to print 36 shirts!

It seems to me that Union is changing some of their formulas and I am losing the consistency I had before. We have an old gallon of original white we used last year and will run some sim process jobs with it tomorrow. That will tell us exactly what is going on. I'll drop Union a line, but want to confirm my results first (just to make sure we did not mess something else up and are blaming it on the ink!

anyways, sorry for the rant . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 06:00:52 PM »
Gerry - Yes that is normal! I know it's odd, but it doesn't effect anything.
Pierre - I'll get your info and get a sample shipped out to you soon! We offer $9.99 flat rate shipping on all orders so it's not too bad at all!
Alan - Don't you miss the G4? It was a very good white.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 06:07:09 PM »
I wish ink companies had to put formula numbers on the buckets. Kind of like carpet companies have die lots. This way we know something changed.

I am just afriad when I find the perfect white it will change.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:11:29 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »

I am just afriad when I find the perfect white it will change.

If the past tells us the future, it will change the moment you decide it's the right one to use.

The desire to only have a single white for the shop is nice but really not the best way to go about it. We need to have a LB ink and a cotton ink to meet our needs. When they mix them together for a 'one size fits all' desire.. you get a product like spandex and we all know how well that fits the general public.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 02:24:40 AM by jsheridan »

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 12:13:27 AM »

You should QW's little brother Epic Sprint. I use both but the Sprint prints a lot nicer than the QW.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 02:25:53 AM »

You should QW's little brother Epic Sprint. I use both but the Sprint prints a lot nicer than the QW.

Got a gallon sitting right here I've yet to tap into.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 08:03:04 AM »
Does anybody use "Rutland Street Fighter White Low Bleed Ink" and what is their feedback on it?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 09:22:30 AM »
Alan - Don't you miss the G4? It was a very good white.

You have no idea how much I miss it.

Does anybody use "Rutland Street Fighter White Low Bleed Ink" and what is their feedback on it?

I'm sampling a gallon of it right now and it's not bad at all.  My printer likes it more than the snap white and we've been using that for about a month.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 10:58:21 AM »
White inks are like a box of chocolates you never know what you get from gal to gal.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
we just cracked open the Triangle Phoenix white, nice and creamy, you guys may want to investigate this one a bit more. From memory, One Stroke LB Premium was a pretty nice white as well, the price just got out of hand for me -but I may look at that again too. . .someday. . now that I have realized cost is nothing but a number.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...