Author Topic: 3 Phase vs 1 Phase Pros - Cons ( which is cheaper to use  (Read 1140 times)

Offline celticshrt

3 Phase vs 1 Phase Pros - Cons ( which is cheaper to use
« on: April 28, 2018, 04:09:50 PM »
Can anyone help me on this?
I have  have both 3 phase & 1 phase power in my shop, I am thinking of going to an auto and
want to know if it would be more cost efficient to have the Quartz flash & compressor/Chiller  run on 3 phase power? I would be running a 6/8 press flash could be 3 phase 30 amp and 3 phase screw compressor not sure of amperage.
thanks
Jim

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Re: 3 Phase vs 1 Phase Pros - Cons ( which is cheaper to use
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 04:50:28 PM »
I can't attest to which one is cheaper to run, but to my knowledge 3 phase is more reliable for compressor motors. I assume that the lower amp draw would help save on your utility bill as well. Since both are options for you, go with 3 phase IMO.

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 06:46:14 PM »
my understanding is 3 phase uses less amps, and is therefore cheaper and more efficient.
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 12:10:14 AM »
my understanding is 3 phase uses less amps, and is therefore cheaper and more efficient.

That's been my understanding as well
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline lancasterprinthouse

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 11:02:34 AM »
I have a 3phase power converter that turns single phase into the 3phase I need for equipment. I am also under the impression that 3 phase is cheaper and I’m not sure how my setup would compare in costs to other configurations but I’m not complaining one bit about my electric bill. Heck, I’ve had houses that have had higher electricity bills than my shop running equipment 50-60 hours a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 05:53:15 PM »
Always use 3 phase when available. Rotating equipment runs more efficiently on 3P, inductive loads like heat panels not so much of a savings. A Watt is a Watt is a Watt so 5000w single or three phase. Another benefit is lower amperage usually meaning smaller wire. 7.5 hp motor single phase 35a 10 ga wire, 3p maybe 18a 12 ga wire.