Computers and Software > Separation Programs

Seperations Studio Software

(1/2) > >>

rmonks:
Anyone using this, the You Tube video shows it to be pretty simple, and it works on both PS, or CDR , only draw back is it cost $895 , I have Quick Seps Professional, but haven't had the time to get good at using Photoshop.

Frog:
My understanding on all separation software, is that none of them are fully automated, and all require some user tweaking to optimize results.
If I were you, already owning Quick Seps Pro, before plunking down another $895 dollars, I would at the very least take advantage of Steve Roginski's participation here to help you get the very most out of that program.
He has always been quite helpful.

tpitman:
I watched the video, and the only advantage I see is that it'll run files from Illustrator, CorelDraw and Corel Photopaint in addition to Photoshop. On the other hand, perhaps simply not mentioned in the video, I don't see where it does anything other than simulated process. For what they're worth, QuikSeps and T-Seps do offer regular process and index in addition to simulated process.
Seems to me if you can export a Corel file to a format Photoshop will recognize that $895 is a lot to spend on the convenience of opening that CorelDraw file without exporting.

Evo:

--- Quote from: tpitman on December 04, 2011, 02:03:56 PM ---I watched the video, and the only advantage I see is that it'll run files from Illustrator, CorelDraw and Corel Photopaint in addition to Photoshop. On the other hand, perhaps simply not mentioned in the video, I don't see where it does anything other than simulated process. For what they're worth, QuikSeps and T-Seps do offer regular process and index in addition to simulated process.
Seems to me if you can export a Corel file to a format Photoshop will recognize that $895 is a lot to spend on the convenience of opening that CorelDraw file without exporting.

--- End quote ---

I think you have it backwards here...

Sep Studio will open pretty much any raster file that will support transparency, but I think it's .tif that works best. The resulting separated file can be loaded into Corel and then scalable text and other vector elements can be added and output with the same spot colors as the seps generated in Sep Studio. That way you are printing sharp text on top of the raster seps. (and not depending on high resolution to make the text clean).

Sep studio can also produce a black plate so the seps can be used on light garments.

I dove head first into the trial but I never went ahead and bought it, I never really had the demand for it.

I tweaked it a bit for use with printing with wb dye discharge inks (instead of opaque plastisols) and the results were quite good. It meant brightening up some of the colors, eliminating the underbase (yes!) and tweaking or eliminating the highlight white.

ZooCity:
Jason did you find sep studio to offer anything that a good skill set in working in PS with channel seps does not? 

I find channel separating to be pretty natural and easy going save for my lack of some intermediate PS skills.  Then, I convert my channels to spot color, save as .psd or .dsc and place into Illustrator for vector additions and final output to Accurip.  Using the spot colors once in Illy and overprint setting it works quite smoothly and seems only limited by my own skills. 

I saw the trial vid and it seemed that sep studio simply offers a better workspace for previewing the composites and automates some of the process for you.   I do like that it seems to be less of a "seps in a can" program and more catered to adjusting your plates and predicting the outcome.  I find it hard to shell out that price for it though over other things we could use. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version