Author Topic: Gauntlet 3 vs Challenger 3?  (Read 1474 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Gauntlet 3 vs Challenger 3?
« on: January 28, 2019, 08:37:14 PM »
What is the rough price difference between these presses for the same number of colors? What are the main differences when it comes to features etc?

We have put almost 500k impressions on our 8/10 sabre since may and need a bigger, faster press moving forward. I like the idea of the tables not lifting, but want to keep the same basic tooling as our sabre so ROQ isn't a consideration right now.

Right now I'm leaning toward 12 or 14 heads, maybe more if it's in the cards. Our business has literally grown over 1000% in the last 2 years and I think we are way over last year's January totals already as well so I am trying to plan long term if possible.

If y'all were looking at a second auto, which way would you lean? We will also be looking at something like a sprint 3000 and a bunch of other peripheral upgrades. If anyone has suggestions there they are much appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline zanegun08

Re: Gauntlet 3 vs Challenger 3?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 09:11:49 PM »
If you have the room, look at the Strykers, we bought a 14 color Challenger III recently and for about the same Stryker was like 50k less than the Challenger III.

Unless you need oversized prints, got with the Gauntlet, the main differences are "slower" but who can load a shirt consistently good for long periods of time at super speeds, both the heads stay stationary, the control panel on the Gauntlet is smaller, there are some other bells and whistles on the Challenger III but we don't really use them.

Get a quote on both, look at the Challenger III first, get sticker shock, and then look at the Gauntlet III and buy that, or a Stryker but you need lots of space for that.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 07:01:50 AM »
That's some awesome growth. What's your secret?! ;D

Always pondered the difference of the 2 myself. G3 looks like it does all the same stuff as the challenger.

You planning on adding a second press or replacing the Sabre?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 07:51:01 AM »
Adding a second press definitely. Our biggest hurdle right now other than the general speed of the sabre is down time due to job turnover. Having the second auto would mean a single crew could switch between presses without downtime because we would be setting up one job on the idle press while the other is printing. On days where we need both for pure volume, we would have them as well of course.

Growth has been awesome, though no real secret. We do good work, we got a few key clients and word of mouth from those clients has been massive. We are also unlike a lot of shop as we do everything, screenprinting, stickers, vinyl, inhouse transfers, DTG, dye sub, web store management, fulfillment, etc.

We are looking into a 12000 sq ft space right now, so we will have plenty of room in the short term. Is the striker modular, meaning we can add capacity later? What is the main advantage of the ovals over a carousel? Do they keep up speedwise?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 08:06:26 AM »
We have a Challenger 3D and we always assumed we'd simply add another 3D when we add a second press. Seems most are recommending we go with a Gauntlet 3. We are still undecided. Our wall is coming down this week so we will be deciding soon and ordering soon I suspect.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 08:47:39 AM »
We have a Challenger 3D also, and I visited my buddies shop in Florida and checked out his Gauntlet 3 and it is almost the same press.  I was told you cant get a 3D anymore anyways.  Who knows?  I would do the Gauntlet if I added another press.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 09:02:26 AM »
Only thing id really super miss is the digital print pressure at the main control panel I think.

I think we will do a 18/20 press.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 09:08:23 AM »
Only thing id really super miss is the digital print pressure at the main control panel I think.

I think we will do a 18/20 press.

YES!  I do like that, and the stroke adjustment!

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 02:06:31 PM »
We have a 3D as well. It is such a time saver to set all the strokes, speed, pressure, flood speed from the control panel.  Set one head, copy, paste, and you're done.

Both the g3 and the CH3 can go faster than your press operator can load anyways, so speed isn't a huge factor between the two I would think.

The main thing is the squeegee pressure adjustment though. Even with an I-Image, the registration of images can be tricky to get perfect. We tension our screens religiously, and one of the biggest things we've found to increase the chance of a perfect reg is the stroke distance , speed, and pressure being exactly the same significantly increases the chance of locking in screens and running with no adjustment. Not to mention it is as easy as copying and pasting those settings with a few button clicks.

Another thing we use all the time is the pressure. Say you have a spot process image with skin tones. The red screen is crucial, and an adjustment of 5% pressure on that screen will take a sunburned looking skin tone and bring it back to a nice looking print. So the adjustment with a quantifiable pressure is a must have now that Ive ran this press for 3 years.

Wondering why they stopped offering the CH3D.. I always planned on buying another...

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 02:57:55 PM »
We have a 3D as well. It is such a time saver to set all the strokes, speed, pressure, flood speed from the control panel.  Set one head, copy, paste, and you're done.

Both the g3 and the CH3 can go faster than your press operator can load anyways, so speed isn't a huge factor between the two I would think.

The main thing is the squeegee pressure adjustment though. Even with an I-Image, the registration of images can be tricky to get perfect. We tension our screens religiously, and one of the biggest things we've found to increase the chance of a perfect reg is the stroke distance , speed, and pressure being exactly the same significantly increases the chance of locking in screens and running with no adjustment. Not to mention it is as easy as copying and pasting those settings with a few button clicks.

Another thing we use all the time is the pressure. Say you have a spot process image with skin tones. The red screen is crucial, and an adjustment of 5% pressure on that screen will take a sunburned looking skin tone and bring it back to a nice looking print. So the adjustment with a quantifiable pressure is a must have now that Ive ran this press for 3 years.

Wondering why they stopped offering the CH3D.. I always planned on buying another...

PRICE!!!!  not many could justify the 3D options for what it cost.  Thats what I was told.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 04:58:00 PM »
They might could ditch the bells and leave a few whistles such as that digi pressure/stroke adjust and the ability send adjustments to heads?  Those features sound smart to me and are unique to the M&R machines as far as I know.

And I emphatically agree, having matched settings on an M&R press, and any press really, is a big assist to pre-reg. 

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 06:24:58 PM »
They might could ditch the bells and leave a few whistles such as that digi pressure/stroke adjust and the ability send adjustments to heads?  Those features sound smart to me and are unique to the M&R machines as far as I know.

And I emphatically agree, having matched settings on an M&R press, and any press really, is a big assist to pre-reg.

They did this already, its called The Gauntlet 3!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 06:36:45 PM »

They did this already, its called The Gauntlet 3!

No kidding?  The G3 has the digital adjusts and ability to send adjustments to heads? 

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 10:59:42 PM »
Sounds like the gauntlet would be the better value? Anyone own one of the ovals? The idea of being able to increase heads down the road sounds intriguing...

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 11:20:56 PM »
Bimmrider just bought one to replace a challenger 2. if remember correct. contact him.
Shane

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk