Author Topic: Mooseman’s Simple Solids Trap  (Read 3897 times)

Offline CBCB

• !!!
Mooseman’s Simple Solids Trap
« on: December 20, 2019, 03:36:52 PM »
Pretty sure Mooseman is the first person I saw posting details about using a simple bucket to catch solids in reclaim. I’ve had one running for years and get asked about it a fair bit so I whipped together a video to show it. This thing catches TONS of junk and keeps it out of the drains. Just one of the many great ideas on these boards!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnLR9VOtb1Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Re: Mooseman’s Simple Solids Trap
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 05:32:25 PM »
Thanks for posting.  I'm working on one right now since I just bought a new stainless washout booth.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 06:28:36 PM »
using settling tanks is helpful, but it doesn't always filter out solids. Especially ink solids, which can sometimes have a hard time being broken down.

I'd HIGHLY suggest getting John Sheridan to build you a tank. They aren't that expensive, and they last alot longer, and filter out more!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 06:39:27 PM »
using settling tanks is helpful, but it doesn't always filter out solids. Especially ink solids, which can sometimes have a hard time being broken down.

I'd HIGHLY suggest getting John Sheridan to build you a tank. They aren't that expensive, and they last alot longer, and filter out more!

I’ve seen those tanks and they look good but I think you’ve missed the point. Yes there are better solutions available. I wouldn’t say they’re cheap though or as simple to make as this.

There’s no claim here that it filters out all the solids, just that it’s better than nothing. Which is what most people have... nothing.

Maybe because they think they need to spend hundreds when they can start preventing junk going down the drain TODAY for under $10.

Considering I passed our municipal test with flying colours with just the bucket I think that’s pretty notable. The Ryonet filter goes down to 20 microns but you can put whatever filter ya want in it. So if we wanna go lower we could.

Just saying I probably would not recommend John’s tank to someone who already owns the Ryonet one. Would definitely recommend a settling tank to anyone who owns the Ryonet one though because she’s junk without it.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 07:44:27 PM »

I’ve seen those tanks and they look good but I think you’ve missed the point. Yes there are better solutions available. I wouldn’t say they’re cheap though or as simple to make as this.

There’s no claim here that it filters out all the solids, just that it’s better than nothing. Which is what most people have... nothing.

Maybe because they think they need to spend hundreds when they can start preventing junk going down the drain TODAY for under $10.

Considering I passed our municipal test with flying colours with just the bucket I think that’s pretty notable. The Ryonet filter goes down to 20 microns but you can put whatever filter ya want in it. So if we wanna go lower we could.

Just saying I probably would not recommend John’s tank to someone who already owns the Ryonet one. Would definitely recommend a settling tank to anyone who owns the Ryonet one though because she’s junk without it.

You're right, this is better than having nothing. But honestly, i Disagree. We had 3 Ryonet filters that each had 1-2 55 gallon settling tanks, and we still got TONS of solids through. Maybe it's because we are using HSA, and if you're not careful you can get dried ink chunks. But a multi step filtration system is what is needed, regardless of your ink choice.

As an industry, we need to do better, and not just "hope Osha and the government lets us pass".
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 07:50:32 PM »

You're right, this is better than having nothing. But honestly, i Disagree. We had 3 Ryonet filters that each had 1-2 55 gallon settling tanks, and we still got TONS of solids through. Maybe it's because we are using HSA, and if you're not careful you can get dried ink chunks. But a multi step filtration system is what is needed, regardless of your ink choice.

As an industry, we need to do better, and not just "hope Osha and the government lets us pass".

What is “tons” and what microns filters were you running?

The only difference between systems in my opinion is how easy they are to clean, how much they cost, and what micron they go down to. I don’t understand how one could let more through than another? It’s a filter. So doesn’t it get clogged rather than start passing solids through the system?

That’s my experience. It doesn’t start letting junk through. The micron filters just get clogged. And then the sump pump backs up which is why we have the leak detector and alert light rigged up. Because that crap makes a mess.

If I could start over I’d build my own similar to John’s, but it’d probably just be three 5gal buckets in a row to keep it super simple.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 02:47:25 PM »
Here is a picture of a filtering system CBCB spoke about.
The system is as he says very simple. And yes it does not clean the water but it does get everything that is heavier than the water can float.
The primary key to the operation is to deliver the inflow at the near bottom of the bucket and have as great a distance as possible to the upper skim off connection. The bucket we used was a 32 gallon seed bucket and it is very effective at removing (settling out) the non floatable material. Lastly we are a small one man shop so we are not dumping 100's of gallons a day into this system.

One interesting thing will happen when you clean out this system.
You will see over time the sediment becomes stratified , very stratified obviously with the heaviest solids at the bottom and transitioning to the lighter stuff to the top.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 03:59:40 PM »
This is a good cheap solution but why not just swap the pvc with the new bucket? Pouring the full bucket into another bucket seems like a messy step.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 05:12:52 PM »
This is a good cheap solution but why not just swap the pvc with the new bucket? Pouring the full bucket into another bucket seems like a messy step.

Agreed, worst step of the whole process. That’s why I hesitate with larger traps. How the heck do you clean them out without emptying it and scooping the bottom?

For example the bottom of the Ryonet tank. No fuckin’ way to clean that unless you empty the whole thing. And how do you do that? The box is super heavy even before it’s full of water!

The PVC fitting is pretty tight on the bucket, plus some sealant on there. So it’s not exactly ‘quick release’. That’s why I do the pour.

I have tried to siphon off the top water but any agitation messes it all up. So far this is the simplest and easiest. Just pour it into the next bucket and let it sit.

I’ve considered putting the outlet lower though, so that there is less water in the trap to make it easier. Definitely paranoid about spilling. We’re on the 4th floor!!

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 05:13:39 PM »
Also, thank you Mr. Moose!!! Those are the exact diagrams I referenced to build this in like 2014. Really appreciate you and these boards! Thank you!!!!!

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 12:22:33 PM »
Shot in the dark but is anyone on a septic system that cares to show their filtration setup? I'm on public sewer now, and I am trying to find a new place that is still on a sewer system but a lot of the houses I'm looking at that already have workshops built on the property tend to be on a septic system.

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 02:35:50 PM »
Shot in the dark but is anyone on a septic system that cares to show their filtration setup? I'm on public sewer now, and I am trying to find a new place that is still on a sewer system but a lot of the houses I'm looking at that already have workshops built on the property tend to be on a septic system.

Just curious, what are the requirements for septic? More strict than municipal drains or just totally different?

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2019, 12:07:33 PM »

Just curious, what are the requirements for septic? More strict than municipal drains or just totally different?

That’s a great question. I actually have no idea. We’ve never had anyone test our water in the 11 years I’ve been at this building. So in our case the public sewer seems to be not strict at all.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2019, 11:44:59 AM »
I built my own system based on Pierre's  and one I saw at Greg Kitson's place.
Very simple and words well.
Certainly one of the cheapest.
1 Under the sink I have half a drum with a pipe outlet near the top.     Near the outlet pipe is a plastic piece that stops solids from flowing into the pipe.
2 The pipe from one flows into another tank that has a two stainless steel baking trays in it and the top one has a stainless steel sheet with holes in it. (I can put a sheet of filter material onto this)
3 The liquid from 2 flows into the final tank.      This also has another inlet from the sink I use for washing out screens and washing hands etc.
The liquid is pumped with a pump that has a float so when the tank is full in pumps though a filter into the drain.
This tank also has a overflow into the drain so that if the pump stops working the liquid will flow into the drain.
I have one filter but could have two for a better result.
My waste has approval from our environmental authority so I'm happy.
I took it apart to clean it yesterday and took photographs of each section.
I should clean it more often, when I clean I scoop out buckets of plastisol waste and put it into old emulsion buckets.
When it warms up I put these on the roof, the liquid evaporates and I end up with a hard cake of waste that I throw into the garbage.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il