Artist > Stuff you've done already! - show it off

When Art's NOT Fun....

(1/4) > >>

theMadArtist:
Budget is usually the biggest factor in getting work- so I TRY to let the client set it, and do my best for whatever it may be.
However, often, they INSIST you state a price...then never answer back. Such as with this, which came in last week.
Feel free to try to land this job, if you're a fellow artist- and lotsa luck if you do!

Hello,

I am looking for someone with your skills who can help me to sketch out an idea that I have and graphically create it. The image that I want designed is the biblical scene of Jesus in front of Pontius Pilate. This image has been painted by Antonio Ciseri, and it is called Ecce Homo (I have attached a picture to this email). I would like a custom version of this painting in which the perspective would not be facing the backs of the people but the direct front and faces of the people. Also, I would like it to be in that classical/Renaissance style.
I know this picture has a lot of details in it, but are you able to create this image for me? 
I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Travis Epps

My response~

I can do it, buuuuuttttttt- it may likely be more than you’d be willing to pay; for to capture that quality, it would take at LEAST a week painting it in Photoshop- after a sketch is approved.
And I don’t wish to take a chance of not being paid for that time.
How much are you willing to put INTO this project?

Mike, the Mad Artist

His response~

I am not familiar with the rate of pay for custom graphic designs. I understand this is a very detailed and time consuming design. How much do you think this should cost?

Thanks,
Travis Epps

My reply~

$800-if a Photoshop painting.
A simpler 1 or 2 color vector graphic $2-300.

No further reply from him.
How would you fellow artists deal with this?

That's quite a request- to do a similar painting of that caliber!

tonypep:
Fourteen colors after the UBase. Huge project but it has been done. Watch the minimums. To me, this would fall into the thousands. The pre-op alone can put some in the negative.

Dottonedan:
Yea, I'm thinking in my head, $800-$1000.00 min. Then, I'd have to up the price more just because it's Jesus we're talking about painting. Gotta give that your bestest best. But then be sure to tithe on Sunday.  LOL.

theMadArtist:
Thanks, guys!
It's nice to know I wasn't going further over the Deep End than usual!

mk162:
The only thing I would critique is not saying to a customer that you worry about not getting paid unless that has been a problem with this customer before.  It would rub me the wrong way if right off the bat somebody says, "I don't think you can pay for this."

Shoot him a price, even if it's a little high.  Let him know your payment terms and move on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version