Author Topic: Pantone guide. Which one?  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Pantone guide. Which one?
« on: October 19, 2019, 12:43:30 AM »
Which is the best Pantone guide to get.     There are a lot of different ones.     I saw this on Amazon.   Pantone Coated & Uncoated GP1601N Formula Guide, Set
$116.88
Price is good.
Why do they always sell they in sets.
I’ll be at L Beach will I get it cheaper there?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Pantone guide. Which one?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 09:41:53 AM »
they will probably have some sort of a deal at LB, but not sure how much. They also offer a trade in program, but again, I can't remember the details.
Reach out to Sal at salpassanisi@xrite.com (he works for Pantone) and ask about the pricing and what he might have available. We recently bought a new ColorMunki (ours is getting old and I had to patch it up couple of times), Pantone was running a great promo at the local show.

You are looking for a coated formula guide. Usually they come in a set, but you need the coated only. I would also suggest getting a Bridge as it gives you the aproximations for the Pantone numbers when done with CMYK. This should help with your Kornit so you know how close you can get on some of the colors. . .

You can have them shipped here and I can either bring with me or mail to you.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 02:04:38 PM »
Pierre what are we seeing on he computer screen?
RGB?
Maybe I should have the bridge to compare what’s on the screen to what we get from the M3 mixing system.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 09:52:42 AM »
Pierre what are we seeing on he computer screen?
RGB?
Maybe I should have the bridge to compare what’s on the screen to what we get from the M3 mixing system.

computer screen is RGB, but that is totally different and you will have a hard time matching to the screen which produces its own light. The swatches and our prints are reflecting the light.
Get a calibration tool like ColorMunki and get your monitors and printers work together. The Pantone guide will help with paper and shirts.
Bridge will show you what's the best your Kornit can do while trying to match the Pantone color. Oranges, some reds and some greens just don't even come close. Bridge will show you what's the best you can do.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 10:38:42 AM »
The problem is this, we have customers who have logos and artwork that were professionally designed and they send us Pantone colors.
Others don't have Pantone colors and our graphics department send them mock ups with Pantone colors.
They see what we sent them on screen, a RGB color with a Pantone number, they do not have a guide or sample.
When we print and use our mixing system (M3) we are working according to the Pantone CC guide which is different to what they see on screen.
Our graphics screens have been set up with Color Munki (my brother is a photographer and has one), but the customers hasn't.
What they see are screen is not the same as what we print.
I don't know if there is a solution to this problem other than a disclaimer that the colors you see will be within X % accurate.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 11:12:40 AM »
The problem is this, we have customers who have logos and artwork that were professionally designed and they send us Pantone colors.
Others don't have Pantone colors and our graphics department send them mock ups with Pantone colors.
They see what we sent them on screen, a RGB color with a Pantone number, they do not have a guide or sample.
When we print and use our mixing system (M3) we are working according to the Pantone CC guide which is different to what they see on screen.
Our graphics screens have been set up with Color Munki (my brother is a photographer and has one), but the customers hasn't.
What they see are screen is not the same as what we print.
I don't know if there is a solution to this problem other than a disclaimer that the colors you see will be within X % accurate.

use the colormunki to calibrate your color printer and send them a printout of what it's going to look like.
Other than that, the disclaimer and some education is all you can do.

pierre