Author Topic: Is this an under-cured issue?  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Admiral

Is this an under-cured issue?
« on: November 01, 2019, 10:39:37 AM »
Have a defective print on hockey jerseys unfortunately.  It seems like it would be under-cure but I am not aware of us every under-curing plastisol on polyester.  They are thicker hockey jerseys instead of say 4oz polyester shirts.  We cure polyester at 350F / 32 seconds.  12' Sprint 3000 gas dryer.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: Is this an under-cured issue?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 11:01:33 AM »
Could be, i run mini sprint and do 380 all time and adjust belt for what i am printing so for this probably 25-28fps for regualer ink poly ink is way less. Was it reg ink or poly ink.
Shane

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 11:03:33 AM »
Do you ever check the temperature of the actual print? How does this print react to a simple stretch test?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Croft

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 11:39:24 AM »
we. cure our poly inks at 285* 1min in our 10' sprint 3000, do lots of hockey jerseys.  does look a little like undercut

Offline Admiral

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
The white ink under the gold is poly white, gold is a QCM stock gold ink.

Yes, we have used our donut probes but not with a hockey jersey, just other polyester items.  I am thinking since the hockey jersey is much thicker it maybe was off by 10 degrees?  Will have to test myself in the near future.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 12:36:59 PM »
If you used poly and reg ink they usually don't cure at same rate, so yea under cured i would say.
My opinion..
Shane

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 01:14:15 PM »
The white ink under the gold is poly white, gold is a QCM stock gold ink.

Yes, we have used our donut probes but not with a hockey jersey, just other polyester items.  I am thinking since the hockey jersey is much thicker it maybe was off by 10 degrees?  Will have to test myself in the near future.

It looks undercured. You are probably also right that the thicker material takes longer to heat up and it needs to be in the dryer longer.

pierre

p.s. something to think about is that some poly inks cure at a lower temp and combining them with regular plastisol will cause problems. If the 285 ink is cured at 330 it will probably bleed.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!