Author Topic: Film printers 2019??  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Mr Tees!!

Film printers 2019??
« on: November 20, 2019, 08:43:48 PM »
hey Gang! My epson 3880 MAY have died...doing the standard head cleaning song-and-dance now. buuuut...

Whats a good Accurip option these days? Im doing some research and it looks kinda crappy...

-P800, no refillable carts, epson-only black carts ($$$) are on backorder at many places?! No thanks...

-Canon Pixma 100, not bad but only 13"wide.....hate to downgrade back to that size.

-P5000 commercial, about 2K all in with carts, carts have one-time use chips $13 apiece.

-T3270, bigger than I need, same deal with the one-use chips, although arent some of you using this as a film AND sublimation printer simultaneousely?

OR, is anyone using a different printer/RIP combo?

...any and all discussion appreciated, as we may need to make a decision REAAAALLLY soon here.

(BTW Andy, I realize this should probably be in the computer section, but I need maximum exposure on this thread, as time is a critical factor, sorry!)
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline BrazosDesigns

Re: Film printers 2019??
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 10:05:18 PM »
Hey Sean,

I was in your shoes with an Epson 4800 about 5 months ago.  Couldn't revive a clog, tried to fix it, thought it was the head, pulled the head but forgot to unplug, fried the board......etc, etc, to the street. 

I decided to take the plunge and bought a used Epson T3270 for a good price, and could not be happier.  I use it for film and for sublimation.  During the months of Oct-November I have to sublimate about 2500+ metal plates for some clients, so a printer that could do both was great.  Those in the awards business know that the HP laserjet sublimation toner is no longer available, so I had to make a switch and quick.  Bonus that I can do full color sub, too!

I'd highly recommend the T3270.  Up to 24" wide film, sublimation, or regular printing.  Don't forget, you can just use the stock ink for the c/y/m and matte black and print some nice 24" posters.

Let me know if you have any questions.  And yes, having used this, I'd pay full price for the printer if I had to.

- Darren

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 11:57:23 PM »
I have the t3270 almost 3-4 years ago after my 4800 died. i use 2 blacks and 3 cleaning from filmsdirectonline.com use 700ml carts. big carts!!! i use cadlink xl love it. i use 17" film from denco or midwest sign under 90 a roll. i use a rico gel printer for my sublimation. biggest thing is getting the best black for films for me. if you do enough dye sub might be worth it.

Shane

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 01:20:38 AM »
We got the P5000 earlier this year and so far it has been getting the job done. Currently we are still using Epson carts and the Photo black has been exposing fine except it doesn't dry well on the film and the ink will stick to the screens after exposure, killing the film.  I really need to switch to refillable carts and a better ink. 
Accurip doesn't support all black channels for this printer yet. But single channel has been fine for us. 
Honestly the T3270 may have been a better choice but at the time we really didn't need a printer that big and we dont do sublimation.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 04:48:51 AM »
I have a T3270 set up with one black and Sublimation.   All refillable cartirdges.
Works well with Accurip Black Pearl.   Sublimation is also good.
Had a few issues with the printer but that is a matter of luck with Epson.
It is bigger than the 4880 but faster.
Is you don't want to go this way then look for a used 4880, even one with a few blocked heads, with Accurip you can choose one of the open ones.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline aauusa

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 05:37:33 AM »
look at the P400   it does accurip and all black.  knock on wood but when my 1430 goes this is the way I will go.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 08:55:47 AM »
My 1430 is just about dead. Went with an Epson WF 7210. Only does 13" wide but has refillable carts and so far I like it more than I ever liked my 1430.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 11:47:50 AM »
We run a T3270 for 2 years now, film only. We're about to switch to a 1 black, 4 cleaning solution process, if I can ever get time to read over the available info. I've had to calibrate it twice for being out or register. Make the calibration, problem solved. Pretty happy with. We looked at the P800 originally, but the specs showed to be painfully slow, so we went with the T3270 from B & H Photo, and already had an AccuRIP account, so we got Black Pearl at the upgrade price of $150.00, instead of $500 added onto the printer.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online farmboygraphics

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 01:24:02 AM »
T3270 with Epson inks. Only use it for films as we have dye sub and eco-solvent printers. I use 13" x 100' rolls from Mid-State, cost $52. Very happy with the printer so far, does what I need it to do.
Tees and Coffee