screen printing > Tips and Tricks to Share (Please don't ask questions here)

Mooseman’s Simple Solids Trap

(1/3) > >>

CBCB:
Pretty sure Mooseman is the first person I saw posting details about using a simple bucket to catch solids in reclaim. I’ve had one running for years and get asked about it a fair bit so I whipped together a video to show it. This thing catches TONS of junk and keeps it out of the drains. Just one of the many great ideas on these boards!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnLR9VOtb1Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug S:
Thanks for posting.  I'm working on one right now since I just bought a new stainless washout booth.

ericheartsu:
using settling tanks is helpful, but it doesn't always filter out solids. Especially ink solids, which can sometimes have a hard time being broken down.

I'd HIGHLY suggest getting John Sheridan to build you a tank. They aren't that expensive, and they last alot longer, and filter out more!

CBCB:

--- Quote from: ericheartsu on December 22, 2019, 06:28:36 PM ---using settling tanks is helpful, but it doesn't always filter out solids. Especially ink solids, which can sometimes have a hard time being broken down.

I'd HIGHLY suggest getting John Sheridan to build you a tank. They aren't that expensive, and they last alot longer, and filter out more!

--- End quote ---

I’ve seen those tanks and they look good but I think you’ve missed the point. Yes there are better solutions available. I wouldn’t say they’re cheap though or as simple to make as this.

There’s no claim here that it filters out all the solids, just that it’s better than nothing. Which is what most people have... nothing.

Maybe because they think they need to spend hundreds when they can start preventing junk going down the drain TODAY for under $10.

Considering I passed our municipal test with flying colours with just the bucket I think that’s pretty notable. The Ryonet filter goes down to 20 microns but you can put whatever filter ya want in it. So if we wanna go lower we could.

Just saying I probably would not recommend John’s tank to someone who already owns the Ryonet one. Would definitely recommend a settling tank to anyone who owns the Ryonet one though because she’s junk without it.

ericheartsu:

--- Quote from: CBCB on December 22, 2019, 06:39:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: ericheartsu on December 22, 2019, 06:28:36 PM ---using settling tanks is helpful, but it doesn't always filter out solids. Especially ink solids, which can sometimes have a hard time being broken down.

--- End quote ---

I’ve seen those tanks and they look good but I think you’ve missed the point. Yes there are better solutions available. I wouldn’t say they’re cheap though or as simple to make as this.

There’s no claim here that it filters out all the solids, just that it’s better than nothing. Which is what most people have... nothing.

Maybe because they think they need to spend hundreds when they can start preventing junk going down the drain TODAY for under $10.

Considering I passed our municipal test with flying colours with just the bucket I think that’s pretty notable. The Ryonet filter goes down to 20 microns but you can put whatever filter ya want in it. So if we wanna go lower we could.

Just saying I probably would not recommend John’s tank to someone who already owns the Ryonet one. Would definitely recommend a settling tank to anyone who owns the Ryonet one though because she’s junk without it.

--- End quote ---

You're right, this is better than having nothing. But honestly, i Disagree. We had 3 Ryonet filters that each had 1-2 55 gallon settling tanks, and we still got TONS of solids through. Maybe it's because we are using HSA, and if you're not careful you can get dried ink chunks. But a multi step filtration system is what is needed, regardless of your ink choice.

As an industry, we need to do better, and not just "hope Osha and the government lets us pass".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version