Direct to Garment > DTG - General

Question about broad areas of solid color.

(1/3) > >>

Frog:
Used to be that DTG was not the best decorating choice for broad areas of solid single colors. Is this still the case?
Think of an almost solid 8"-10" circle of cardinal ink on a black shirt.

Dottonedan:
I really can't imagine why even in the past, the broad area of a solid color would be an issue with DTG.  Reason being, it's not like screen printing at all. No uneven pallets, no inconsistent pressure.  In fact, when I had mine, I used mine to print large areas of color often. It's all I had, so I printed all of my orders on that DTG. Now, that feel wasn't great, but I was able to do it with consistency and with no special prep. AM I an odd ball? I've never really heard of that particular subject being an issue with DTG myself. I could be mistaken.

Frog:

--- Quote from: Dottonedan on December 27, 2019, 11:26:49 AM ---I really can't imagine why even in the past, the broad area of a solid color would be an issue with DTG.  Reason being, it's not like screen printing at all. No uneven pallets, no inconsistent pressure.  In fact, when I had mine, I used mine to print large areas of color often. It's all I had, so I printed all of my orders on that DTG. Now, that feel wasn't great, but I was able to do it with consistency and with no special prep. AM I an odd ball? I've never really heard of that particular subject being an issue with DTG myself. I could be mistaken.

--- End quote ---

I base this on what I'd hear years ago. Perhaps it was the high cost of white ink, or the feel you alluded to. Of course, years ago, DTG often required more "spin" and caveats from the apologists for a number of shortcomings.
That said, today, we still all see some terrible examples of this process as all DTG is not created equal.

mimosatexas:
issues that crop up for us with LARGE solid areas:
-cost
-minor banding is more obvious
-fibration where flecks of white base are visible through the top color are more obvious.

we still do it if the volume is low, but it isnt ever going to look as good as a screenprint

Sbrem:
I've heard this and seen it as well, but on the other hand, the wife got me a shirt online that was indeed DTG, and a really nice print, slightly stiff, but we'll see how it launders. It was a simple two color, black and white on a medium gray shirt, broad areas of coverage, and no banding.

Steve

PS. Happy New Year everyone!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version