Author Topic: Plasticharge Question  (Read 2754 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Plasticharge Question
« on: June 01, 2020, 02:54:57 PM »
Can you mix Black with Plasticharge to print on Ash or Tan shirts to get a softer Black print?

I've been using Plasticharge with other color inks for a while now but never tried with Black.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Plasticharge Question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 03:45:52 PM »
Doesn't Plasticharge really lighten up the ink colors?
I seem to remember it really "pastelled" 'em.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 04:07:09 PM »
You can, just don't add the discharge additive as it will grey out the black.  It would act similar to shape or soft hand base.  However wash test this as I think the results are poor adding shape to black, looks great until it is washed.

The best soft black that is wash fast you can get is Matsui 301 with Hat Trick or Kombat Black with Hat Trick, I would just do the other colors with plasticharge and then do the 1 black screen with water base as the black waterbase doesn't dry up as bad as colors or white

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 04:24:04 PM »

Not in my experience.  I use a 60% Union Ultrasoft ink load, 40% Plasticharge and 6% activator.  Works great.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 04:25:45 PM »
You can, just don't add the discharge additive as it will grey out the black.  It would act similar to shape or soft hand base.  However wash test this as I think the results are poor adding shape to black, looks great until it is washed.

The best soft black that is wash fast you can get is Matsui 301 with Hat Trick or Kombat Black with Hat Trick, I would just do the other colors with plasticharge and then do the 1 black screen with water base as the black waterbase doesn't dry up as bad as colors or white

It's just a one color (black) print.  I'll just use my usual Union Ultrasoft Black as it is for this one.  Tks. 

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 04:26:29 PM »

This assumes that the OP has a dryer sufficient for drying waterbase. Most Plasticharge users don't.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 04:30:18 PM »

Not in my experience.  I use a 60% Union Ultrasoft ink load, 40% Plasticharge and 6% activator.  Works great.

Well, I have only used Plasticharge to avoid printing a base, printing on colored shirts, and had to really adjust my color formulas.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 05:22:04 PM »
Well, I have only used Plasticharge to avoid printing a base, printing on colored shirts, and had to really adjust my color formulas.

You need high opacity inks for them to not really shift, but I agree it does pastel the colors.  Mixopaque inks by nature are sort of pastel to my eyes, or makes them the "uncoated" version.

If your dryer works for plasticharge, it would work for water base as well, run a flash or two before coming off the press to start the evaporation process, and slow it to turtle speed

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 08:41:47 PM »

I posted the percentages wrong for Ultrasoft.  For Ultrasoft, I use 70% ink load, 30% plasticharge and 6% activator.   

This print used those percentages with Ultrasoft Golden Yellow on Gildan Navy. 

Dryer is an OLD 2 panel Econored running at snail pace of course.  The dryer has a fan that vents up and outside but not forced air.

I don't see any pastelling and extremely soft after washing.  Am I missing something?  Plasticharge has opened up a lot of options for me.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:46:05 PM by screenxpress »

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 10:26:05 PM »
Am I missing something?  Plasticharge has opened up a lot of options for me.

Nope, plasticharge is a great product that is often overlooked for something like water base discharge which is much harder to use in my opinion and also has color shifts like plasticharge.

Back when I was using plasticharge like 8 years ago it was reds, oranges, and trying to hit pantone colors that are difficult, and maxopaque by nature is sort of a pastel in.

Again, great product, makes life easy, lowers ink cost, you don't have to use a base, customer gets a great product, easier to print than discharge, not sure why more people don't use it.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 05:16:04 PM »
Am I missing something?  Plasticharge has opened up a lot of options for me.

Nope, plasticharge is a great product that is often overlooked for something like water base discharge which is much harder to use in my opinion and also has color shifts like plasticharge.

Back when I was using plasticharge like 8 years ago it was reds, oranges, and trying to hit pantone colors that are difficult, and maxopaque by nature is sort of a pastel in.

Again, great product, makes life easy, lowers ink cost, you don't have to use a base, customer gets a great product, easier to print than discharge, not sure why more people don't use it.

Ditto

Offline TL

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 04:56:33 PM »
Right now I am having issues with a job using plasticharge(not Union), I am using it mixed with white for a base on black Next Level shirts and I can't seem to get the base to lay a nice consistent layer on the fabric.  I have used it before the same way and it worked great but this time it doesn't seem to want to take the dye out consistently(looks slightly patchy and in some spots even a little rough).  Would this possibly be caused by old activator?  Not enough pressure?   Too much pressure?  The screen is 123 mesh(should I use higher mesh?) with white/plascharge mix.  I tried 1 pass, 2 passes, lower pressure(40 psi), higher pressure(55psi) but it will not lay down a nice even consistent base.

Any thoughts???

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 10:23:58 PM »
Right now I am having issues with a job using plasticharge(not Union), I am using it mixed with white for a base on black Next Level shirts and I can't seem to get the base to lay a nice consistent layer on the fabric.  I have used it before the same way and it worked great but this time it doesn't seem to want to take the dye out consistently(looks slightly patchy and in some spots even a little rough).  Would this possibly be caused by old activator?  Not enough pressure?   Too much pressure?  The screen is 123 mesh(should I use higher mesh?) with white/plascharge mix.  I tried 1 pass, 2 passes, lower pressure(40 psi), higher pressure(55psi) but it will not lay down a nice even consistent base.

Any thoughts???

I'll throw in my 2c until one of the heavy use guys comes on.  For me, I actually am using the Ryonet Ryocharge but I think many products are similar so doubt brand is an issue.  I'm using Union Inks with the Ryocharge.

I think for white underbase with plasticharge, you may want something like a 80(plasti)/20 or 85/15 mix although I thought for underbase it was recommended to use a clear discharge for underbase.

My activator is quite old so I don't think that's an issuel

I think you may want to up the screen mesh some.  Maybe 165-180s

I'm manual so can't offer anything on pressure settings.

Maybe that will give you some ideas until one of the heavy users can chime in.

I notice you mentioned "can't seem to get the base to lay a nice consistent layer on the fabric".  Isn't it supposed to drive into the substrate where it blends and not lay on top?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 10:27:09 PM by screenxpress »