Author Topic: print & cut for apparel  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
print & cut for apparel
« on: March 03, 2020, 11:25:50 AM »
We have a Roland GX-24, and a few color printers here, and I have a chance I figure to print and cut my own short run heat transfers for left fronts or sleeves mostly. Can anyone tell me the best type of inks to use for washability? I've tried searching, but that's a lot of rabbit holes to go down, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline farmboygraphics

Re: print & cut for apparel
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 12:16:40 PM »
Do you have solvent ink printers?
Tees and Coffee

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 12:26:04 PM »
yeah, what type of color printers? you cant use just any ol printer.  you need ecosol or latex. siser makes some decent materials when you're ready to purchase..
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 12:39:14 PM »
otherwise, you are limited to the standard opaque transfer materials like Neenah Jet Opaque or 3G which print with standard inkjet pigment inks.
Myself, I avoid opaque transfers in general because they lack suppleness. This is especially true of these that rely on standard inks.
Even with the solvent inks printed on their films, because of this "patchier" feel, I avoid anything larger than a small left breast on T's. Sweats are a lot more forgiving, and, of course, hats don't care!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 04:36:10 PM »
I didn't really think I could just get ink for one of my printers, but now I know for sure. I was guessing solvent or eco-solvent, but wasn't sure. The info is a little scattered out there. Is there a desktop that could handle the solvent ink, does anyone know? The springtime gates seem to have opened today; from dead to overwhelmed with actual orders.

Steve

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 06:00:45 PM »
I didn't really think I could just get ink for one of my printers, but now I know for sure. I was guessing solvent or eco-solvent, but wasn't sure. The info is a little scattered out there. Is there a desktop that could handle the solvent ink, does anyone know? The springtime gates seem to have opened today; from dead to overwhelmed with actual orders.

Steve

Roland and Mutoh make 24" wide printers, the Roland is a print / cut the Mutoh is just print, the valuejet 628. nice thing is they don't need to be babysat like a DTG.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 06:32:31 AM »

Steve

Roland and Mutoh make 24" wide printers, the Roland is a print / cut the Mutoh is just print, the valuejet 628. nice thing is they don't need to be babysat like a DTG.

If you go that route you may as well spend the extra $ and get a 30" so you can handle more materials.
Tees and Coffee

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 12:05:46 PM »
I'm thinking we don't see enough of this type of work to justify bringing it in house, when we have Transfer Express taking care of it now. Thanks everyone, I hope you're all busy...

Steve