Author Topic: Atlantic City and Corona?  (Read 9219 times)

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
Re: Atlantic City and Corona?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 03:08:14 PM »
Pierre has brought up a great point of discussion regarding the upcoming Atlantic City Impressions Expo and the Corona virus.  I apologize for a bit of redirection as I hijack this thread and propose the following.

Regardless of the 'official' decision regarding the upcoming event I think most will agree the Expo will not be all that it could be with the well justified concerns about personal and economic health that we are faced with.

With a little attention to personal hygiene the 'average' adult has little to worry about regarding travel to this event. 

With reservations made and scheduled time off already on the books I propose that attending can still have a substantial ROI.  MAKE the time to touch base with peers who are still attending and contrast and compare where your business currently is and where is is going in the future.

Even if you choose to not make the physical trip to AC take advantage of the time blocked off your calendar to begin your own business audit and review.  Be your own consultant and re-visit those things you know  you need to do to improve your business.

Thoughts from the trenches appreciated.....

My 2 cents.
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 03:14:16 PM »
  I'd rather lose money than put my employees in danger.

what danger? a cough?....damn media has the world upside down....

It's a lot more than a cough.  I am of the mindset don't panic, do prepare.  I fall more in the middle in my view of it.  I will say though that I wouldn't do a conference...vacation yes, conference or trade show, no.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 03:41:02 PM »
  I'd rather lose money than put my employees in danger.

what danger? a cough?....damn media has the world upside down....

It's a lot more than a cough.  I am of the mindset don't panic, do prepare.  I fall more in the middle in my view of it.  I will say though that I wouldn't do a conference...vacation yes, conference or trade show, no.

Accusations of hoaxes and fake news and Presidential untruths and blunders notwithstanding, all health folks seem to point out the potential especially raised danger for those of us over 60, and advise currently avoiding situations that place a lot of people, some possibly infected, together in close quarters. This is not panic or over-reacting, it's called prudence. Changing our behavior for a few months is a pretty damn simple yet effective prophylactic measure.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2020, 04:03:16 PM »

Even if you choose to not make the physical trip to AC take advantage of the time blocked off your calendar to begin your own business audit and review.  Be your own consultant and re-visit those things you know  you need to do to improve your business.

RIGHT here is the jewel from this thread to pay attention to. For me personally if I scheduled to go somewhere and things fall through(maybe a MEG workshop or 3 among other things) I am right back at work the next day as if it were a regular work day. If you blocked that time off to better your business in one way or another, it is great advice to keep with that commitment even if it is not going to the trade show/class/bar or whatever...   
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2020, 07:58:43 PM »
Pierre has brought up a great point of discussion regarding the upcoming Atlantic City Impressions Expo and the Corona virus.  I apologize for a bit of redirection as I hijack this thread and propose the following.

Regardless of the 'official' decision regarding the upcoming event I think most will agree the Expo will not be all that it could be with the well justified concerns about personal and economic health that we are faced with.

With a little attention to personal hygiene the 'average' adult has little to worry about regarding travel to this event. 

With reservations made and scheduled time off already on the books I propose that attending can still have a substantial ROI.  MAKE the time to touch base with peers who are still attending and contrast and compare where your business currently is and where is is going in the future.

Thoughts from the trenches appreciated.....

My 2 cents.

How about a workshop at MEG?

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2020, 02:34:51 AM »
I think you guys are underestimating the devastating effects of the virus.
I see that all European flights have been banned.
The problem is not getting the virus, most healthy people will survive with not much more than a flu like sickness, problem is that once you get it you spread it to others.
They said that if a person with regular flu infects 9 other people on average with Corona it's 40+.
In Israel they have not stopped flights but there aren't many because everybody arriving in the country has to go into a 2 week isolation.
They have not restricted gatherings to 100 people, no weddings, sport, concerts, trade shows.
I suggest you start thinking about how you are going to survive, do you have bank loans?    Leases to pay?     Salaries?       
I am there now, I need about $100,000 a month of sales to cover my running expenses.      I'm not going to get near that so how long can I last without firing everybody and taking other drastic measures.
Most of the world has some sort of public health system that can test people and try and control the spread and they are not succeeding.      Italy do not have respirators for all the sick people, I heard that they are taking elderly people off support systems inorder to save young people.       The USA is not prepared for Coronavirus.      This is like a major storm coming your way, you know it's coming just a matter of when.     Be prepared.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2020, 03:05:31 AM »
Recession is coming for sure, like Maxie is alluding to. I would cut staff now, you cannot help them if you are out of business. I just audited my expenses for places I can cut.
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2020, 03:15:11 AM »
I'm also a speaker but definitely on the fence about going.
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2020, 05:24:10 AM »
SPSI has cancelled too so no MHM

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2020, 06:36:18 AM »
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2020, 08:58:14 AM »
Very unlikely that there will be a ISS Altlantic city.
One thing about this virus it multiplies fast.
Two weeks ago Italy had a few cases, today it's under lock down.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2020, 10:18:31 AM »
Good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZFhjMQrVts

thank you for posting that. best info I've seen so far. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2020, 10:23:19 AM »
Good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZFhjMQrVts

thank you for posting that. best info I've seen so far. . .

pierre

I think its important people get informed but don't panic.

Odds are most of us will not even get sick. But we will go broke in the economic fall out.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline KevinD

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2020, 10:33:11 AM »
I just got the e-mail. 

Impressions Atlantic City 2020 postponed until October 2020
The health and safety of each and every member of our community and our staff is of the utmost importance to us. After closely monitoring the risk and impact of COVID-19 on a daily basis, and speaking at length with members of our community, Impressions Expo Atlantic City, which had been scheduled for March 19-21, 2020, at the Atlantic City Convention Center in Atlantic City, NJ., has been postponed to October. Impressions Expo Atlantic City 2020 will now take place Thursday, October 8 to Saturday, October 10, 2020, at the Atlantic City Convention Center in Atlantic City, NJ.

The recent developments regarding COVID-19, including, but not limited to, the State of Emergency recently announced by Governor Phil Murphy, the declaration by the WHO of COVID-19 as a pandemic, the accelerating pace of confirmed cases worldwide and domestically, the current quarantines and travel restrictions imposed by government authorities affecting participating companies, various company-imposed travel restrictions on employees, and the cancellation of several key Impressions Expo Atlantic City customers, partners and speakers, made it impossible to effectively execute a March event that delivers the level of education, connection, and customer value our communities expect. Driven by our responsibility to produce a great event and best serve the interests of our Impressions communities, we made the decision to postpone the Atlantic City event until October 2020.

Impressions Expo’s mission is providing purchasing, networking and educational opportunities for decorated apparel communities to learn how to make their business platforms more profitable and to navigate the marketplace efficiently. This priority is the driving force behind our commitment to produce an October 2020 show that meets the needs and expectations of our communities.

We are focused on continuing to serve our industry, creating ways to connect and working closely with our communities, to provide the necessary support and information to prepare them for a successful October 2020 show.

We appreciate your ongoing loyalty to Impressions Expo Atlantic City and thank you in advance for your understanding. The information on our website will be promptly updated and further announcements regarding the October 8-10, 2020, edition of Impressions Expo Atlantic City will be posted in due course.

For all exhibitors, please know that your Impressions Expo Atlantic City booth space is still reserved for the October event! Our team will be reaching out with a one-page contract addendum requiring acknowledgement of the new event dates. You can also expect a full FAQ list later this week, which may help address any and all other questions that come with date change logistics.
Best Regards,
Impressions Expo Management Team

Kevin Dumont/General Manager/GM Graphics
Office 231-652.2210 ext 218 Cell  616-322-5925
kdumont@gmcompanies.com www.gmgraphicssupply.com
Facebook/Instragram/Linkedin/Youtube  "GM Graphics"

Offline BP

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2020, 12:28:31 PM »
SHIRT HAPPENS!