Author Topic: Another by Dottone  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Donnie

• !!!
Another by Dottone
« on: January 03, 2012, 12:31:33 AM »
3 Colors...

Offline dburgessjr

• Verified/Junior
  • It's all about MƎ
Re: Another by Dottone
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:53:19 AM »
both the artwork and printing look really good but the actual basketball is incorrect.  you have two to many crease lines on the ball.  its hard to explain but if you take a look more closely you see what I talking about.

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:42:26 AM »
I seriously doubt anyone calls Bull Sh!t on the basketball.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 10:51:39 AM »
Looks nice and clean.  FM dots?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
@ Screenfoo,

No sir,  traditional AM dots. Interestingly enough, I did consider using FM when designing it but decided not to at the separation process.
I do prefer FM dots on higher end sim process jobs. I submitted one design BLOOD MOON for this years SGIA competition under the (special effects) category due to using a hybrid combo of AM and FM dots. I was excited about it ;)  but the judges didn't think it was "special effect" enough and it didn't place. Another more less complicated job that I separated did take 2nd place though but it was using AM dots.

For those not familiar with the acronyms  AM is what most of you already use.  Read this.

http://qualityinprint.blogspot.com/2009/02/fm-screening-dot-shapespatterns.html#comment-form

and this one as well.

http://www.professionalprinting.com/fm-and-am-screening-comparison/

These are both VERY good articles on the subject.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 01:15:57 PM »
Nice printing and art work fellers, but Dan I know fm (square dots) are mainly use in sim printing , but what about doing a 4 color process with fm dots whadda think? is it possible how would it look.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 01:17:04 PM »
both the artwork and printing look really good but the actual basketball is incorrect.  you have two to many crease lines on the ball.  its hard to explain but if you take a look more closely you see what I talking about.

You are correct and I respect your observation. I didn't even notice it. Had I recognized that my source file was inaccurate, I would have fixed it knowing the type of person that I am. I prefer to be more accurate to real life as well.

With that said, as it pertains to design discussion in general, it's not always required to be 100% accurate in a design to real life. For example, if you look at the sun rays, you will see arrow heads on them. You wouldn't normally see sun rays like that so it's more of an artistic representation of a sun ray. The reflections or gradations on the type, are unique and begs the question...how does that happen in this design? They don't really. It just looks good.

I see your point tho. A baseball should look like a baseball and not a softball for your baseball design.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 01:23:28 PM »
Hey, that is a Chinese made Basketball. What they know how the basketball is suposed to look  LOL

Just kidding, I looked at it and I did not see it. Not  many people will notice it........ lets hope :)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 01:54:37 PM »
Nice printing and art work fellers, but Dan I know fm (square dots) are mainly use
in sim printing , but what about doing a 4 color process with fm dots whadda think?
is it possible how would it look.
Darryl

Yes, it's very possible. I've done it. You don't "need' halftones and angles in process printing.

For a while in the off set industry, it was pretty popular to use the FM dots aka Stochastic dots.
Then they let it fade away as it wasnt always as beneficial for them, but it stuck longer in the
screen printing world for a few more years and then faded away again.

It's best to be used on multi color jobs but for some reason, when I was doing it in 8,10 and 14
color jobs. I noticed the retail industry started using it in a 1 color gradation method on packaging.
I think maybe more so as a "design element". No sure on that.  Any ways, It's popularity slowly
decreased but I like to keep it alive. In my opinion, it produced the best results for sim process
using the highest mesh and finest details (but like indexing,) I prefer only using it when I'm able
to mix %'s of 3 or more colors together in a design.

On this job for Mr Donnie Miller @ Miller Graphics, I sort of do the same thing here that I do on stochastic halftones. I made good use of blending colors to achieve other colors. Not large percentages of either color. Just a little. As you can see, Donnie was able to get some very unique colors our of this RED, BLUE and YELLOW. He's an excellent printer as well.

Regarding FM dots (stochastic dots), here is one that I did with Pierre, but in sim process using primary colors. You can see much of it is greens and pinks and beige. I think it was 230 resolution and 305 mesh. The dots were close
to a 2% dot in a 60 line screen throughout the art.

The one we did for SGIA (Blood Moon) was even higher than this. I think it was 260 ppi and 330
mesh. Probably close to a 2-3% dot in a 70 line screen. I really appreciate this type of work more
than the average person I guess. LOL.

Keep in mind, that even in the type here, (the orange type) is 100% solid pms 102 yellow + maybe
15-20% of the red PMS 032. It's so fine that it really blends in much more with the yellow type
printing wet on wet that it really looks like an Orange was used as a spot color.

By the way, this job was done via DTG originally for my first order. The customer liked it so much
that they wanted to up the order and do re-orders. So, I had to separate it for traditional printing
and at the same time, keep the over all look form the DTG.AS most DTG pritners know, this is not
easy and probably unachievable by the average printer. I think all of this art was printed with 6 colors.

1 Base white, 2 Yellow, 3 Red, 4 Blue 5 Black, 6Highlight white. I'll also point out that your registration
for high end work like this needs to be dead on.

He's a good printer, that Pierre. ;)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:11:32 PM by Dottonedan »

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 09:26:17 PM »
Threw in a little vid for visual print reference....

Oil Center.wmv

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 10:26:29 AM »
Hey Donnie,

noticed you are using EZ frames. How do you like them?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »
I really like them. My only complaint would be their weight.  Heavy biatches.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »
Hey thats cool vid Donnie for a sec I thought I was about to watch a movie LOL...you do some amazing printing

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!