Author Topic: Customer Says They Aren't Paying!  (Read 4523 times)

Offline Donnie

• !!!
Re: Customer Says They Aren't Paying!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 04:35:59 PM »
I am setting here waiting for 2400 from an oil company that last year paid off like clock work. I've called 3 times and sent 3 invoices. I know they got the $$$$...  One of the employees told me the owner's wife is a real live "speak in tongues" religious fanatic.  I have no ideal why she told me that unless some how she thinks I'm the anit-Christ. 

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 04:57:37 PM »
Any off the street customer always paids 50% up front, our business, schools customers we give 30 days.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 04:59:29 PM »
I'm back.  We got paid.  Done deal.

I walked in, asked to see our contact there who does all the purchasing and said hey, I'm sure there is a mixup and some one has failed to communicate at some point but your accountant told Kristen this morning that she wasn't paying for this last order until we can prove that we delivered the order.  He about came out of his chair and was flat out embarrassed and apologized profusely and that he had no idea that there was an issue and that they were late on the payment.  He then asked if I minded waiting a few minutes while he goes and talks to the poor lady who was so rude to us I presume, and I'll be damned if I didn't hear him reaming someone's ace and then he came back in his office with a check.

I honestly think that if we would have continued to just dance around and play on the phone with this lady that it would have gotten really ugly and we would have lost a customer.  But because I cleaned myself up, and went there and acted like a gentleman, I have no doubt they are a customer for a long time, and honestly, a pretty damn good one.  They've bought over 1000 embroidered polos from us since September.

We talked about business, golf, watches and by the time I left there, I had a potential new golf buddy and a very solid business relationship that earlier in the day was hanging by a thread.  All because I went and handled this the way I felt was right.  There might be circumstances that my action might not have worked as well, but I think those are by far the minority.

See there, a happy ending that's not in a massage parlor.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 05:11:39 PM »
Awesome Alan...at the end of the day it is all about relationships.  this one you just set in ( my best southern draw ) CEMENT!!!  way to go and way to keep us screenprinters in good light with the public!

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 05:12:27 PM »
I'm back.  We got paid.  Done deal.

I walked in, asked to see our contact there who does all the purchasing and said hey, I'm sure there is a mixup and some one has failed to communicate at some point but your accountant told Kristen this morning that she wasn't paying for this last order until we can prove that we delivered the order.  He about came out of his chair and was flat out embarrassed and apologized profusely and that he had no idea that there was an issue and that they were late on the payment.  He then asked if I minded waiting a few minutes while he goes and talks to the poor lady who was so rude to us I presume, and I'll be damned if I didn't hear him reaming someone's ace and then he came back in his office with a check.

I honestly think that if we would have continued to just dance around and play on the phone with this lady that it would have gotten really ugly and we would have lost a customer.  But because I cleaned myself up, and went there and acted like a gentleman, I have no doubt they are a customer for a long time, and honestly, a pretty damn good one.  They've bought over 1000 embroidered polos from us since September.

We talked about business, golf, watches and by the time I left there, I had a potential new golf buddy and a very solid business relationship that earlier in the day was hanging by a thread.  All because I went and handled this the way I felt was right.  There might be circumstances that my action might not have worked as well, but I think those are by far the minority.

See there, a happy ending that's not in a massage parlor.

Sometimes what you did is the best way of doing it. There is nothing better than going straight to the source and getting it handled. Glad it worked out.

Now you have to change that avatar sow we can see the cleaned up guy.....lol
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 05:24:31 PM »
Alan I,ve had to do what you did, but we lost the customer due them thinking we were being pushy about getting paid.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 05:37:38 PM »
My girlfriend used to work for a local, small plant nursery that had a generous return policy of refunding any plant that dies
within a year or something. More of a kind gesture than anything, I'd doubt many people would take advantage of it
unless a plant was sold that was obviously unhealthy. (defective?)

There is/was however one customer that habitually abused the policy. the wife of an incredibly wealthy (and shady) local
real estate developer. Literally the man up on the hill.

She would come in, schnockered on vodka at 10AM, buy a thousand dollars worth of plants (literally) refuse all advice
and suggestions as to husbandry, take the plants home, kill them, and then return them for her refund. This happened fairly frequently.
I'm guessing there is more to the story (developer's landscapers using said nursery, etc.) but it illustrates to me the
type of people (Donnie's tongue speaker brought this to mind) that make having set policies and signatures for
everything an unfortunate reality. 

Offline terryei

• !!!
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 07:50:39 PM »
Good for you Alan, communication and straight forward business got the job done.
Terry

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 08:56:28 PM »
The power of a handshake always trumps.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 05:18:23 PM »
Yeah, I just got off the phone with my late payer. They are cutting the check now. I was nice too. ::)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 05:42:25 PM »
The old saying is still true, you catch more fish with honey than you do dynamite...or is it more flies with stinky pooh than sweet vinegar...or more bees with chicken liver than enchiladas?  Oh hell, you get the point :)  Only be a dick as a last resort and you'll probably never have to.

I think I may have screwed up yesterday...I have been handed a list of a few more overdue's so it looks like my job description just grew again.  Damnit, now I'm gonna have to dress a little more professional and shave more often if I'm going to go out collecting.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 06:10:52 PM »
Collection calls should not come off as collection calls.....Ask them how they are doing, what projects are upcoming, any marketing problems they need to solve and almost as an afterthought ask about the outstanding invoice.....Often easier to rehabilitate an existing client than find new ones.....

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 04:47:59 PM »
I've been habitually plagued by lousy mailmen at my shop locations.
So for me it has always been "wanted to check and see if payment
has been sent or if I need to have a word with my mailman." Leaves
them open to say yes or no without placing blame or sounding rude.

Try it, works every time.